Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What wheelset should I choose
  • benjamin_mtb
    Free Member

I was thinking of getting a new wheelset for my mtb which would you choose?

I will be mainly doing trail / enduro riding

Options

Nukeproof horizon pros

Santa cruz reserve alloy

Dt swiss EX 1700 or E 1900

Hope fortus 30 pro 5

dyna-ti

Hope fortus 30 pro 5

TheFlyingOx

I know they’re not on your list but my mate swears by Silt wheels – https://siltmtb.com/

His son rides in some junior enduro thing in Ireland and he’s generally pretty hardcore, the wheels have proved indestructible so far.

I have Fortus 30/Pro5’s on my e-tank and Horizon Pro’s on my aggro HT

As a habitual rim dinger, both sets are holding up well – the Nukeproofs are lighter though I believe

hardtailonly

Dt swiss EX 1700 or E 1900

^^^

quentyn

I have the hope fortus sc’s on my trail bike and they are lovely – wife has the DT swiss 1900’s on hers and she hasn’t complained

Both have a thumbs up from me

hijodeputa
    Free Member

Going through the same choices at the moment. One bike needs new wheels, knackered hub, and the other has made of cheese stock WTB. I got a Halo vortex in the sale at the weekend for the bike that needs it and am eyeing the E1900 for the other one.  I would have liked the Reserve’s if I didn’t need to buy 2 sets at once, with Swiss hubs and lifetime warranty. I think that’s every choice recommended now 🤣 Can’t go wrong with any of them I reckon, but the lifetime warranty is only on reserve I believe.

chakaping
    Free Member

Dt swiss EX 1700

Best in the biz.

Or custom built DT rims on Hope hubs.

a11y

Or custom built DT rims on Hope hubs.

+1

Pro5s with whatever DT Swiss rim suits your needs. Personally I use EX511/471 for ‘enduro’ riding, and XM421 on my trail bike. DB spokes, brass nipples.

SirHC

Fortus’ are heavy and soft.

DT rims on either DT hubs or hope hubs. Will be fit and forget.

nuke

Custom: DT rims on Hope hubs

Off the shelf: DT Swiss

finbar
    Free Member

There’s some half price DT EX471 rims on Biketart in 29″/32h flavour.

Del

Newmen 😉

twonks

I’m a fatty and have Hope hubs and EX511 on my full suss that gets a bit of a beating – not a jumper though.

Never put a foot wrong and never needed straightening. Bought 3 sets of wheels through Moonglu and all been perfect.

Also got a set of EX511 rims from Biketart in 32H/29 for under £50 each, to build up another spare set and practice my building skills.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.