Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • What pedals and shoes do you use for gravel?
  • cookeaa

M520 and gaerne laser in summer
    M520 and Shimano MW5 in winter

Pretty much the same as on my MTB.

daverhp

Shimano EH500 single sided SPD Pedals.

Northwave Celcius boots if cold or wet

Fox Union if dry

Multi way release cleats (waits for shouts of outrage).

onewheelgood

Crank Brothers Candy 7s and Shimano XC7s

dove1

Shimano XT SPD’s and Shimano XC5 shoes.

kiwijohn

Time single sided pedals & Shimano XC5’s or MT91’s.

I have got some old Burgtecs on it at now for around town & I’m tempted just to stick with them & 5:10’s.

rOcKeTdOg

Fizik terra atlas, very comfy but stiff in the right place for pedaling. Just enough give at the toe for reasonable hike-a-biking. Shimano trail pedal spd

anagallis_arvensis

Time Atacs and some Specialized stiff XC race type shoes. Same with all my bikes, MTB, road, gravel, pub tbh

prettygreenparrot

Exactly the same ones I use for mtb. Nano pedals, whatever shoes fit the weather – lightweight (stinky) decathlon walking boots, 5-10 freer riders, worn out Specialized 2FOs.

kerley
    Free Member

These pedals, cause they’re lighter than XTR but much cheaper, and I can use my mtb shoes

Yep, I use ES-600s for a few reasons. Pretty light for SPD pedals, one side so lower underneath so very slight less likely to pedal strike on road and I wear XC shoes (pair for summer, pair for winter) as I need to get over styles and I also never take tools or tubes with me so once every few years have a long walk home so can’t wear road shoes.

ransos
    Free Member

Yep, I use ES-600s for a few reasons.

I have them on my road bike. They sit at a bit of a weird angle so engagement is harder than it should be, and the paint flakes off really easily. I expected better feom an Ultegra level component.

didnthurt

Wow! Those ES-600 pedals look like they’d not be the best pedals for commuting.
    Not as big and supportive as a road pedal (and doubt they’d be as stiff), not as easy to clip into as a standard double sided SPD pedal and doesn’t have a platform like an enduro type pedal for when you haven’t got quite clipped in.

Better with a cheap pair like these IME

https://www.teamcycles.com/components/pedals-cleats/shimano-pd-me700-spd-trail-pedals-black__19125?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=PDME700&gclid=CjwKCAjwpJWoBhA8EiwAHZFzfhC2lBIuKrXorJwfClzsZnP0bgOQ06wHSyeakf4Xbq0Zj6LL_lp07hoC4KAQAvD_BwE

ransos
    Free Member

Not as big and supportive as a road pedal (and doubt they’d be as stiff

On that, I can’t tell any difference and I used road pedals for years.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Like dc1988, XT8100 pedals and a pair of Mavic shoes, in my case their Allroad gravel shoes – now sadly discontinued but still available on discount at some places…may get another pair for when these wear out (though still going strong after a couple of years). More svelte than mtb shoes but still walkable and decent grip for hike a bike bits

thecaptain
    Free Member

Depends on the gravel. The looser chips with a bit of slippery limestone and the occasionally puddle, Time ATAC and shimano black shoes (can’t remember the number sorry). Dry red crushed gravel roads, shimano pedals and suede shimano touring shoes.

chestrockwell

I use the same combination of Northwave boot / cheap DHB shoe with XT SPD mid cage or standard M520/530 SPD across all my MTB’s or gravel bike. XT’s usually stay on the full suss then I have a box of cheaper SPD’s I’ve collected over the years that get swapped about.

burko73

I use CB eggbeaters and giro terraduro. Have done for yrs, bought the terraduro for  do it all shoes that could also hike a bike – can’t help thinking that the terraduros are a bit overkill on the gravel bike though and might try a lighter shoe as I don’t tend to hike a bike much. Also thinking I might switch to cb candy and get a bit more support. Have also got a pair of the cb one sided pedals which I used to use on my old Cotic do it all escapade which were pretty useful pedals but not really good at either thing if that makes sense.

scotroutes

Also thinking I might switch to cb candy and get a bit more support.

I changed from Eggbeaters to Candy’s many years ago for this very reason. Mostly, I wanted to wear a shoe suitable for a bit of hiking, therefore needing a bit of flex. The Candy’s are just enough support to allow this.

poah
    Free Member

I don’t do gravel but if I was to I would just use my MTB shoes and pedals like I do on my road bike.  It’s what I am used to and comfy with.  TIME ATAC MX pedals of various types.  I use XC shoes on the road bike and “enduro” ones on the MTB.

gkeeffe

Although I use flats in my mtb I use XT spds on my gravel bike with Specialized Recon shoes. I’ve put an higher insole footbed  in the shoes to stop me pronating as I have really high arches.  The red specialized ones are perfect.   They have made a massive difference to knee pain.  Weirdly don’t get any knee pain with flats.

