• This topic has 104 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • what waterproof shorts for this winter ?
  • iainc

I bought a pair of Madison Tempest’s last year and never wore them in anger, and have since lost a bit of weight, so looking for something else.

What the current recommendation ?

jam-bo

budget? I’ve got some sweet mudrides on the way but they aren’t cheap.

iainc

budget – I guess £50 – £70. Ideally available in an LBS so I can try, or a CRC/Wiggle where I can order a few sets !

Northwind

I’ll be in my altura attacks again, they’re ace… Had to retire a set this year as they were absolutely worn out, but it took a good while.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i bought some sweet protection mudrides too, they appear to be awesome tbh. slightly above your budget at about 80 quid from one of the german online places. i got size S, which is a snug 32″ fit-wise.

v666ern
    Free Member

mates just bought some Tenn’s that he’s raving about circa £25, UK company if that matters

iainc

I had Altura Attacks, which were great, but I fell between sizing on them, hence got the Tempests !

Bregante

mates just bought some Tenn’s that he’s raving about

That’ll be these

http://tenn-outdoors.co.uk/products/tenn-mens-protean-mtb-downhill-cycling-shorts

Might get a pair myself now the alturas have given up the ghost. Quid cheaper on eBay too.

jam-bo

slightly above your budget at about 80 quid from one of the german online places. i got size S, which is a snug 32″ fit-wise.

snap. i’m gambling on being the right side of that snug fit…

beano68
    Free Member

Sweeeeet Protection ….. the dogs bollox 😉

iainc

those tenn ones look good for the money for sure. Amazon reviews say they size up very small….

mikey3
    Free Member

I bought a tenn waterproof jacket for £25 from a thread on here in fact,wore it in about 5 hours rain today and it coped really well and if fits great and seems well made,i,m going to take a chance on their waterproof shorts from their ebay store for £20 aswell .Happy to pay for gore etc when I have the cash but atm I haven’t and this tenn stuff seems decent for the money.

postierich
    Free Member

bookmarked!

kcal

buy a belt / braces and try them again ??

I like my two pairs of Madison shorts, Zenith and ? Attack? If I was going for full on waterproof I’d try the next one up..

iainc

cheers, took a punt on the tenn ones on their ebay store and went for L, given sizing comments on Amazon (I am a M in Endura singletracks and the Madisons that I am now punting are a Medium…).

Will report back 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have used Madison, Endura and Tenn ones over the years. The Tenns have been the shortest lived- they’ve lasted about 6 rides and the seams have all come to bits around the crotch. The Enduras similarly seem to blow apart fairly easy, but I’ve had a good two or three years out of mine, although the hip pocket came away from the main short leaving a gaping non-waterproof hole after 18 months. The Madisons seem hardest to kill.

keefmac

bought some tenn ones as mentioned above and they were very small. now have some madison tempest in the same size and theyre a great fit. paid about 35 quid i think

dannyh
    Free Member

Army surplus goretex overtrousers, cut down and sew a seam at the bottom (although not strictly necessary as the goretex shouldn’t fray).

If you’ve lost weight be careful with sizing – they are design to be worn over laden combat trousers, so are honest in their sizing plus a bit more for luck.

You can get a decent set for £25.

devs
    Free Member

I’ve come to the conclusion that the Enduras and Alturas are nice but just don’t last. Certainly not worth the £50+ price tag they have. The Tenns are more hard wearing against gritty arse and much cheaper. The best are the ex army ones, I’ve had a set for years that are still waterproof. They just don’t look good or have pockets. I won’t be paying more than £17 again which is what the Tenns and Army stuff cost me.

z1ppy

I’ve come to the conclusion that the Enduras and Alturas are nice but just don’t last

Think my 4 year old Alutra attack 3/4 might have some issue with that (eventually split down the ass but I’ve still had them sown up as spares – though less waterproof) and the replacement year old (or is it longer) Attacks that still look new (under the mud). Not bought any Endura stuff for years, (so quality may have suffered since) because.. well it lasted years.

Iain if you’ve lost some weight, would that have not have fixed the between sizes issue?

boxelder

+1 for Alturas. I’ve done 12+ hour days in mine and it’s more comfortable in them than just in lycra (drier too obviously). Mine are looking worn, but must be approaching 1000 miles.

