• This topic has 24 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tom84.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What "nice" 29er frame for a new SS build?
  • dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Hi

Looking at building up a “nice” 29er SS. This would be a fully rigid build but would like the option to add front suspension or maybe gears if the mood/need arises.

I’m looking for a frame on which to base a build. Initial favourite was the Niner Air 9 RDO but that’s 2k for the forks and about £450 for the forks. It looks nice but not sure it’s that nice or that I really want to spend that much.

Is anyone using this frame at the moment? If so, what do you think?

Any suggestions for alternatives to consider?

richellicott
    Free Member

In a typical “recommend your own bike” I will say Salsa El Mariachi.
    Build it how you like, no fuss singlespeed setup. Steel is real etc etc

I’ve just built mine up rigid single speed with 2.2 inch wide tyres. I put a Surly fork that will allow 3 inch up front to give a bit more bounce but not bought some yet.

letmetalktomark

Pipedream Skookum

munro
    Free Member

+1 on the El Mariachi – I had one and sold it and have missed it everyday since.

I’ve got a Singular Gryphon and I’m running it “full niche” – fat tyres, flared drops etc. It’s lovely, reet loverly.

kcal

Singular Swift?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

If you want a large there’s a Spot honey badger on the classifieds- can run ss and gears and even belt drive- being sold by one of the Slovenian singlespeed crew

sssimon
    Free Member

pace rc129 (if we are recommending stuff we have for sale……….)

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Tbh I’m not selling the Spot I’m trying to avoid buying it!

MSP

You can get SS dropouts for a santa cruz highball, carbon or Alu depending on budget.

slackman99
    Free Member

Custom titanium frame for around £600?

Clink

@ pop larkin

Tbh I’m not selling the Spot I’m trying to avoid buying it!

😯 but you’ve just got a….

rexated
    Free Member

OP, bear in mind that the Niner Air9 RDO isn’t supposed to run SS due to the nature of the BB shell. The old Air9 Carbons were, and I’m not sure about the newer version. I have a Air9 (alloy) that I run rigid SS with a Niner fork and that works out really well. 3.3lbs which is about the same as the Carbon Air9s believe it or not (Niner routinely seem to tell porkies about their carbon frame weights!).

swanny853

Pivot les? Seems to be pretty versatile, twentynineinches gave it some good reviews both geared and as if I’m right

xcstu
    Free Member

Is anyone using this frame at the moment? If so, what do you think?

Can’t comment on the ss side of things but running 1×11 and it is simply a pocket rocket! Just a shame the rider isn’t at the moment haha

The new frame is 200quid less than old so knocking at 1800 for new!

Clink
    TimCotic
    Free Member

If you only wanted to spend £250 on your frame, I have a lovely looking Salsa Mamasita 18″ frame in white with blue decals, blue Salsa seat clamp, and Chris King Rasta tapered headset with Hope 1&1/8th converter.

Was planning to build a single speed (with a singulator) but I changed my mind so it’s hanging in the garage unemployed but looking gorgeous. Seat post diam 27.2. I haven’t got pics yet, but you can see it on google images.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=salsa+mamasita+2013&biw=1173&bih=802&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_zf_VImUJe-U7Qa6gIHICg&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQsAQ

Candodavid
    Free Member

Curtis custom?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Don’t panic Clink the Jones isn’t going anywhere- I had a thought about the spot as a geared alternative but tbh I’ve got a geared swift waiting to be built in the shed anyway 😳

Clink

phew! 😀

ratherbeintobago

In a typical “recommend your own bike” I will say Salsa El Mariachi.

This.

swanny853

That les link was cruel. I’ve wanted that or a yeti arc for ages. I did think it was lighter than that though

bm0p700f
    Free Member

This is the problem i have had until i stumbled across a gary fisher ferrous for little money. Enough options if you have mkneh but on a tighter budget the options are more thin.

Contact a frame builder like taylormade or similar and get a custom frame made. In the long run that what i want to do with ferrous replace it with something lighter.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

This is the problem i have had until i stumbled across a gary fisher ferrous for little money. Enough options if you have mkneh but on a tighter budget the options are more thin.

Contact a frame builder like taylormade or similar and get a custom frame made. In the long run that what i want to do with ferrous replace it with something lighter.

solarider
    Free Member

Chris King Cielo with Paragon adjustable dropouts.

tom84
    Free Member

i would get a new santa cruz highball al, they are selling the older ones at stiff reduced too.

but i am just saying what i want and probably not being helpful

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What "nice" 29er frame for a new SS build?’ is closed to new replies.