Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What new gravel rim.
  • nixie

I’m done with my current gravel rims (WTB frequency team i19). While light (417g) and strong they have been nothing but a PITA tubeless. I think it’s the ramp in the middle causing value issues but nothing or any tape/strip method lasts. Best was caffelatex rim strips but those also now failing.

So what rim, 700c, 32 hole (want to keep the 240 hub) and ideally 603ish ERD (so spokes can be reused). Most of the stuff I’ve looked at so far is a lot heavier. I’d maybe also like a little more width.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Something from DT Swiss

cp

Interesting issues re. WTB i19 rim. I use them on a couple of bikes and haven’t had issues tubeless. I use cheap Planet X valves and Tesa tape & also some cheapo webbed tape on the rim bed & have used with WTB Nano 700×40 tyres & Vittoria Gato 29×2.2’s with no bother.

What tyres are you using?

nixie

I’ve used gorilla tape, clear gorilla tape, cheap planet-x tape, tesa tape and caffelatex rim strips. Valve wise I’ve used a variety of different shaped bases. I think the valve hole may be slightly oversized which with the deep channel makes it hard to get the valve to sit in properly. The current rim strips worked for a couple of years but I think having pulled the valve in and out a few times (cleaning, hub swap, tube when punctured) has caused the rim strip hole to get baggy. You can see where it has been deformed into the rim valve hole. Tyre wise I run Schwable G-One allroad but have tried with a couple of other tyres (Specialized tubeless CX tyres that I can remember and some others).

Do you have issues seating beads? This is also something i have had an issue with and have resorted to high pressure (80psi) to seat. This killed last nights attempt, wheel was sealing fine until the high pressure to seat bead made the valve leak again.

Something from DT Swiss

That was my first thought but all seem (relatively) heavy (> 500g).

intheborders
    Free Member

I recently bought wheels from JustRidingAlong, Monitor, 25mm internals.

No idea of weight, but built at 1600g all in.

Seem strong work well with 50c tyres.

crazy-legs

Something from DT Swiss

That was the consensus when I asked a similar question a few months ago.

What Tubeless CX Rims?

jimdubleyou

I’ve got HPlus Sons Hydras.

Under 500g, 25mm, go up tubeless (although I’m not running them tubeless at moment) Fail on ERD (598).

snotrag

The DT Swiss gravel rims are quite heavy – I think its because they have gone for a bit of an Aero profile, thus a lot more material. Now I dont know about you but I dont really care much for Aero on my gravel bike, I bet my average speed is not much more than my MTB.
    So I went for the XR361 XC Rim.

GR 531 – 24mm – 535 grams

XR 361 – 23mm – 410 grams

XR 331 – 20mm – 380 grams#

or even…

XR 391 – 25mm – 440 grams

all in 29″ 32 hole flavour.

I went for XR361 as I’m using large 50mm gravel tyres but as your replacing an i19 you could probably use the 331 easily. 25mm on a gravel bike is pushing it a bit personally.

cp

Do you have issues seating beads?

I always seat with an inner tube and leave for 48 hours before removing one bead, remove tube, fit tubeless valve and re inflate with a BETD tubeless inflator.

Wonder if my initial use of the inner tube helps the tape fully set into the rim as well as seat the tyres.

13thfloormonk

Pacenti are my go-to, you won’t get much lighter (for the depth anyway, approx 25mm deep) and they seem to go up tubeless very easily.

Can’t remember ERD though, nasty feeling it’s <600mm

nixie

I knew I’d seen a similar thread recently but couldn’t find it.

JRA rims 24 and 28 hole only (don’t want a full wheelset ideally).

Hydra looks the sort of thing, 32 hole seems to be unavailable from a quick search. ERD matching was a long shot, will buy spokes if needed.

I wear MTB clothes on my Gravel bike and apparently we ride at ‘Gentleman’s’ all day pace :D. Aero is not a concern. Those XC weights are more like what I was expecting to find.

Current tyres are I think 38c but need at least a new rear so thinking of sizing up.

snotrag

I’d go for the XR361 then like I did – they build up really nice (they include the clever Squorx nipples) and have that lovely bead blasted and anodised DT swiss finish,

The 361 is asymmetric, which means you’ll need more spokes, but it does mean you can often use the same spoke lengths on each flange.

nixie

Based on the spoke lengths I have (well ordered need to calc which wheel f/r is fitted with which spokes) I think I can reuse by using 14mm nipples (which I also have). That would be handy.

hatter

The DT Swiss gravel rims are quite heavy – I think its because they have gone for a bit of an Aero profile

It’s more that DT rate them up to 130 KG, they’re designed to be strong enough for heavier riders, bikepacking etc, they’re also reinforced for use at higher pressures.

The XC rims are only rated to 110 KG and are not designed for use with high pressues, hence lighter.

sillyoldman

If you’re 60-70kg, 110kg loaded “system” weight limit is fine – especially as DT tend to play on the safe side on that front. If not, the trail “XM” rims are good – particularly the XM421 and have a higher 120kg limit. Used them on a build recently and are a good size for the 52mm Mezcals.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Just managed to get a pair of DT Swiss gr 531 rims to build as a spare set for my gravel bike. Decent price from Bike24 in Germany 3-5 day delivery.

branes

Big, heavy, but they are the right ERD https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/kinlin-tl-29-mtb-disc-brake-rim

I think you’ll struggle to find something with the same ERD at a weight you’ll like. Anyone near you cut spokes down?

nixie

I’ve those kinlin rims in the Halo badged Vapour 35 form on my MTB. Great rim but not one for a gravel bike. They are 30mm ID which is way too wide. It does give me an idea of what to do with the current spokes :D.

continuity
    Free Member

Sack the spokes and get some LB WR45’s?

gazza100

I used my wheelsmith wheels in earnest for the first time last weekend. 60 plus miles in the Aberfoyle / Calendar area. Heard nothing but good reports about Derek so went them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What new gravel rim.’ is closed to new replies.