Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What oil for new oak worktops?
  • scottyjohn
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Recently fitted a new ikea kitchen, and we installed the new worktops that are fibre board in the middle with a 3.5 mm real oak veneer on top.
    They are great, and they come pre oiled, but they recommend you oil them another two to three coats with the ikea wood oil. I’ve done that, but any time I spill water on, it just soaks in almost straight away. So I’m thinking maybe the oil is crap?
    What’s the best stuff to use to make it as water resistant as possible? I won’t be chopping directly on the worktop, so doesn’t have to be food grade I think.

Any advice much appreciated.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Search for Osmo Top Oil.

michaelbowden

Danish oil

jeffl

Recently installed new oak worktops, actually 6 months ago now. Can’t recommend Osmo Top Oil 3058 enough. However I don’t know how well it works on an already oiled worktop as it’s actually an oil wax mix.

davosaurusrex

I was recommended Rustins but couldn’t find any so bought some Ronseal stuff, utter crap. Then got Rustins which is superb. Think darcy does stuff with wood so his shout might be even better

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Think darcy does stuff with wood

😀

Oh, the things I do… 😉

Nah, seriously, I know more about treating floors, and all I know is nothing I have ever used from Osmo has given me a problem. I have recommended Top Oil to others and have only heard good stuff back. However, Rustins are also a good company, though I haven’t a lot of experience with their stuff. For the OP, I’d imagine it would go over your existing oil just fine. Just rub your worktop back with a very fine sandpaper. Those “sponge” type sanding blocks can be useful if your worktops have a curved edge. With the Top Oil, you should still rub a coat in once a year or so.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Great guys, thanks, I’ll pick up a tin of the osmo oil this week, sounds exactly what I’m after. Thanks again for the advice

iolo
    Free Member

Sanding a newly installed worktop is hardly the answer.
    I would strongly suggest you call Ikea and tell them your problem. Explain their oil isn’t working and ask what they will do to help you get it waterproof.
    A worktop that soaks in water is unfit for purpose.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

OP, I just meant “a light rub back” rather than a full-on sand! Or you could start a fight with IKEA about it. I know which I’d do. 🙂

davosaurusrex

Oh do shut up iolo, you’re a bit bloody tedious.

woffle
    Free Member

another fan of OSMO oil here – lasted 5 years on Ikea wood tops from original coats though could have done with sanding back and re-applying by the time we moved out.

slackalice
    Free Member

Tung oil is generally what I’ve used for wooden work tops

Here’s a lazy link for more info 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

Osmo.

iolo
    Free Member

davosaurusrex – Member
    Oh do shut up iolo, you’re a bit bloody tedious

In which way?

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

Osmo Top Oil +1

mega
    Free Member

just resanded ours after 2-3 years – originally had used Morrells danish oil which was great – needed topping up once every 6 months.

Couldn’t find morrells this time so got some rustins danish oil from tool station which seems fine. A bit thinner perhaps. If I could find Morrells i’d probably use that

Water drops bead on the surface after treatment with either oil and did so even after 8 months

Just looked at that 3.5mm veneer worktop on their site. How do you rate it?

edhornby

osmo – the more coats the better, at least 3

trail_rat
    Free Member

“davosaurusrex – Member
    Oh do shut up iolo, you’re a bit bloody tedious
    In which way?”

in a has coupons for everything at the checkout kind of way.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I use Osmo wood protect and top oil on all my wooden Worktop installs now. Very easy to apply, dries quickly, lasts ages. Perfect.

GrahamS

Been impressed with Osmo Top Oil after it was recommended here a few years ago.

Shrugs off water, red wine, curry and just gets a quick top up when it looks thin, once a year or less.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What oil for new oak worktops?’ is closed to new replies.