TimP
    Free Member

I’ve got DMR Verso pedals on which allow me to pick and choose between 5:10 flats for more adventurous off road bits or ones that end in the pub or commuting or clip in for longer easier rides. Also<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> slightly depends on a sore knee.

</span>

It’s nice to have options

Kuco

Same as the mtb, Sidi Wire 2 Carbon shoes with Look X-Track carbon pedals. While the Sidi are comfy I do find the wire system a pain as you have to regularly tighten it up.

mrmrhill
    Free Member

5.10 trail with nukeproof plastic flatties. My brain is too slow for SPDs plus when Bikepacking I get to wonder about without cleat clop

solarider
    Free Member

Road – Dura Ace SPD SL (4mm extended axle) with Sidi Shot.

Gravel – XTR SPD with Sidi Tiger.

MTB – XTR Trail SPD with Sidi Tiger.

I don’t do walking so I enjoy the stiffness and snugness of the Sidi carbon soles and ratchety uppers. If I want a walk, I take the dog out and go for a walk. I pick my riding where I can just ride. The Sidis aren’t great at walking and the SPDs aren’t as good as some pedals at shedding dirt and seem very prone to getting stuck with small pebbles (which are common in the geology where I ride).

Next time around I would avoid the Trail variant of the pedals. The extra cage seems a bit superfluous as your contact point is the cleat rather than the sole.

I would also probably avoid SPD. The interface can squeak badly and Shimano don’t seem capable of fixing the rubber seal in place without it migrating up the axle. Time seem like a better bet.

I would however definitely stick with Sidi. They fit my feet well and are really well made.

Watching this thread with interest as I am definitely flats curious.

olddonald

What vlad said x2 – so much easier to have one pedal platform

kerley
    Free Member

Wow! Those ES-600 pedals look like they’d not be the best pedals for commuting.
    Not as big and supportive as a road pedal (and doubt they’d be as stiff), not as easy to clip into as a standard double sided SPD pedal and doesn’t have a platform like an enduro type pedal for when you haven’t got quite clipped in.

Not sure what riding gravel has to do with commuting but how can a metal pedal and axle not be stiff exactly?
    And I find them easy to clip into and I ride fixed gear making it that bit harder.

Agree that the paint comes off easily but not really a problem to me as when riding on gravel the pedals get a few stone hits anyway and can live with that for the weight which I have to keep an eye on to maintain an under 6kg bike.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

https://flic.kr/p/2p2bv5i

spd sandals and xt two sided pedals. Or a600 spds.

momo

Shimano m540 pedals that refuse to die and Giro Empire VR90 for the summer and Northwave Celsius boots in the winter.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Didn’t expect so many crank brothers users. I’ve been using them for users but thought they were the pedal everyone hated!

Anyway those and the DHB MTB velcro shoes (which I think look slick enough for road use as well), both have been spot on for gravel bike.

desperatebicycle

Whatever the XTR spd model was 9 years ago when I built the bike. Awesome they’ve been. I think the Spesh F2Os are even older but don’t look it.

desperatebicycle

Not sure what riding gravel has to do with commuting

Cos people commute on gravel bikes and don’t want to swap pedals over? (I do, and don’t.)

swavis

Time ATACs and Sidi something’s in the summer and Lake boots in the winter, the same as my MTB

Mister-P
    Free Member

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Shimano RX8 shoes in black with Shimano M530 trail SPD pedals. I have a pair of the bronze colour RX8R shoes but haven’t worn those yet as I could never ride as fast as they look.</p>

kerley
    Free Member

Cos people commute on gravel bikes and don’t want to swap pedals over? (I do, and don’t.)

Fair enough, not how I read the question “What pedals and shoes do you use for gravel?”

Anyway, the pedals would be fine for commuting as they naturally fall rear side down so foot goes straight in.

Sandwich

Time MX5’s (to pamper my knees) and some Northwave carbon soled boa copy shoes on commutes. Out for a local bimble there’s some 5.10 Kestrels to allow for some comfy walking

sillyoldman

XT trail SPDs and XC7 shoes

ads678

Shimano M530 pedals and some old Northwave Scorpius MTB shoes (from about 2015!) in summer, Shimano MW5 boots in winter.

chakaping
    Free Member

Some 15 year old Time Atac Freeride pedals from the spares drawer and some old entry level Shimano XC/trail shoes from the dusty shoe bin.

Gonna need a solution to stop my feet getting wet though.

ads678

@chakaping:

Gonna need a solution to stop my feet getting wet though.

Shimano MW5 (or MW7 (goretex) if you have more money than me) boots and grip grab gaiters.

chakaping
    Free Member

MW5 looks spot-on cheers, might be able to work a pair into the budget in a while.

scotroutes

The Grip Grab gaiters make a huge difference too.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM