Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What SPD shoes with soles you can walk on rock in?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’m after a pair of shoes I can walk on rocky stuff in, all my shoes have plastic sholes – so nothing in the way of a rubber compound.

Most of the online descriptions for SPD shoes omit any detail of what the grip is like…

any one have any suggestions?

Cheers chaps

Ricks

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Shimano MT60’s have a grippy sole and are 25% off in Lex’s Cycles, as with all Shimano shoes they are about 1 size smaller than advertised.

stumpy01

First time I went to Spain, I struggled on hike-a-bikes with my ‘proper’ Pearl Izumi shoes.
    For the next year I bought some more ‘trail’ type shoes – Shimano MT31’s I think.
    They were much better at gripping to the rocky surface, where the hard sole of the Pearl Izumi’s tended to slide.
    The hard sole also tended to get broken up a lot more, as it didn’t comply to the surface.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

shimano mt90s et al with vibram soles.
    i suspect the fiveten range are good too.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Shimano M086 have rubber sole but in a normal XC shoes cut. Great shoe actually.

I think it’s now the M087 which I’d assume would carry the rubber sole over.

BikePawl
    Free Member

Just got a pair of 5ten Hellcats reckon I could climb E1 in them so walking on rock should be easy. Pretty expensive and heavy though.

rickon
    Free Member

E1 on slate?

I’ve done V8 in Five Ten Camp Fours. Good times.

M086 / 7 looks to be a very good option. Cheers chaps – I’ll pop to the LBS to see if I can get my size.

smiffy

Lake do some Vibram soles, I have summer andwinter ones that work on rock.

uplink
    Free Member

I have a couple of pairs of Cannondale shoes that are great for ‘hike a bike’ duties

Can’t remember the model but they’re similar to these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7718

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I have a pair of Lake boots with real Vibram soles: the Time cleats are a snug fit in the cutout so I’d be happy walking on rock. And possibly being pulled up a mild VS on a good day.

They are a bit old, I’ve no idea if new ones offer this.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I use Shimano MT41. Riding full time in Spain with these and they’ve lasted 2 years (still going).

Pretty often my exploratory rides end up with a hike up a rocky trails and they are great for that.

huw
    Free Member

Can’t go far wrong with Shimano’s MT** range for a good balance between walking grip and sole stiffness for riding. I’ve been using them for years (although my current ones have just gone to the bin but will be replaced).

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers Huw,

I’ll pop out to have a look, at them too 🙂

ton

specialized tacoma are pretty good too.

bri-72

Look at north wave stuff too. Forget what model mine are but 2 years on still going strong. Vibram soles good grip on them for walking.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

If your plastic soled shoes take football studs at the front you can get rubber studs to replace the hard plastic or metal tipped ones. They come in different lengths from approx 8mm – 12mm. Not as great as a grippy sole for long walking sections but they help when you have a dab.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What SPD shoes with soles you can walk on rock in?’ is closed to new replies.