Home Forums Bike Forum What should I replace my mk.1 Cotic Solaris with?

• This topic has 41 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by FOG.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What should I replace my mk.1 Cotic Solaris with?
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’ve owned original Solaris from new and it’s now 10 years old.

It’s done everything, from down Sticks Pass, the Torridon horseshoe (when I was in between FS bikes), commuted on the road into work, covered off road miles from the front door (predominately in winter) and now, most of the time, it’s used for pottering with the kids or plonked on the turbo.

I’d like to replace it with a modern hardtail, i.e. boost spacing, a little more reach, slacker headtube, steeper seattube; without compromising on the attributes I love the most about the Solaris. A light, zippy, compliant XC/trail bike.

I’ve owned the latest SolarisMax (’18 model as it was revised slightly again in ’20?) and although more capable, it’s not the modern equivalent. I’ve demo’ed the Pace RC529 too. Again, not the bike for me.

Ideally the hardtail would be 120mm forked. Decent geo. Not overly bothered whether it was aluminium, steel or carbon. Not bothered whether it’s an off the shelf full bike or bike build from frame only.

So, what should I be looking at?

andrewh
    Free Member

You shouldn’t, they’re brilliant (speaking as a fellow Mk1 owner) Only had mine three years but it is the best all rounder I’ve ever had, tarmac commute there, EWS stage on the way home, all day rides on the moors, raced a beginners enduro on it, been the spare bike at 24hr Races, and overall a lot of fun.
    Keep it

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Ha! Thanks @andrewh. I intend to. I couldn’t part with it now. But I would like something more modern for those rides from the door.

nickc

Budget?

Earl_Grey

I came here hoping you might be selling a mk1 in small. My daughter has comandeered mine a couple of years ago and I replaced it with a newer Soul in the hope it might be similar enough, but it’s not and I miss it 😢.

andrewh
    Free Member

I do have a small 26″ Soul frame for sale @Earl_Grey if that’s any good? Some parts too

NormalMan

Yeti ARC (from a former mk1 owner)

hardtailonly

I guess the longer/slacker/steeper requirement, plus 10 years newer, will offset the springy/light steel feel to some extent, which is why the more recent Solaris doesn’t do it for you?

But this?

Fairlight Holt?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeRVuqOMPZi/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Clink

Specialized Chisel is a modern xc bike. Rides great.

Stanton Sherpa?

heinz

Pipedream Sirius? I went through a similar process when I wanted a trail HT to complement my FS trail/enduro bike.
    I was looking at a Stanton Sherpa (conservative geometry imo), Cotic Solarismax (too heavy/enduroish) and the Pipedream which I found to be pretty much what I wanted i.e. race xc on a Saturday, ride win hill on Sunday, ride to work on Monday

filks

I was going to say sounds like a Pipedream Sirius fits the bill too.

chakaping

How about the Mk3 Solaris, when they went boost but before they went slack & long?

And consider sizing up to get more reach, I used to ride a large mk2 (at 5ft 8in).

P20

Stanton Sherpa. Or I’m changing to a Sonder Signal ti

fettlin

Came here just to post Stanton Sherpa Gen3 853. Beat me to it.

funkmasterp

Another here who thought Stanton Sherpa.

Earl_Grey

I do have a small 26″ Soul frame for sale @Earl_Grey if that’s any good? Some parts too

Thanks @andrewh, but it’s got too be an older solaris, best bike ever (and I do love my Soul, but…).

ampthill

Sonder Broken road?

Or

Fairlight Holt?

andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks @andrewh, but it’s got too be an older solaris, best bike ever

I know what you mean. When I win the lottery I’m having a copy of mine made in titanium, same but lighter😁

reeksy

I find the SolarisMax works for me for everything, i ran it as an ‘Enduro’ style bike, then put lighter wheels and fork on and it’s quite different… though i’d be tempted by a Sherpa ti? Or even a Switch9er Ti (having demo’ed one and loved it)

benp1

I still love my Mk1 Solaris. It’s set up rigid, but every time I get on it after riding other bikes for a while I think how comfortable it is. There are probably beefier ‘gravel’ bikes now, but it’s just an ace bike

snotrag

Having owned numerous steel bikes over a few decades (including some old Cotics), my experience with recent hardtails would have me advising -dont get hung up on it being steel anymore.

Theres a much bigger difference between compliant and harsh alloy frames, than there is between a generic alloy, and steel frame.

Lots of really nice alloy frames available.

StuF

How about a Cotic Cascade with some 100mm forks on?

