Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Telly: BBC Welsh drama 'Hinterland'
  • cinnamon_girl

Latest series hasn’t been shown on BBC but is available on i-Player.

Atmospheric scenery in rural and industrial Wales and a pleasure to hear Welsh being spoken. Don’t worry, sub titles are available.

Fill yer boots, there’s five episodes to watch:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/b03sgfbz

iolo
    Free Member

it is (or at least was) recorded in english too. They made two versions of each episode. It’s a great series.

cinnamon_girl

iolo – I think it’s actually made by S4C hence the use of the Welsh language and it used to be shown on BBC4. Definitely a great series!

chorlton
    Free Member

I really liked the first series so disappointed it’s not on BBC 4 again. I used to like watching it in bed. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Bit grim, though.

jate
    Free Member

Well done there CG. Hadn’t realised it was on i-Player.
    Entire family loved the first series particularly as we know that area really well so had much fun spotting all the locations.

iolo
    Free Member

they definitely recorded two versions of each episode originally. One was in welsh – Y Gwyll, and the other was in english – Hinterland, The same story, just in a different language. I have no idea if they still do as I’m not in Wales at the moment.

rusty90
    Free Member

Series 2 is currently on BBC One Wales on Wednesday nights in two parts, 21.00 then 22.40, mixed Welsh and English dialog.

mefty
    Free Member

This is where I despair of the BBC. This is frankly the best crime drama they have made in years and they don’t show it widely.

EDIT: Presumably because it wasn’t commissioned by one of the Tristrams in London and hasn’t got their favourite luvvies in.

EDIT2: Bet it cost peanuts to make as well.

ctk
    Free Member

PontypandyNoir at its best

batfink
    Free Member

I thought it was awful….. a painting-by-numbers version of wallander but with all the suspense and intrigue removed. There’s more to scandi-noir than moody-shots of bleak landscapes and tormented lead characters.

Don’t even get me started on the latest series of silent witness

gordimhor

Thoroughly enjoyed the first series Thanks CG

rudebwoy
    Free Member

agree with batfink—a childish version of scandi noir….

franki
    Free Member

I loved the first series, especially the one set at the hotel at Devil’s Bridge.
    It’s weird to see places you know well in a TV drama.

ctk
    Free Member

I find I hard to take any of it seriously. Too dark! Montalbano now you’re talking.

stever
    Free Member

It might be ScandiLight but still one of the best uk crime things on telly. Deserves a proper showing

DrJ

I like it – I think it’s the best of the Scandi copies.

woody21
    Free Member

I thought it was going to appear on BBC4

https://www.s4c.co.uk/ygwyll/e_index.shtml

CountZero

Personally I’m rather fond of Shetland, but I’ll check out Hinterland on iPlayer.
    I’m a sucker for police procedural and noir telly.

roach

Hinterland, moody stare after moody stare, couldn’t take it seriously after my missus pointed it out, we were both laughing at it! Watched Shetland for the first time the other night, uch preferred that.

nickc

There’s more to scandi-noir than moody-shots of bleak landscapes and tormented lead characters.

No there isn’t. The “trouble” with whondunnits/whydunnits as an oeuvre is as some point you have to reveal who/why it was. Now you can drag that out for how ever many episodes you want, and make the plot as convoluted as you want, but the good guys always solve the case, and the last episode is always a “car chase/race against the clock”. Scandi IS solely the addition of dark landscapes and moody characters to that storyline, the hook being, of course, is that the normal view of Scandinavia is being that of a land of milk and honey.

colournoise

Really quite liked Hinterland (caveat is that I’ve not watched any of the ‘proper’ scandi noir stuff). Hoping s2 does come to BBC4 as the iPlayer doesn’t like our sloth like broadband connection.

Shetland is pretty decent too, but strikes me more as a UK Fargo than scandi (the scene with the roadkill artist could have been straight out of Minnesota).

gozarch
    Free Member

Y Gwyll was on at the end of last year, and Hinterland has just finished on BBC Wales. All episodes still on iPlayer at the moment. Pretty sure it will be on UK-wide BBC soon. It’s a bit pants you can’t watch BBC Wales live online, even if you’re in Wales, so we kept having to wait until after it had aired to catch up with it.

I think some episodes are better than others, in both series, but it’s great to have something set where you live. If nothing else you can spend the time spotting people and places!

timber

S4C in October, BBC1 Wales after Christmas. Possibly turn up on BBC4 at Easter?

It’s good, once you get past the frustration that they are always driving the wrong way to places you know.

Anyway, just started filming Series 3 I think for the same schedule of showing, BBC Wales January 2017.

nostoc
    Free Member

and they keep saying “the marshes” when referring to an ombrotrophic mire

Ambrose

Cors Fochno, mmmm, my favorite place. Or perhaps not, although it has it’s own particular charm I suppose.

Boy 2 is currently studying in Aber and is thoroughly fed up with my references to the program. ‘When i lived here it was like this… ‘

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Telly: BBC Welsh drama 'Hinterland'’ is closed to new replies.