Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • What speakers have you got? (Part two)…
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Recently returned from the outer darkness banhammer where all is a wailing and a gnashing of teeth, with these.

ATC SCM19’s. Quadraspire stands. Still bedding in but already sounding beautiful. It’s nice to have HiFi back in the room with more suitably-sized boxes for the smaller space.

Anybody else similarly encumbered? (paging Turnerguy 😀 )

slowoldman

I have a pair of ATC SCM20s paired with a pair of Harbeth studio subwoofers (they are remarkably almost exactly the same footprint as the ATCs, so the subs sit on the ATC footplate and the ATCs on top of the subs). They work very well together powered by AVI 150W monoblocs.

I do still lust after a pair of ATC active 3 way speakers though. I’ve tried 50s here but they are just too damned big. maybe the 40s will make a nice retirement present.

donks
    Free Member

Woppit…
    Is that a dedicated music room you have there?? There’s no way the wife would ever let me put sound proofing on the walls in our front room.

Speaker wise only a small set of Dali zenzers which suffice but are no match for the old Kefs…. again the wife hated them for being big a boxy so demanded small bookshelf ones.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes. Although I’ve never availed myself of the pleasures having what I believe many refer to as “the wife”, I DO get the impression that ambitions towards a dedicated domestic HiFi space and the light of one’s life, do not mix well… 😉

donks
    Free Member

Holy crap… just googled those speakers ££££
    Reminds me when I did an electrical inspection at an NHS consultants cottage and he had a full Linn set up. Speakers were nearly 60k a pair and he had 2 sets!!

donks
    Free Member

Ah… It all adds up now.

zokes
    Free Member

Nice pair of Castle Edens here, helped along the way by a Naim Uniti 2. Speakers now nearing 20 years old, and apart from recently rattling their spiders loose which was a 20 quid fix, sounding better than ever in our new larger living room.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Heard a pair of Castle Clydes on demo at a HiFi show back in the day. Was impressed…

mashiehood
    Free Member

Meridian DSP5200 with Roon and MS200 – very simple setup which sounds incredible

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Come on people, don’t be shy. Let’s have some pics! 8)

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve never availed myself of the pleasures having what I believe many refer to as “the wife”

means

Holy crap… just googled those speakers ££££

is ok.

I still have the same Ruarks and a Wife(or two).

zokes
    Free Member

Heard a pair of Castle Clydes on demo at a HiFi show back in the day. Was impressed…

Yup, sounded good through the original Arcam Alpha9 I had driving them (which went pop). Sounded horrible through my old Alpha3, which simply didn’t have the clout. I was worried the Naim might be too good for them, but on the contrary, it was the amp they needed.

Before I found somewhere to fix them (too much Naim 😆 ), I was looking at replacements in the $2-3000 category and you needed to go to the top of that range to match them. Would be interested in hearing a pair of those ATCs sometime. But, suspect I’ll just end up sticking with the Castles or getting the local guy who fixed them to build me a custom set. His own are the only ones I’ve found to clearly better the Castles at a price point that’s not eye wateringly daft.

zokes
    Free Member

Come on people, don’t be shy. Let’s have some pics!

I would, but it’s dark and I’d have to tidy up…

simondbarnes

The same Mission 773e I had in part one.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Main system; Proac SM100s on dem at the moment, going to try Russell K Red150s, Audionote ANE’s and Heco Direckts.
    Second system; Spendor S8e’s, will be sold soon to be replaced with Yamaha 1000’s for the all Japanese set up

iffoverload
    Free Member

System looks nice, the room looks like an accoustic nightmare.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well it needed a comfy sofa, beanbag, window blind (there’s a deep embrasure behind it) rug and of course the audio baffling on the walls.

When I moved in it was an echo box!

Perfectly fine now. 8)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

well I have several sets of LS3/5a (think more than pictured) and I think I am settled on them. (I don’t run them stacked, that was just for the picture…).

My first job was at the BBC reseearch dept, next to some of the sound dept rooms, and I bought my first pair with my staff discount.

Always used Quad power amplifiers and not heard anything I like better, although swapped away from their mediocre pre-amps a while ago. Current amps are 909 monos.

Luckily don’t like the 15ohm version of the speaker which is the one that goes for a lot more money 2nd hand, and my best pair are 11ohm and with external crossovers from cicable which reduce the THD by a lot and bring them to grade 1 monitor standards everywhere but the bass.

The bases are Stirling Broadcast AB-2s which give them a nice bass extension and timbre, and also designed by the same guy whio did the crossovers, and used to run Spendor (Derek Hughes).

I use a Music First TVC pre-amp which is excellent, and in the picture is also a Tact 2.2XP pre-amp, although I have never used the room correction function.

Not in that house anymore, now in a detached place after the divorce.

Will be adding a streamer to it soon once I have figured out which one or maybe I will run a PC with JRiver. Need a better DAC anyway.

iffoverload
    Free Member

the thin foam panels will only absorb some reflected energy above 12khz so will help with the hard reflective nature of the space but it looks like it will have horrendous standing waves forming due to the room being cubic and hard brick/tile.

Have you tried playing back a sweep sine wave? you might notice some big holes and spikes at some frequencies.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Thanks. The panels don’t “absorb”.

