Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • What small fun car on the cheap?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Looking at options for when the lease expires on my current car – we need a sensible family car now so I will get that on the lease, but I will need a runaround to get to work and back.

I simply want an old but fun car that will be used for short trips to work and back and won’t need to take kiddies seats or anything.

Currently thinking a Fiat Siecento Sporting might be fun. Any other recommendations?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Suzuki Swift Sport.

Stoner
    Free Member

Triumph spitfire

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Suzuki Swift Sport.

Waaay too expensive – looking at around £1k

Nice car though – saw a subtly customised one in Asda (where else) the other day and it looked really nice.

woody2000

I had a Seicento Sporting many moons ago. They’re ok, but gutless really and the build quality was poop. Panda 100HP? 206 GTI?

stumpy01

-SportKa
    -Fiesta Zetec-S (Mk 4.5 – ‘old shape’ mainly seen in blue with multi-spoke wheels)
    – Clio Williams (not sure how cheap they are)
    – Puma

EDIT – might be too expensive. Just seen your budget update.

firestarter
    Free Member

I used to run an old fiesta xr2 as a runabout it was a right laugh

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What was that little Fiat that had the exhaust coming down the middle of the rear bumper?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I saw no mention of budget…!

Older Fiesta Zetec
    Mk2 Golf Gti
    106 Rallye

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’d go french.

205 gti http://www.justgtis.com/
    106 rallye

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The emphasis is on cheap as chips – it is literally to be driven the two miles to work* and back and to be dumped on the road on a night.

*I do ride/run/walk to work but sometimes this isn’t feasible which is why I need the car.

thomthumb
    Free Member

old (square) mr2

momo

Saxo VTS, same car as the 106 GTI, but usually cheaper to buy, many of the early ones came with the wrong engine, so had 130hp instead of 120hp.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

+1 Panda 100hp. Test drove one and loved it, ugly though. Going to get one next year.

stumpy01

Saxo VTR
    Mazda MX-3

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Sorry just saw budget update

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

old (square) mr2

That’s the one, the AW11. Makes you look an onanist, but fantastic fun. And within budget, dunnow hat kind of nick they’ll be in though. Last year of manufacture was F reg, maybe the MKII MR2? Where they as good?

donsimon
    Free Member

I hired one of these a couple of years ago, and it was great fun.

So I imagine one of these must even more fun.

Failing that, a Spitfire 1500.

yunki
    Free Member

grab yourself a fifteen year old Merc with a high milage and be pimpin’ yo’ bad self to and fro’ work…

I just picked up a c220 sport with 193k on the clock for £300.. should be good for another 50k hassle free miles..

s
    Free Member

MX5, you should be able to pick up a Jap import for that sort of money this time of year 😉

Might even make on it, if you sell it in the summer?

sssimon
    Free Member

106 gti for the win, mine was £1600 a year ago, with a few sensible mods (group n exhaust and an induction kit) seen good ones for £1200 and rough ones for a grand

rallye would be nice but not really many at that money that aren’t sheds

Ashley
    Free Member
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Err, how about an MGF????

(I do have my ‘hairdresser’ image to live up to)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Gotta say the 106GTi looks a good suggestion…

cp

2nd pug 106/205, saxo, fiesta.

s
    Free Member

If you are worried about your image, then buy anything dirt cheap & tint the windows 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

106 gti for £1K?
    It’ll be dead, if it exists

farmer-giles
    Free Member

series 2a landrover softtop; pre 1972 so zero roadtax and you can sell it for the same price in 5 years time

carbon337
    Free Member

saxo vts – loved mine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A shed of an MG midget with 6 months MOT?

It’ll be fun, leaky and unreliable, but will stil be worth £500 to someone in 6 months time.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

series 2a landrover softtop; pre 1972 so zero roadtax and you can sell it for the same price in 5 years time

Doesn’t really fit the ‘small’ or ‘fun’ requirements though.

I am thinking pocket rocket, not industrial machinery.

(Ohh, and I have (part) owned a Landy myself – an ex-army LWB self converted diesel (converted to Rover V8).

Never again.

woody2000
    CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The Alfa is no good, he lives 2 miles from work. How would he get it home?

woody2000

😀

Apparently it’s all part of the fun of owning one!

-m-
    Free Member

Puma (an unmolested one). Loads about – they all have plenty of miles on them but they’re cheap to run/maintain/service. We had a 1.7 that ran to 80K without missing a beat. Check the rear arches and the base of the B pillar (on the door shut line) for rust when buying.

Equivalent Fiesta would be an alternative, but a bit more boring…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

or maybe a Kuga

*snigger*

ericemel
    Free Member

MX5 every time

I challenge anyone to find more reliable fun under £2k

Woody
    Free Member

Not a Kuga but you could get a decent Cougar for < than a grand. Not very small but a lot of car for the money and a very nice ‘sports tourer’ if you have to go more than 2 miles occasionally.

Nice one On Ebay full leather, reasonable mileage – plenty more around that level.

ps. I’ve had one since April (2.0ltr – quick enough and 36mpg ave) and am very happy with it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Any long journeys/client meetings will be in the family car so really don’t want anything big.

Anyone know what the little fiat with the central exhaust is ????

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

MX5 – awesome. Owned three of them and will own another.
    106 Ralleye (you might be lucky and find one for a grand). If not then a GTI would be a very good alternative.
    Polo GT (mk3, might even find a G40 for a bit over £1000).
    Saxo VTS/VTR if you can find one thats not been chavved up.

I’d stay away from Scicentos. The ‘Sporting’ isn’t actually very sporting! Plus they’re tiny. Plus a bean tin would feel less tin-ey.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘What small fun car on the cheap?’ is closed to new replies.