Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What Tubeless CX Rims?
  • crazy-legs

The rims on my CX bike are battered – it’s an American Classic Hurricane Disc wheelset (AM.Classic obviously being defunct now).

The hubs themselves are absolutely fine, the rims are getting towards the end of their life with numerous dings (although they still seal tubeless fine). Some of the alloy spoke nipples are crumbling as well. They’ve had a hard life though so no complaints.

Any recommendations as to what to rebuild them with? I’m happy to keep the hubs and just re-lace onto new tubeless rims so what’s the current CX choice? 700c, 32H and obviously tubeless ready.

If it makes any difference, the tyre choice is 38c Schwalbe G-One.

simondbarnes

Dt Swiss GR531db

Onzadog
    Free Member

Depends how much you want to spend, but I really like my lightbicycle rims. The biggest benefit is that they will do a UST rim bed at no extra cost.

twisty

I was going to suggest DT Swiss RR481db, but as you’re going beyond CX tyre width you might be better off with the extra 2mm internal width of the GR531. A carbon lightbicycle rim is a lighterer but expensiver option.

If you want to use alloy nipples again then I find the Sapim Polyax ones seem to fair well and particularly like the way I can use a box wrench or spoke key on their double square ones.

hatter

Depends, if you’re likely to actually race CX seriously then 22mm and 33c is the UCI limit on rim and tyre width, the RR481’s are designed as CX race rims and will be fine, the GR531’s are too wide.

Also, if you may want to put on mudguards and 32c’s in the future the RR 481’s would be more suitable.

However, if you’re really looking to ride gravel and run 35c or wider, the GR531’s all the way.

Both will come with DT nipples included

crazy-legs

Depends, if you’re likely to actually race CX seriously then 22mm and 33c is the UCI limit on rim and tyre width, the RR481’s are designed as CX race rims and will be fine, the GR531’s are too wide.

The bike is a Crux but it’s the “old geometry” one so it’s basically a gravel bike by modern standards, not a pure CX bike. Also, the only “CX race” I ever do is the Three Peaks and even that I’ve finally said never again. So there’s no chance I’ll ever be racing!

hatter

O.K. that’s easy, GR 531’s then.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Kinlin xr21/31t
    Dtswiss xr361
    Dtswiss xm421
    I’ve used all the above and would recommend any of them for what you are describing with the caveat that if you’re a big fella then the xr361 might be a bit noodly.

simondbarnes

with the caveat that if you’re a big fella then the xr361 might be a bit noodly.

He’s a bit of a porker so probably best to avoid those.

john_l
    Free Member

481s here, 24h with bladed spokes. Built by Strada and really really nice. Standing up well to a fair amount of abuse.

Pacenti Forza also worth a look. Bit narrower though (but still wider than DH rims 10 years ago ;o)

13thfloormonk

Loving my Forzas, can’t imagine them feeling too narrow at 19.5mm internal, they support my 40mm Terrenos beautifully, really floaty ride.

Relatively light for the size and depth, nicely drilled with directional spoke holes, offset rear spoke holes, smart looking decals 😎

Almost too nice for winter rim brake use sadly, think I need some sacrificial training wheels.

Also, +1 for Sapim alloy nipples, I had to redish my rear wheel after 6 months and they all spun nice and freely. I did give the threads a smear of copper grease right enough…

DavidB
    Free Member

I am interested in this thread @crazy-legs as I’ve just bought a Crux (love it). I’m looking for something tubeless for mainly road riding with the odd easy track. Ideas?

crazy-legs

I’m looking for something tubeless for mainly road riding with the odd easy track. Ideas?

I really like the Prime wheels (CRC own-brand) that I’ve got on my road bike. The wider ones are rated for everything, not just road. I did actually consider a whole new set of wheels and they were the first ones I went to.
    These for example: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prime-kanza-700c-alloy-gravel-wheelset/rp-prod187397

Still wondering what the easiest would be – in terms of getting something immediately, they’d be right up there rather than going for a rebuild.

cookeaa

I’ve just Ghetto tubelessed a pair of exal mx19 to use on a cheapo SSCX build I’m attempting.

I Picked them because they were cheap, rim brake compatible, 32h and happened to be 19mm internal width.

It was a little bit of a wrestle to get the tyres on (Hutchinson 32mm jobs) without a nice central ‘well’ for the bead, but they went up, seated and held air just fine…

But yeah, being willing to adapt a non-TR touring or MTB rim opens up some options…

Edit:

Or there’s these AMBROSIO-P20 rims that I PSA’d when they had them in cheaper, £35 isn’t bad still for a TR road rim that could probably take a few offroad knocks…

Milese
    Free Member

I’ve got these, more expensive than rebuilding and not enough spokes, but a lot less fuss and great weight!

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wheels/novatec-cxd-wheelset-clincher/11365363.html

vdubber67
    Free Member

OP – Three Peaks has got a 35mm tyre limit btw 😉

crazy-legs

After some back and forth and looking at stock on various options, I decided on the DT Swiss R500 as a reasonable budget choice of rim – the bike is several years old and it’s not going to be doing any more racing so there was no sense in going all-out on it.

My LBS ordered the rims (I was going to go via CRC but I like to support him and there was only about £3 per rim price difference).
    So one R500 rim has arrived… That was the last one at the distributors and in the meantime CRC and Wiggle have also sold out of the R500.

Might have to commit the cardinal sin of having mis-matched rims.

nedrapier

have you tried Bike24? I got my pair of 470s there for much cheapness

jwh
    Free Member

carbon rims from light bicycle?
    Got a set of their AR24 rims with novatech hubs – which weigh in at 1150g 🙂

crazy-legs

Good shout on Bike24 – rims in stock and ordered! Thanks @nedrapier !

nedrapier

Tastic.

Now you have the same rims as Fiona Kolbinger so you can win the Transcontinental.

With my lowly 470s all I can hope for is top 10 at best.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What Tubeless CX Rims?’ is closed to new replies.