They disrupt the reflection of bass frequencies.

Also, the room is not cubic. The roof slopes left to right and extends back.

Generally, I use my ears for testing audio improvements although I daresay the “test bench” approach works well if that’s your bag.

Got any speakers?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

They disrupt the reflection of bass frequencies.

I doubt that they do much. I would think they would be better extended forward to catch first reflections and then put some of those tube traps in – but I am not an expert.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

This is apparently a good, cheap setup for measuring a room :

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-omnimic-v2-computer-based-precision-room-measurement-system–390-792?utm_source=Retail&utm_medium=Email_Newsletter&utm_content=390-792&utm_campaign=email110515A

And if you want a better mic with calibration look at the EMM-6 :

http://cross-spectrum.com/

I have the kit and ordered the mic but haven’t got around to trying it – been too busy dating after my divorce and learning to ride my self-balancing unicycle 🙂

iffoverload
    Free Member

your ears and a sine wave wav that you can download is all you need,

music is my bag, I have had some experience with creating workable listening and recording spaces.

Spending a bit of time and relatively small amount of money on the listening space will be the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do,

consider that a very large % of what reaches your ears is reflected sound.

Seeing as you appear to have the luxury of a dedicated music roomseems a shame not to take advantage as you will not have to compromise a living space to get a great listening space.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Like I said…

Anyway, what speakers have you got? 🙄

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Spending a bit of time and relatively small amount of money on the listening space will be the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do,

I like my LS3/5as as they are near field monitoring speakers and as such are a little less susceptible to room effects, within reason and those bass extenders moot that point a bit.

But at one point we had a sofa and two matching chairs with big cushions and I had the chairs either side of the speakers, so killing first reflections, and boy did it sound good.

This could possibly be a sneaky way of getting some WAF into your acoustic treatment.

We have a couple of high back and side sofas at work facing each other with just a small gap in between, and it is eerily quite when you sit in there.

iffoverload
    Free Member

ATC, PMC and Tannoy , nothing to do with music… 🙄

RustySpanner

Those stacked LS3/5a’s…..
    🙂

Somewhere, a BBC sound engineer is revolving in his grave, making a noise like a rumbling Garrard…..
    😀

Tannoy DC6T upstairs in the main boys toys room, pair of MA RS2’s downstairs.

Happy with them.

Hohum
    Free Member

I still have my Kudos C20 speakers.

A big change on the amplifier side though as I inherited my uncle’s Unison Research S6.

It’s my first valve amp and it sounds wonderful when combined with the C20 speakers.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I use my ears for testing audio improvements although I daresay the “test bench” approach works well if that’s your bag.

To be honest mate, that just makes you seem a bit ignorant. Some folk are knowledgeable and experienced enough to be able to use their eyes too. The potential reflections in that room are entirely visible, even without seeing what’s happening behind the camera, and they make my ears wince. Is that a metal cabinet would be over your left ear? Listen to iffoverload, much sense being spoken:

Spending a bit of time and relatively small amount of money on the listening space will be the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do

Calm that room down a bit and you’ll start to hear your equipment more than the room. That’s why you spent so much on gear, right?

EDIT oops sorry, I have B&O Beovox MC 120/2 speakers in the living room. HTH

TheFlyingOx

Got a pair of Kef Q5 and a pair of Castle Durham. Neither particularly spendy but they sound good enough to my ears. Both currently relegated to storage in the loft while we figure out what’s happening with the house renovation 😥
    Making do with various Yamaha MusicCast/Harmon Kardon surrounds at the mo. They’re ok, but it’s not the same as having a proper beard-stroking separates rack.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

you’ll start to hear your equipment more than the room. That’s why you spent so much on gear, right?

No.

Last word on it.

the-muffin-man

LOL! – not in anywhere near the same league but I’ve just ordered a pair of these Wharfedales at a bargain £119!…

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/standmount-speakers/wharfedale-diamond-220-blk.html

…you’d probably break out in a fit of the shakes and a cold sweat at the thought of them Mr Woppit!

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Mr Woppit, that looks like a very live room but if you like the music the system produces that’s all that matters 🙂
    I wouldn’t be running power cables next to speaker cables though 🙁

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Last word on it.

Echo?

plyphon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be running power cables next to speaker cables though

Ah, there we go – the pseudo science ‘audiophile’ nonesense I was hoping for, finally.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

not really plyphon, over the years I’ve done double blind tests with various friends and with some cables there is a difference whether it’s +ve or -ve depended on the person listening.

Anyway back to the thread, what speakers have you got?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Mission 771s just came out of retirement and sound lovely plugged into my NAD amp and Rega record player.

No need for egg boxes in my house, our ears are nearly a hundred years old, altogether.

Although I’ve never availed myself of the pleasures having what I believe many refer to as “the wife”

Ya don’t say. 😆

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Spendor A6r with a REL Strata 111 to very gently fill in the very lowest frequencies

penguinni

Original Acoustic Energy 109s paired with Rega P1 and Marantz CD5005 and PM6006.

Diana Krall is sounding luscious just now…..

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

These:

[Before wool stuffing)

And this

Through this

As detailed here

Now really run in and equalised, though I am just about to order a calibrated mic to make it all ruler flat.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘What speakers have you got? (Part two)…’ is closed to new replies.