Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What off-road light system
  • oblique
    Free Member

i was looking to spend preferably under £300 on a decent led lighting system. What are peoples recommendations?

druidh
    Free Member

P7 on the bars (Airbike from On One if you want a warranty etc) and a Fenix on the helmet. Should get you sorted for around £200 (incl charger / NIMHs)

silverfox
    Free Member
    carlphillips
    Free Member

see trout off of here

righty
    Free Member

YOU DO NO NEED TO SPEND MORE THAN £50 FROM DEAL EXTREME!!!

oblique
    Free Member

where is the cheapest place to get p7 torches in the uk? how easy is it to get the deal extreme torches imported?

bikeservant
    Free Member

I like Jet Lites Blast. They are great lights for the price.

z1ppy

canne get DX torches in the UK, other than Ebay, but there still sent from HK… (unless some-one has a DX torch to sell 2nd hand).

DX do free P&P, just take a while to arrive (2-3weeks in the worst cases), it’s very easy – you order, they send it – Customs are not interested.

and they are much better than most £300 bike light systems….

spanners
    Free Member

Another vote for Tiger Lights. Web address as on earlier posting.

DezB
    Free Member

There’s a risk of fakes off Ebay too. DX gets you the genuine article.

If you still have doubts about using “torches” as “bike lights” ie. battery life, mounting issues (like I do, but I spent my dosh before the P7 revolution came about), then the Ay-up MTB kit is good. Great thing about them is the mounting – for a helmet light they are very low profile and easy to swap between bike/helmets.

I must say Ay-Ups are nowhere near as bright as a P7, so if its max brightness for your money… you know where to go.

oblique
    Free Member

I think you have convinced me to use deal extreme. £70 for 2 torches 4 batteries and a charger.

How long is the burn time from one battery?

jfeb
    Free Member

1 hr on max. But easy to extend that by switching to Medium for climbs, flats etc.

jfeb
    Free Member

P7 on the bars and Fenix TK-11 on the helmet is the perfect cheap combination IMO. THe TK-11 has a pronounced spot that is significantly brighter than the P7.

scruff
    Free Member

Stoppiggn mid ride to change batteries is daft, dont you fix a puncture before riding?

MrAgreeable

YOU DO NO NEED TO SPEND MORE THAN £50 FROM DEAL EXTREME!!!

Unless you want something that you can use without banging your knees on it, fiddling with a wobbly mounting, having it conk out on you thanks to dodgy wiring, or stopping to change batteries every hour…

z1ppy

ohhh so he need to spend £500 on a lupine system instead does he, so that he doesn’t have to stop for 2minutes every hour… ffs.

So say the owner of a £450 lupine system which I will not be replacing.

scruff
    Free Member

People who own Lupine LEDs are very happy with the robustness and performance and lack of faff not only ruining their own ride but also their friends rides.

enfht
    Free Member

Cant fault my Hope 4’s, reliable, sturdy and v bright. Don’t know what diff the 2009 version is though, seems to have the same spec as my 2008 model?

MrAgreeable

£450 is silly money when Hope Vision 4s are available for £220 online now. I have some and I’m really happy with them. Those Tiger Lights look good too, especially if you’ve got a Lumi battery already. Obviously a bike-specific system is going to be poor value compared to a Dealextreme P7 if you’re only comparing it on lumens, but there’s more to it than that.

Del

i have to agree that a quality bike specific system does give the benefits of reliability and ease of use. TBH in the woods, at night, in winter, i just want a decent set of lights that work reliably.
    FWIW – lumicycle. you can pick up a lot of HID second hand these days too, for just over a ton. they’re not suddenly crap.

righty
    Free Member

Unless you want something that you can use without banging your knees on it, fiddling with a wobbly mounting, having it conk out on you thanks to dodgy wiring, or stopping to change batteries every hour..

if you change power settings they last a lot longer than 1 hour- you dont need it on full power except on fast downhills, even then its more than enough , and I dont bang my knees on it cos I mounted it properly 😆 , I have a 10W HID and my P7 pisses on it, for £50 its a no brainer.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Only one mention of the AyUps it seems, they may not be the brightest but if you want a really flexible kit that will see you through the night (their quoted run times are at full brightness) with minimal faffing, I had a spare 3 hour battery when cycling through the night C2C from the standard kit. Plus home and car chargers plus great customer service then they may be worth a look.
    Yes I have some, yes I love them, no I have not had any other MTB lights (apart from 20 quids worth of Cateye opticube that made life “interesting” off road 🙂 )

nicholasnismo
    Free Member

Exposue nuff said no fuss no wires great lights.

z1ppy

inicholasnismo – Member
    Exposue nuff said no fuss no wires great lights.

That why all my m8’s have dumped there onto ebay and bought P7’s…

BigJohn

I just bought a Lumicycle LED lamp unit for £160. Fits the standard lumi battery.

It is VERY bright. Tried it out round Stafford Castle last night, I was persuaded to get the spot version, not sure yet, might swap it for the flood.

You can see a long way in front, for when going downhill fast, but its hard to see turn-offs to the side.

scruff
    Free Member

John, you can only ride in straight lines anyway.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What off-road light system’ is closed to new replies.