Iain if you’ve lost some weight, would that have not have fixed the between sizes issue?

Nice logic.

zelak999
    Free Member

Splashed out (no pun) on the sweet protection shorts.
    Two rides in and I’m not sure if I like em or not, great weather protection but the back seems a bit low cut.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The Tenn Protean shorts are no good! the pair I got as a replacement spilt at the exact same seem after a handful of rides, less than a season p1ss poor!

iainc

Not really, I used to be a M in Altura’s and now find them too large and the S too small 😀

Northwind

devs – Member

I’ve come to the conclusion that the Enduras and Alturas are nice but just don’t last

Like I say, I finally retired one pair of alturas after I think 3 years, maybe 4, and a lot of miles. Tough as old boots. The bum’s visibly worn away and the popper’s worn out but that’s all really. And just standard machine washing too, no careful handling

devs
    Free Member

Like I say, I finally retired one pair of alturas after I think 3 years, maybe 4, and a lot of miles. Tough as old boots. The bum’s visibly worn away and the popper’s worn out but that’s all really. And just standard machine washing too, no careful handling

And I’ve binned them after less than one winter. First they leak at the arse and then they split. I have a set that I use for wet but not very wet rides when it’s not gonna be real mucky. I won’t be paying for another set though.

siloseven
    Free Member

I’ve just got some race face agent winter shorts, they’re really well made and supposed to be fully waterproof (nice 3 layer fabric) but not worn them yet. Pricey at £80 though

oxym0r0n

Watching this with interest too as my Alturas are no longer waterproof and I don’t want to spend £££

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member
    racingsnail
    Free Member

I ordered a pair of Royal Storm shorts, no idea what the’re going to be like couldn’t find much in the way of reviews but they look good, plain and not waterproof-y.
    Not arrived yet but will be tested soon, got 4 days off over the weekend so guaranteed to be pissing down.

butcher

I had some Tenn shorts and they didn’t last long at all. The rigid waterproof strips sealing the seams ate through the material and they eventually just ripped through the entire arse. Lasted about 3 or 4 months, so pretty expensive really. Same thing happened to my Aldi Waterproof pants. They’d be better off without the seals.

Size was alright though I thought. In fact pretty big and baggy.

tom.nash

Sweet Protection Mudrides are awesome, bought a second pair as I ride a lot and was that impressed.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

How do those Sweet Protection Mudrides size up..!? I’m looking around and they only seem to be available in S or XL.?
    From the size guide I think I’d be an L as most of my other shorts are nice and roomy at a 38″ waist which equates to an L whereas the XL seems to come up at a 40″ which would likely lead to a comedy loss of shorts at the wrong moment.!!!!

dienamic

I got a pair of Endura MT500 last year – absolute crap. The arse lasted about a dozen rides, of which I’d probably class 3 or 4 as being wet. It’s a shame, as the rest of the shorts still look brand new, and they’re comfy as hell.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some of the iron on type patches or tape? Would need to be fairly big, think the biggest hole’s about 3″ now!

jam-bo

I’ve just got some race face agent winter shorts, they’re really well made and supposed to be fully waterproof (nice 3 layer fabric) but not worn them yet. Pricey at £80 though

I looked at them but they appear to have a massive vent (hole??) across the back. kinda defeats the point of a waterproof short to me.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Also interested in the Agent shorts but wondering about that vent….

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

My New altura attacks lasted 3 months last winter before the bum wore though, altura did replace them though, will wait and see if the replacements do the same again.

To note my original pair pair lasted 5 years, so maybe the quality isn’t as good as it used to be.

iainc

Oh well, mixed views on the tenn ones, will see how they go and post up, cheers (anyone want some Madison’s ? 🙂 )

reggiegasket
    Free Member

my shorts have all lasted years and years – am I just lucky or do you wriggle about more or something….?

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

My first pair lasted a similar amount of time and I still use them now although they’re not that waterproof anymore. Bought another pair about a year ago and they still look new & because the shorts are so good I ended up buying the jacket too as my local bike shop had a sale on. I use them all year round on nearly every ride due to all the stream crossings on the Quantocks.

The sizing is different on the newer ones though. I’m a 32″ waist and my first pair were medium but had to buy small ones last time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘what waterproof shorts for this winter ?’ is closed to new replies.