Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What upgrades can be done to a pike?
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

got some older VGC pike s- upgrades wise what would be the most cost effective?

They will be getting an oil change obviously – so could change to the Low friction seals from TFTuned, Debonair spring at £43, Charger 2 damper at silly cash.

They are to go an a 650b hardtail (On-One deedar) ridden in the Peaks – have i missed anything obvious?

northernmatt

Bigger fins, sharper teeth?

Sorry, thought this was FishingTrackWorld for a second

joebristol

Why do you need to upgrade them?

I picked up some 2017 Pikes secondhand for a 650 build I did a while ago (Vitus Sentier – so 140mm travel around the front).

They were 130mm travel and I wanted 140mm so I went for a 2019 debonair spring assembly and just did a lower leg service at the same time.

They do the job fine for me on that bike – whilst not being quite as good as the 170mm Lyriks with rct3 charger 2 on my other bike. Although it’s hard to objectively compare with the travel difference and type of bike it’s on.

In terms of your options it’s the 2019 airspring / slicker ultimate seals / fancier charger damper option from RS. Or you can look at other aftermarket tuning options – I think fast might do an upgraded charger option or avalanche might do something.

iamanobody
    Free Member

To change the travel to 160mm is the main driver. I’m sticking a shockwiz on it initially to see how it feels wen set up properly before i do anything.
    Seals and lower service as they are forks new to me but second hand so sensible imo

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got older Pikes…2013 or 14 I think and did the TF Tuned coil spring kit and it’s brilliant. Far better than they were before…lower maintenance (though wasn’t hot on maintenance before) and i prefer the fell of a spring shock vs air shock. Adds a bit of weight (about 300g) but easily worth the investment in weight.

Burchy1
    Free Member

I had the FAST HSC/LSC cartridge put into mine. It was a really good upgrade on the stock charger damper (2015). I was trying to fix a specific characteristic though (either supply initial stroke and then blow through or harsh initial stroke and lots of support later).

Was quite expensive though and the newer Charger damper is supposed to be much better than the original one.

iamanobody
    Free Member

the coil conversion looks good but pricey

craig5

Get a rct3 upgrade from sportspursuit 50% off. about  £140 now1

iamanobody
    Free Member

is that the damper upgrade? is it plug and play or would it need bleedinge etc?would i also need to fit the debonair spring? As i’m changing seals and oil too this is looking at an expensive job 🙁

£140 plus seals at £23 plus spring at £42 plus oils – £220ish

honourablegeorge

If you’re changing travel then debonair spring is a no brainer, it’s almost same price as the old spring but much better. Ditto the seals, if they need changing, get the new ones.

And then, if you need more, consider the expensive upgrades on the other leg.

tinglesrack
    Free Member

More importantly than all the above….
    Check the seal head at the base of the damper. The original ones (shallow and flat profile) were prone to leaking and rockshox brought out a newer version in 216 that is much less friction and much less prone to leaking. You can visually check which you have as the new ones have a green seal that is visible from the bottom of the damper tube. £18 for one is a worthwhile upgrade if you need it. Wiper seals – just go for the rockshox/skf ones that come in all the service kits. They’re amazing

tuboflard

Debonair upgrade is a no brainer, did it on mine at the same time as going to 160mm. Also put an MRP Ramp Control in it which is nice to have to tweak depending on what I’m riding. That and a good service and replace seals etc and I’m more than happy.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

the coil conversion looks good but pricey

Depends which coil conversion. The one I did was not much more than a service and by installing it you are effectively doing a service but making them service free for the future. No need to service the damper – ever…after about 4 years of year round riding and zero maintenance on my Pikes when I gook the damper apart it was clean as a whistle absolutely zero need to service it. I had to replace the seal head for the newer standard and replaced all the other seals as I was in there and had the kit, but the o-rings and seals that came out were perfectly fine and the damper was as good as it was the day it came off the production line. So put a coil spring in and there is no need to service the fork ever again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What upgrades can be done to a pike?’ is closed to new replies.