Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What year are these forks (Manitou Minutes) and whats wrong with them?
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

And the answer isn't "they are Manitous"- hopefully!

Problem

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifonlyiwastheone/4478504597/

Apart from the obvious mess on the arch, they seem pretty noisy. Any ideas? Rebound seems ok, if slightly limited (one half a turn or so of adjustment!)

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

what do you mean by noisy?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Watch the video!

woody2000

Think I'd be noisy if you were tw*tting me about like that! 🙂

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

oh yeah! soz,

thats an odd one, if youre not getting much adjustment and its making that type of noise i'd suggest you strip 'em down and see whats going on – obviously something sounds broken….

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Lol, yes fair point- but it doesn't seem right regardless. I won't be keeping them, but if they are knackered I want to know about it before I pass them on!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

sounds like they're topping out? Are they?

fivespot
    Free Member

Maybe the SPV valve partially or fully stuck, giving little or no damping, hence the topping out noise.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Anyone know what year they are so I can find the right manual?

They've only had the street test, but theres a slight amount of dead travel when you lift them off the ground.

warpcow
    Free Member

In my experience Manitous don't have much rebound adjustment. My last set had about 2/3 of a turn.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

warpcow, have heard that elsewhere so not too concerned about that- ta

rs
    Free Member

are those quick release leavers on the dropouts standard, hadn't seen that on minutes before, I had 2008 minutes and it was just regular screws.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Standard, on what I think are 07 forks.

glenh
    Free Member

Can't tell what he hell is going on in that vid.

Do they just make noise or is the action wrong somehow?
    If it's just noise, what sort and when does it happen?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Its top-out noise. Feel smooth otherwise.

As I said- haven't had them on a proper ride yet- "car park" only.

glenh
    Free Member

Are they SPV forks? If so, and there is not enough pressure in the spv chamber you will get a clonking noise from the valve slamming shut on rebound (also the rebound damping will be missing initially in the deep part of the rebound stroke).

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I think they are SPV- red valve on the top? Its at 60psi, with the other one at 140psi.

glenh
    Free Member

Hmm, well, 60 psi should be plenty. Might be low on damping oil.
    If it's the spring side that's the problem, I'm not sure, since my minutes are coil sprung.

rs
    Free Member
    soobalias
    Free Member

i had 2004 minutes, the manual said min 30psi in the spv, if i ran anything under 60 it topped out heavily.

try upping it, it might make the fork unrideable but it would isolate the problem.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What year are these forks (Manitou Minutes) and whats wrong with them?’ is closed to new replies.