Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What size fence post do I need?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

3ft high wooden panel with a 6in concrete gravel board, concrete posts….

…. but how long do the posts need to be?

Obviously enough to concrete in securely, but not so long as to have to dig a mahoosive hole!

The choices are 4’6″ or 5’9″

4’6″ right????

😕

Liftman

5’9″

geoffj

5’9″ +1

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dewydd
    Free Member

5’9″ + 2. Need about 2′ in the ground

seadog101

High enough to hide the neighbours, and enough room to cut battlements into them.

therag
    Free Member

If you concrete in 6″ soil pipe to the ground then slot in 4×4 posts & fill with expanding foam, rather than concreting the posts it will be a pleasure to replace rotten posts in years to come.
    2ft underground will allow for 6ft fencing.

sing1etrack

You don’t need 2′ of post in the ground for a fence less than 4′ tall unless it’s particularly exposed to the wind or the ground you’re going into’s very loose. If you’re intending the posts to finish at the same height as the panels then 4’6″ will do you with a decent concrete surround. Run the gravel boards into the ground a touch if you want to go slightly deeper. Postcrete is your friend for concreting btw.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

it will be a pleasure to replace rotten posts in years to come

Really nice tip, just two questions:

How do you get the old posts out of the expanding foam? It grips like crazy, doesn’t it?

Secondly, did you read the bit about “concrete posts”? Don’t think rot is going to be an issue…..

mrdestructo

We’ve long ago moved from standard posts onto a glass fibre post with slots running the length. You can just slot in and out the panels when necessary. Dig a gravel trap under the fence panels for drainage so they last longer.

therag
    Free Member

Secondly, did you read the bit about “concrete posts”? Don’t think rot is going to be an issue…..
    POSTED 13 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

You can cut the foam easily with a keyhole saw, but Sorry I didn’t read the concrete post bit, so forget the soil pipe.

BigJohn

Concrete posts are an abomination. And they often rust & fail through frost damage sooner than a lovely tanalised oak post would.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You don’t need 2′ of post in the ground for a fence less than 4′ tall unless it’s particularly exposed to the wind or the ground you’re going into’s very loose. If you’re intending the posts to finish at the same height as the panels then 4’6″ will do you with a decent concrete surround. Run the gravel boards into the ground a touch if you want to go slightly deeper. Postcrete is your friend for concreting btw.

According to the fencing company, yes, 4’6″ is all I need. Ive had a reply from them since I posted the thread.

Postcrete? Overpriced bagged up stuff? You don’t know what I do for a job do you? 😉

http://www.heidelbergcement.com/uk/en/hanson/home.htm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What size fence post do I need?’ is closed to new replies.