Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • What pedals and shoes do you use for gravel?
  • bikerevivesheffield

Currently using my 5:10s and burgtec penthouse flats but on the bigger road sections I think these are a bit shit!

Who uses what?

NormalMan

M520 spd

dhb MTB shoes

ampthill

Stiffish shoes. Actually they are walking boot shoes designed for via ferrata. I have DMR flat pedals. Fine on the road for me.

mrdobermann
    Free Member

Burgtec mk5’s paired with five tens, ride concepts or fox Union flat pedal shoes. They work for mtbing so certainly work gravelling.

muddy@rseguy

Time Atacs, Spesh MTB shoes (same as for my full susser and singlespeed)

OP: tbh use whever works for you.

johnnystorm

Regular two sided SPDs, smallest ones possible and Shimano XC7 shoes. To be honest, that’s what I wear on the road as well.

convert

For context I use SPD SL on a road bike, SPD on a commute bike and flats on a mountain bike.

For my version of gravel I use SPD (PD M-540). I can imagine other people come to difference conclusions. I’m currently using my old xc disco slippers (sidi dominators I think) for the summer and some of the northwave (I forget the model name) winter boots in the winter.

nwgiles

a pair of mavic xc shoes and mtb clips for my gravel bike

alan1977
    Free Member

Shimano 520s and 510 kestral? hellkcats? idk the flat sole one

haven’t been brave enough to try my DHB dorica.. slippery as hell sole

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It’s gravel, so I guess whatever is fashionable at the moment. Something in a rapha or assos special edition will probably suffice.

I’m seriousness, something comfortable and clipped, it’s broadly a road bike for bumpy stuff, it is not a mountain bike for smooth stuff.

I wouldn’t go for proper disco slippers but an xc shoe with a sole and two bolt pedals are, in my opinion, about spot on.
    (something like the giro empire, because I like the look and iirc, there’s a members discount on giro)

matt_outandabout

M520 SPD and Specialized Recon (just replaced Shimano MO89) or Shimano MW7.

fossy

M520 and m089 shoes or xc3 (all shimano).

montylikesbeer

Shimano EH500’s for me, spd on one side and pins on the over side.

tall_martin

Regular two sided SPDs, smallest ones possible and Shimano XC7 shoes. To be honest, that’s what I wear on the road as well.

Same here.

I went to full road shoes and road pedals on the road bike this year. They didnt make a huge amount of difference and are irritatingly slidey just walking into the garag, never mind anything else.

mmannerr

Time Atac XCs (cheapest version) and Specialized Recons (whatever the version with 2 Boa straps is)

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve been using M520 pedals and carbon sole xc disco slippers, but this thread has just reminded me that i have a pair of M089’s in the loft that would be better suited

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

XTR 9100 pedals and RX8 shoes.  I don’t do much walking and the RX8’s are super comfy, stiff soled and very light.

jonswhite

Some old CB Candy pedals (use CB on all my bikes) and a pair of Shimano gravel shoe’s because they came in a wide fit.

retrorick

Old Shimano spd shoes with new cleats combined with old Shimano pedals.

My feet hardly touch the ground!

pisco

Time ATACs and my trusty old Five Ten Kestrels.

didnthurt

Clip less is ideal for gravel. But picking the SPD shoes should be based on the type of riding you do.

If you do regular bike packing, touring, hike-a-bike or commuting then pick a pair of shoes that are decent to walk in.

Or if you do racing of some kind like cx, gravel or even xc then pick a pair that are stiffer and lighter.

Or if you just ride a bit of everything then there are shoes that are pretty stiff yet you can walk in. I have a pair of Shimano ME5 which despite their enduro leanings have been great and have been used for long days in the saddle riding in highlands etc

Edit: both Shimano spd and Time Atacs are great, not much to pick between them.

P20

Time Atacs and Shimano Me5. The shoes are good for walking, so useful for touring. Would happily have a stiffer XC style shoe for most rides though

scotroutes

Candy 3s. I have a range of footwear appropriate to the conditions.

timmys

SPD’s (Shimano XT) and Giro Gauge shoes. The Gauge’s are somewhere in the sweet spot between disco slippers and chunky MTB things.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bog standard SPDs or copies of. Cheap enough to have pairs on every bike plus spares and those saved to turn summer road bike into winter road bike.

Shoes are always dead stiff MTB things. Never push for miles if at all so who cares about any walking flex. Winer boot things as suitable.

phil5556

Burgtec Compostite Flats (can’t remember what model?) and the same 5:10s I wear on my mountain bike.

fazzini

Nukeproof flats, and Spesh 2F20s

hammerandcycle
    Free Member

Crank brothers egg beaters with northwave boots for winter and fizik xc shoes for summer.

vlad_the_invader

I use Shimano SPDs on all my bikes (road, gravel and full suspension MTB) so I can use whatever shoes I want on whatever bike I want, subject to the type of riding I’ll be doing or the weather (so as long as I remember to take at least one pair of cycling shoes with me, I never run into shoe/pedal incompatibility problems)

legometeorology
    Free Member

These pedals, cause they’re lighter than XTR but much cheaper, and I can use my mtb shoes

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/ultegra-r8000/PD-ES600.html

wheeliedirty
    Free Member

Look x-track spd’s and Northwave XC shoes or artic boots depending upon the season

jimdubleyou

Wot vlad said…

davy90
    Free Member

Shimano M520 SPD pedals, Shimano MT7 goretex shoes in the wet and Giro Sector for dry (and funner rides). MT701s are good for walking, Sectors less so but better for distance pedalling..

Can walk on timber floors in both without damage to floor or me…

Having had BOAs, laces and/or velcro are just…..

wait4me

Shimano XT SPD’s and XC7 shoes. Bought a pair of the Fizik boots that were a 50% PSA on here recently for winter. Which sadly isn’t a million miles away now.

infovore

PD-ME700 SPDs, Giro Rincons, for both on and off road. I like them all a lot.

tomhoward

Xpedo Spry Flats (lighter than XTR…) and 5.10s

If my feet weren’t perma-knackered, it would be XTR trail and S-Works disco slippers (same for MTB)

susepic

Use same pedals and shoes for XC and Road

XT M8100 and S-Works Vent EVO Gravel Shoes

The shoes are v discounted, tho still a bit pricy. V stiff and great for climbing while pedalling. I suspect they will be too stiff for hike a bike up the downs when it gets a bit damper. Might need to look at a pair of those Fizik boots

ransos
    Free Member

I use Shimano SPDs on all my bikes (road, gravel and full suspension MTB) so I can use whatever shoes I want on whatever bike I want, subject to the type of riding I’ll be doing or the weather (so as long as I remember to take at least one pair of cycling shoes with me, I never run into shoe/pedal incompatibility problems)

Snap! I use Lake GX238 shoes for all three disciplines, sometimes Northwave boots if it’s wet and cold.

fossy

I’ve got XT’s on my FS and commuter MTB, and 4 pairs of SPD shoes as mentioned above (Xc3, 2x M089 an MW7’s), although I did get the XC3’s for the CX bike, but all are suitable.

dc1988

XT M8100 spd pedals and some Mavic XC shoes, I have Mavic road shoes and 105 spd-sl pedals for the road bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.