Sodajim

I swapped my Mark 1 Solaris for long low slack with a Last Fast Forward. Not living anywhere steep I prefered The Solaris for ragging around on. Great allrounder.

faustus

I’m in a similar position in that i’ve mistakenly ditched a more traditional xc trail bike (Parkwood 29er, previously Rock Lobster 853), and dabbled in a few things but not found quite what I want. I think bikes like the Solaris have become more hardcore and the current SolarisMAX is not what I would want. I’ve been thinking on this a good while and the current options are what have been mentioned already – not too LLS, not too heavy, and not necessarily steel. Modern XC race bikes seem to fit the bill a fair bit now too…

Fairlight Holt
    Sonder Broken Road
    Stanton Sherpa
    Spesh Chisel
    Scott Scale?
    Cotic Cascade sized up to run rigid

Currently ride a Kona Unit X with my own fairly nice build on it. It handles well and I like it, and the geo is pretty spot on, but it’s pretty darned heavy and fairly stiff, it doesn’t have that zippyness which I do miss.

stanley

Yeti Arc. Nice.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, appreciated. A few repeat offenders in all the messages.

I agree with some of the sentiments regarding the SolarisMax. I found the front end / stack too low. So had to run 140 forks and spacers to accommodate. It took some bonding with and adapting to as it was initially difficult to get over the front end even with a 35mm stem as the cockpit/ETT was soooo long. There was no way I felt I could run a shorter fork.

I guess it lost that light, snappy feel too. Although it was great fun and very competent.

I guess that really low front end/stack height also put me off the likes of the Sirius and Sherpa. Obviously, this is solely based on numbers as I’ve not seen either in the flesh.

I did consider the Yeti Arc, and there have been some good 2nd hand frame options recently, but at 6′, would a large feel too compact?

The Fairlight Holt looks great and is surely quite close on paper to a modern equivalent. I’ve also heard great things about the Chisel.

Lots to ponder.

P20

I love the look of the Fairlight Holt, but i felt there were too many compromises. The 27.2 seat tube, the T47 bb being the main issues.
    I’m happy to run with spacers to get the front end high enough for my ageing neck. So the Sherpa (my wife has one and lives it) would have been good.
    I did think of running a slack set in the original Solaris, but didn’t resolve the other bits like rear end stiffness or slackish seat angle.

So I’ve gone for the Signal Ti. It’s always looked right to me. It’s beefier than the Solaris, but I’m really looking forward to it. 120mm forks at the moment, it’ll get 130mm when funds allow

faustus

Interesting, but I don’t think the 27.2 seat tube is a bad thing, plenty of dropper choices and I guess a bigger diameter wouldn’t have gone with the rest of the carefully tuned tubeset – too stiff? I’m a bit sceptical of the T47 but reading around it more, it seems OK and offers full compatibility and at least it’s still threaded rather than push fit. Adds a bit more faff making sure you have the right axle cups etc., but not a deal breaker.

I think fairlight are going to be offering complete builds of the Holt sometime next year, which makes it very tempting for a cycle 2 work deal if it comes in under £3k!

dukeduvet

What Cotic should do is bring back the Soul in 29er form and more akin to the old Solaris. Something like the Sour Pasta Party which is another option for the Op.

FOG

Had a closer look at the Pasta Party and it seems to have flat mount brakes. Odd for an MTB

dukeduvet

Seems a bit odd and here is their explanation.

link

chakaping

What Cotic should do is bring back the Soul in 29er form and more akin to the old Solaris.

IIRC some of us were predicting/suggesting this when they canned the Soul.

I quite agree, I don’t see the point of them having two virtually identical HTs (Solaris & Bfe), where one’s slightly cheaper and heavier.

Just dial back the geometry and burliness of the Solaris for the Soul, and create the ultimate dad bike. Watch those grey pounds roll in.

dukeduvet

@chapaking that’s me summed up!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Ooooo that Sour Crumble is a bit of all right.

dukeduvet

Sour Crumble is top of my list for a new bike, shame about the price! Hardtail Party was very positive about it.

fenboy

if me then my shortlist would be:

Fairlight Holt in lavender colour
    Mason Raw
    Sour Crumble (does look nice!)

then more budget choice
    latest solaris in midnight blue
    Pipedream Sirius
    OnOne Hunter?

mccraque

agree with some of the sentiments regarding the SolarisMax. I found the front end / stack too low. So had to run 140 forks and spacers to accommodate.

Totally this. I went from a mk2 to the longshot. I wanted a 120mm HT with a slacker HA. But it is now a 140 with a load of spacers to prevent me getting neck ache.

I like it, but wasn’t what I wanted really. That said I have still put 4000 miles on it. It’s my winter mule.

el_boufador

I went from a MK1 Solaris to a longshot solarismax. I LOVE the solarismax. So capable, and also versatile. doesn’t really give anything away that the Solaris did but it can’t, at least for me.

The Solaris was always a bit on the small side for me though.

Oh yeah and agree with solarismax needing to be run at 140. I wouldn’t go lower. The stack is maybe a bit low.

mccraque

I love the Solaris Max too… but I wouldn’t want to pull it out for a 6 hour race, a Welsh MTB Marathon – and the Mk2 covered those bases pretty well.

The earlier ones were definitely a bit too short though.

MoreCashThanDash

Some of us are still on Mk1 Souls, for heavens sake!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.