Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • What small fun car on the cheap?
  • timber

MX-5

It’s what I’m on the search for at the moment to replace the GF’s 1.0 Corsa that I now have to drive as I have the shorter commute. The heater fan is more powerful than the engine.

juiced
    Free Member

saxo vtr / vts

Pieface

Fiat Coupe?

Prolly big enough to be practical too

martinxyz
    Free Member

106 series 1 rallye with a 106 gti 16v engine conversion. you will find a few of them with the conversion along with series 2s (97ish onwards) if you decide to look at a 106 check out all the hidden corners for rust. get your head under it and have a good feel around at the sills. see if you can crumble anything off by hand! also check the real beam for any play if you can. jack the back end up,handbrake off and hold each wheel at diffrent points to see if you can feel any knocking. If its really bad it will be noticeable without jacking it up.

Ive been looking at a 16v series 2s for the past few weeks but nothings come up.If you want cheap and you want fun.. you probably wont get as much fun as a lightweight s1 16v compared to the likes of a polo or lupo gti.overbuilt and weigh too much to be fun ;O)

ive just been sorting my 106 gti out for its MOT this week. its been hammered with salt over the past 5 years so it might be getting stripped for the qep flywheel,bilsteins,eibachs etc to go onto my next one.I will definately be considering another one and swapping parts over if and when needed.

I would love the vw/jap quality having seen how my seat has lasted over the years compared to the pug but i would be buying it for the drive. Not how well it lasts.

I also buy a car for the drive.. not the crash.todays safety enhanced hot..sorry,warm hatches are usually weighty,boast big power on paper but due to the power to weight ratio.. they still cant match cars of yester decade. Pity.

not sure if many can see car buying from that view,though.

martinxyz
    Free Member

farmer g wrote:go on, get some poncey 2×4 and keep away from my galvanised bumper!

He wont be anywhere near yer bumper as yours will be stuck in the drive with a frozen diesel filter going by next weeks icy weather forecast! ;OP

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

MX5s aren’t leaky. Even if you get one with a knackered roof, a new roof is a DIY job and is sub £200.

If it were my money and had £1500ish burning a hole in my pocket, I’d be heading for a 106 Ralleye/GTI if I could find a decent one or ideally, an MX5/Eunos. If you can find a Eunos thats not been in the country for too long then it won’t have any rust problems plus I think all the Eunos (S-Special and V-Special do I think) come with LSDs which transform the drive. Look for a 1993 or older 1.6. Slightly down on power compared to the 94+ 1.8 cars but meant to be a better engine (internet rumours but I’ve owned 3 of the older, more powerful 1.6 cars and they’re excellent).

Should be able to pick up a decent one too… Our last one cost £1750 privately but was an S-Special, BBS RS wheels, hardtop, OEM splitter and a few other goodies. Absolutely devastated to have had to sell that car…

Next one will be another import but if its not got one already, a supercharger will be getting bolted onto it, cage etc to make it a right little weapon! Might start the hunt after xmas!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Hmm, there seems to be a compelling argument for the MX5. Just worried about leaving a car like that on the road whereas an old 106 – I wouldn’t care if it got trashed.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

martinxyz – the land rover would have 2 1/4 petrol engine – haha!
    plus i would be towing a fuel bowser behind it 😥

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just worried about leaving a car like that on the road whereas an old 106 – I wouldn’t care if it got trashed.

You mean vandalised? Fair comment, I’ve had 2 holes put in my soft top in 4 years, but as above, it’s half a day and £100-200 for a new one, and I am told splits can be repaired also.

Very small boot in a mk1 mind.

I take it a LSD only matters when you are completely hooning it?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yeh, it wouldn’t be a deal breaker. And if you wanted some track action for it then new diffs can be picked up pretty cheaply.

lister

CAn I throw a suggestion/spanner in the works?
    Our second car was a Seicento Sporting which I used to thrash to work and back…absolutely loved it.

However, when kids came along we realised that having a second car that you couldn’t put kids in was a real waste of time, it’s so handy to be able to use that car for transporting the kids in emergencies or when the family car is in the garage or when your 2 get to school age and you’re forever shuttling then between school/grandparents/nursery etc etc.

I’d love an MX5 but it would be too restricting, so I got a MG ZS (stop laughing at the back!), fun to drive and kids can go in if need be (or bike, which hasn’t been mentioned yet!)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lister – our non-family car at the moment is a TT and we get by so I am not too worried about that 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘What small fun car on the cheap?’ is closed to new replies.