Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 932 total)
  • light bicycle carbon rims
  • bigjim

what length nips are people using? Is 12 long enough? Seems just long enough to me.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d always use 12s.

adsh
    Free Member

Got a flat in mine last weekend, and on refitting the tyre (TLR Rocket Ron) it was rather baggy, went up eventually, but was a right faff. Which is intriguing, and not ideal.

Am I reading too much into this or are you intimating the wheel’s deformed or the tyre’s stretched.

Gee76
    Free Member

12’s fine here, though nowt to stop ya using longer if your spokes come up a bit short (i.e. if the ERD is a bit larger then LB state as mine was!)

njee20
    Free Member

Am I reading too much into this or are you intimating the wheel’s deformed or the tyre’s stretched.

Neither, it was just a comment, in part in response to the previous poster who said their tyres were incredibly tight (albeit on the wider rims).

I’d hazard a guess the tyre’s stretched a bit, and the tape has ‘bedded in’ a bit since I first inflated them. Particularly with hookless I’d prefer a tighter bead though, if only for peace of mind! I’ve got 2 layers of tape on them though, which was essential for inflation even when brand new, so my experience is certainly not that tyres are tight.

tonyg2003

5hrs ride on my 29er LB hookless with Novatec hubs yesterday. Excellent. Very pleased. Lots of roadie miles lately and some blingy wheels meant that I was flying along 🙂

_daveR
    Free Member

What width of tape are people using for these rims?

This will be my first time running tubeless so no idea what to get! Any suggestions on what valves to buy too?

njee20
    Free Member

On the ‘normal’ hookless 29er rims (ie not the 35mm(?) wide ones) I used the Gorilla 1″ tape, and some standard DT Swiss valves.

_daveR
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ve got the 35mm ones coming though, will 25mm be wide enough for a 30mm internal width?

davosaurusrex

Superstar do 29mm wide tape for 8 quid delivered

goodgrief
    Free Member

25mm tape from superstar.
    Wtb Vigilante are incredibly tight so I only needed one layer and I can inflate with a trail pump.

kimbers

ive ordered this stuff in 30mm, no idea how compatible it will be!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wtb-tcs-rim-tape-11m-roll-2014/rp-prod66624

davosaurusrex

But they’ve only got it in 26″ so no good for my 29″ rims. What? Oh look, a squirrel!

_daveR
    Free Member

Got my shipping confirmation today!

kimbers

12 days in coventry customs office, they are apparently sending out my invoice for duty today!

kimbers

Yay customs invoice arrived today managed to get to the depot and pay my fees and pick up my avalanche mod DHX air at the same time !

Yetiman
    Free Member

Cool. Interested in hearing your thoughts on the DHX shock once you’ve managed a few rides on it.

happybiker
    Free Member

Mine just arrived, they couldn’t have taken more than 5 days to go to my local post office. No customs charges either. I got the wider 29er rims, ud matte and asked for sub 400g. They were 373 and 376g, 10g less than my Crests they replaced from a pair of Hope Hoops SP wheels. I swapped them over yesterday using the “tape the rims together” method and it seems successful. I might get my local shop to check the tension before I ride as I have no idea what it is.

I’m very impressed so far and would get another (wider) set if funds permitted!

trickydisco
    Free Member

So how long from ordering do these take?

I’m off to the alps in July and wondering if that’s enough time?

DT78
    Free Member

Personally I would have a nice affordable to smash rim for alps riding… my LB have had a couple of hours at QE and a couple at cwmcarn and already have some nice scars. Only time I’ve destroyed rims is in the alps.

I’m sure they would be fine, just saying its an expensive mistake if they aren’t.

