Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • what was the first film to really scare you?
  • racefaceec90

for me it had to be watching this when i was 8-9 [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OibCh_MwLF4[/video] truly terrifying 😆

in all seriousness though it did give me the willies 😯

yunki
    Free Member

The Omen

FuzzyWuzzy

I watched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I was about 10 (gotta love grandparents…) but the first film to give me proper nightmares was The Creepshow, the bit with the thing in the crate (I was probably 11 or 12 and didn’t sleep properly for months after).

johnhe

Omen.

BadlyWiredDog

The Wizard of Oz when I was about five – the wicked witch of the west scared me witless…

wwaswas

The Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang scared me 🙁

I think the rest of the film is what scares me now 🙁

cheese@4p

101 Dalmations

kerv
    Free Member

Another one here for The Omen

peterfile
    Free Member

My brother and I found a video of Hellraiser at 6am one morning when our parents were still in bed. We were very young, he was 5 and I was 7.

I remember feeling absolutely awful after it, I still remember some of the scenes (particularly a man with lots of nails in his face!), which is impressive since I haven’t watched it since…however it started a long love affair with horror films for my brother!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAx34IZ8bTk[/video]

Markie
    Free Member

Poltergeist. I had been told we were going to watch Chariots of Fire…

hels
    Free Member

Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The early days of video, my dad foolishly let me rent it, watched it in broad daylight, from behind the couch.

Closely followed by Nightmare on Elm St. Saw that at the pictures and was so scared walking home from the train at night I had to walk up the middle of the road.

Pigface
    Free Member

+1 for Poltergeist

IHN

Jaws. I was probably about 4.

I refused to go to the loo after watching it and wouldn’t sleep on my own…

samuri
    Free Member

Jaws here too. I absolutely crapped myself.

northshoreniall

Cujo – hid behind sofa . Dad thought my reaction was hilarious, git 😀

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

The Omen, think I was around 8 when I saw it, not good.

My dad also sneaked me into the cinema to see Alien around the same time because he thought “it would be a bit like StarWars”, it wasn’t.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Another one for Hellraiser 😯 Watched with a friend at his house, which was very isolated on the west coast of Cumbria, and very dark. Bad idea.

uwe-r
    Free Member

+1 Jaws – great film.

Harry_the_Spider

The Wiazard If Oz when I was about 4 years old.

martinhutch

The Shining, I guess, particularly the bits with the kid on the trike in the corridor.

martinhutch

Double posty

ricdiggle
    Free Member

Salem’s Lot for me too. I still have nighmares about David Soul’s inability to close the bloody door on that yellow jeep.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Salem’s lot

organic355
    Free Member

I remember this movie giving me nightmares when I was younger as i lived in the countryside with lots of scarecrows:

You can imagine what happens after this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvZKYmEbdg4&feature=related[/video]

Stuey01
    Free Member

It.

Still haven’t seen it all the way through and it is one of the only Stephen King supernatural/horror books I haven’t read.

andrewrchambers
    Free Member

When I was quite young I could not watch this scene…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byqnAfs0cmg[/video]

I have no idea why looking back on it…

fuzzhead
    Free Member

TBH, the first film to properly scare me was the Blair Witch Project. It reminded me of going camping up in the wilds in the Forest of Dean as a kid and seeing freaky little houses…

Drac

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SESI19h4wDo[/video]

xherbivorex
    Free Member

can’t remember which one i saw first out of the omen, mad max or the exorcist but it was one of those three.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

American werewolf in London for me when I was about 10. Never got past the moors at the beginning. Put me right off it for years even though everyone used to say it was black comedy. When I finally plucked up the courage to watch it in my 20’s it wasn’t that bad after all. Also watched bram stokers Dracula with some mates in my teens while on magic mushrooms. That was, errr, interesting shall we say 😀 😳

patriotpro
    Free Member

Can’t remember in which order but ‘Evil Dead’ was probably the ‘first’.

Dreaded going to bed for weeks 😳

piemonster

Another Jaws victim here, very young maybe 4-5

Dread to think what ‘Dead Mans Shoes’ would have done

WillH

Return to Oz:

Torminalis
    Free Member

When I was about 8 I watched The Swarm at my grandparents house. That scared the bejeesus out of me for some time.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

One that my mates’ Mum + Dad had made…

No-one deserved to see that. 😯

SaxonRider

The Omen and another, made-for-tv movie with Parker Stevenson (of Hardy Boys fame) called ‘This House Possessed’.

B_Leach
    Free Member

Showing my youth here; the kitchen scene in Jurassic Park scared the bejeesus out of me!

To this day I still have to remind myself that Velociraptors are the size of a turkey…

deus

Gremlins, i were a wee lad at the time!
    i hid behind the couch.

elzorillo
    Free Member

As a kid hammer horrors scared the hell out of me.. Alien as an adult is a little ‘tense’ at times.

piemonster

elzorillo – Member
    As a kid hammer horrors scared the hell out of me.. Alien as an adult is a little ‘tense’ at times.

Bloody hell, how old are you?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘what was the first film to really scare you?’ is closed to new replies.