Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What side is my petrol cap?
  • stevied
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vupgBykQnko[/video]

woody2000

If only she’d looked at the arrow 🙂

somafunk

At least she can reverse, certainly gets enough practice

ads678

What a stupid……

GrahamS

Kind of worrying that someone with that little spatial awareness is driving.

Worrying. But not surprising.

Milkie
    Free Member

I bet I’n not the only one… Do they all have arrows?? This is awesome if they do!

bails

If that beetle hadn’t turned up she’d have been there all day.

RustyNissanPrairie

the side of the fuel pump icon in your car that has the hose is usually the side of the car that the fuel filler is on

GrahamS

Mine (Ford Focus) has a little arrow like the picture above. I think all Fords do.

zilog6128

That is brilliant! Like a dog chasing his own tail & getting confused when it keeps moving!!

Keva
    Free Member

it’s gotta be a joke right, for the CCTV? anyway why does it matter what side, just pull the pump hose across they’re plenty long enough to go round the back of the car.

GrahamS

they’re plenty long enough to go round the back of the car.

Not always. And it can also mean wrestling with a manky pump hose trying to prevent it from scratching your paintwork.

Cougar

My euphemismometer just exploded.

nigew
    Free Member

Ha ha ha ha just showed that to my wife, in a very mocking way, she went red and then said ” I did that yesterday” oops!

breadcrumb

the side of the fuel pump icon in your car that has the hose is sometimes the side of the car that the fuel filler is on

FTFY

Cougar

the side of the fuel pump icon in your car that has the hose is usually the side of the car that the fuel filler is on

I wonder if the hose is always on the right, and the filler cap is usually on the right in RHD cars?

Checked my Hyundai on the way home. It has the little arrow on the left (which is correct for my car), but the hose is on the right.

Stoner
    Free Member

Hose is no indication.

Only arrow if it has one.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah the hose thing is rubbish. 50% chance it’ll be right. No more than that! Increasingly they have arrows now though.

shermer75
    Free Member

Outside. Always on the outside

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wonder if the hose is always on the right, and the filler cap is usually on the right in RHD cars?

Im hypothesising no. We’ve got 2 fords, filler is on opposite sides.

I suspect its fairly random, so that cars are split 50/50 into the lanes at petrol stations.

Otherwise we’d see single lane pumps abroad if they were all the same?

Moses

The petrol cap is on the opposite side of the diesel cap. The French have it right, ” essence en gauche, diesel en droit”

Cougar

Im hypothesising no. We’ve got 2 fords, filler is on opposite sides.

Let me guess; left is a Fiesta / Ka, right is a Focus / Mondeo?

The petrol cap is on the opposite side of the diesel cap.

That’s not true either I don’t think (why would it be? Makes no sense). But y’know, those wacky French have some unconventional ideas.

I expect it’s manufacturer-specific. Most will default to the left as that’s the majority market; some manufacturers will bother to change it for the RHD market, and in the case of Ford they’ll only do it on the bigger (ie, more ‘premium’ vehicles. I’m purely guessing, but I bet given my i40 is on the left, all Hyundai fillers are on the left globally.

That’s my theory, and it’s held true for pretty much everything I’ve driven. But the only thing I can say with any certainty is, it’s wherever they choose to put it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

My last 3 cars…

Ford, petrol, filler on left.
    Vauxhall, petrol, filler on right.
    Toyota, diesel, filler on left.

So there’s no real pattern to it.

I go whichever side is free and stop so the back of the car is about a foot past the nozzle I require, so even if its the ‘wrong’ side it reaches without touching my paint.

The only time I’ve ever had a problem with doing this was when some bloke in a camper van pulled right up to my bumper so he could (attempt to) start filling up with diesel – while I was still filling up with petrol 🙂 He got a right monk on when I said I didn’t think it would work until I’d finished. ‘Well you’re not using this one are you?’ I didn’t bother pointing out that I was still using the display and probably/perhaps the same innards of the machine, just left him to it.

MrOvershoot

I seem to remember it was originally a left over from the days of road side fuel pumps.
    If your country drove on the left then having the fuel filler on the left meant you were kerb side not out in the road, Drive on the right and your filler was kerb side on the right.

Until fairly recently that seemed to be the case with Euro cars being on the right and UK & Jap cars on the left, but now with factories being scattered far from the mother country of the manufacturer I guess its a bit mixed up.

Having had filler caps on the left for the last 19 years on my cars has made the switch to a RH filler in the last 3 months a memory exercise when I go to fill up, still over 700 miles between fill ups hasn’t made this to much of an issue so far.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Baffles me how many won’t just pull the hose to the other side. Most places have long hoses these days. I’ve sat there with the entrance blocked by a big queue for one particular side matching their caps while no one is on the other side and yet big sign on the pumps saying long hoses, fill up either side.

Bit like two into one lanes on roads and sign says “use both lanes”. Nope, everyone queues on the left and gets irate at the few who use the other lane and refuse to let them in. Result is traffic grinds to a halt. Americans do it right. They stick a sign up that says “like a zipper”.

Cougar

Ford, petrol, filler on left.
    Vauxhall, petrol, filler on right.
    Toyota, diesel, filler on left.

I’d wager the Ford was a smaller Ford. Amirite?

Vauxhall, I’ve never seen a LH filler in this country (smallest I’ve driven though is an Astra).

Toyota, Far East company, LH filler.

My pattern still holds.

Cougar

Bit like two into one lanes on roads and sign says “use both lanes”.

Gods, don’t start that one again, we’ll have a page count into three figures.

breadcrumb

The petrol cap is on the opposite side of the diesel cap. The French have it right, ” essence en gauche, diesel en droit”

I can’t see that being right. Producing different shells depending on fuel type doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

Moses

Sorry, I meant it as a joke. It seems that it wasn’t obviously stupid enough. I blame our poor opinion of the French 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

Mrs_d’s Citroen C2 has it on the left; her previous car, also a Citroen, C4 that time, it was on the right. Every car I’ve ever had has had it in the right, but they’ve all been European. Not sure if a Ford Kuga classes as European but it’s on the right on this one too; I don’t think there’s an arrow on the fuel gauge

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What side is my petrol cap?’ is closed to new replies.