Northwind

Yeah, I’m planning on taking my old hammered Flows. I figure once I’ve got about 3 kilos of dualply fitted, the light rims get a bit less noticable 😉

kimbers

arse mine wont be back from the wheelbuilder till friday and im off to scotland on thursday!

im blaming customs, though the lbs’ wheelbuilder did say theyd be ready in time

why is it so painful getting anything bike related?

kimbers

tricky disco, mine took 3 weeks to ship + 3 days from china then 12 days in customs, its a bit of a lottery!

gee
    Free Member

They also seem to be very good on warranty. I found the bead hook had cracked away from the rest of my rear rim after nearly a year of use and they’re sending me another one FOC.

bigjim

I should really buy black nips to use with black spokes shouldn’t I…

trickydisco
    Free Member

Personally I would have a nice affordable to smash rim for alps riding… my LB have had a couple of hours at QE and a couple at cwmcarn and already have some nice scars. Only time I’ve destroyed rims is in the alps.

you’ve got a point.

Maybe i’ll get those panceti rims/tesla combo off of superstar

Northwind

For alp riding? Put it this way, I bought one of the XC Pacenti wheelsets from Superstar and the front’s proved not durable enough for tarmac commuting and occasional canal paths. (the rear seems good). So spin the circle of random wheelbuild… They do offer free rebuilds to be fair- I’ve not taken them up on that, don’t need the hassle, but you need kit you can really trust on holiday.

trickydisco
    Free Member

When i say alps it’s les arc singletrack rather than morzine/ les gets

Although that doesn’t sound good northwind. were they the TL28’s?

Annoying as heard good reviews

http://www.thelumberjackmtb.co.uk/2014/01/thelumberjack-reviews-pacenti-tl28-rims.html

Review: Pacenti TL28 26er Mountain Bike Rim

Northwind

Nah, the.. CLs is it? Nowt wrong with the rims though, they’ve got a rep for dentiness but I can’t speak for that, it’s the workmanship.

Les Arcs/area can take its toll on rims too, don’t arsk me how I knows, I just knows 😆 (admittedly I think I did the worst damage manualling into a carpark!)

waldo1
    Free Member

What tyres are people running with the 29 x 35mm hookless?
    I’m using butcher and Purgatory 2.3s and the casing is wider than the tread by a few mm.

_daveR
    Free Member

Got stung for VAT and handling 🙁

£27.50

sam_underhill

On the tape front, I used Gorilla tape. Put a nick in tape at 35mm (same as the external width) then pulled that tight into the centre well before running round pushing it into the seat and wall. The tape just rips of the roll at the same width all the way. Then the tape goes up the side wall a little, but it doesn’t matter at all as there’s no beadhook. Took them to wales last weekend around natural stuff, Brechfa trail park and Cwmcarn. No problems at all with the wheels. They were just the right amount of tightneed and inflated easily with a track pump. Maxxis Ardent & Minion DHF tyres.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Got stung for VAT and handling

£27.50

It’s hardly getting stung though, is it? By rights they should have charged you import duty on £300 as well!

_daveR
    Free Member

Yeah I mustn’t grumble. It was more the delay that irked.

Finally got them yesterday and am impressed. Now to get the built up!

Yetiman
    Free Member

What tyres are people running with the 29 x 35mm hookless?

I’m running 2.4 Rubber Queens (Trail Kings) on my 29er 35mm hookless rims. I had a look at them this morning while I was out riding, and the sidewall is slightly wider than the tread, but just a smidge though. I guess the narrower the tyre the more pronounced this is going to be on a wide rim.

davosaurusrex

I’m running 2.35 Hans Dampfs on mine. Incredibly tight to get on and off but I like the security that gives.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Best to buy built from China or as rims only?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a Dampf on the front and a Michelin wilder racer/spesh ground control on the rear. Of those, the Michelin was the hardest- I nearly couldn’t use my thumbs. The Dampf was fine, as was the ground control they were neither really tight or really slack.

Gorilla tape for my rim tape worked extremely well first time I’d used it.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Mine are still going extremely well, despite doing the last 3k (all descending as well) of the Dyfi enduro with a completely flat rear on a rigid bike. I half expected to see some damage to the rim sidewall, so happy to have gotten away with that one!

AlexSimon

Do they make a nice light mid-strength rim?
    Most of these seem to be massive rims at a similar weight to alu xc rims

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 932 total)

The topic ‘light bicycle carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.