Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What soft shell jacket?
  • tinybits
    Free Member

So, my altura attack is starting to die, so looking at something a little different. Everyone else i see is wearing a soft shell, i just wondered how waterproof they actually are, and how warm once they are soaked?
    If I get one, gore get good reviews so is the phantom a good choice?

stufive
    Free Member

Gore Phantom here

footflaps

They generally start off reasonably waterproof as most of the come treated with some form of DWP (durable water repellant) which then weakens as they get washed / worn. I like softshells but always pack a thin waterproof as once they’re wet through you’ll freeze.

Personally I don’t think you can go wrong with anything from Gore / Endura.

bails

I’ve certainly got my money’s worth from my Gore Phantom. Very adaptable, if I lost it I’d buy another straight away.

Kryton57

I started a thread about this the other day – as my 6/7yo Phantom is starting to literally give up at the seams.

The outcome of which was that the Phantom is the overall winner, with the Endura Convert a close second.

Northwind

One thing I would say is that they’re hot… Very rare that it’s cold enough that I can ride in mine, even the very thin lightweight one (cheapo Decathlon) is a lot hotter than my Attack jacket, which isn’t exactly cool to ride in either. If it’s sub zero or there’s a good strong wind I can get away with it, otherwise my skin melts.

jonba
    Free Member

They are fine if you don’t think it’ll be wet but get caught out. I wouldn’t head out in one in the rain though.

Great for cold windy days.

I have various dhb ones from wiggle and they are good.

663sqd
    Free Member

Go DHB

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What soft shell jacket?’ is closed to new replies.