Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What NAS storage?
  • bruneep

After the death of my Buffalo linkstation.. 🙁

I’m needing a new NAS. Would like a twin drive, looking at the Netgear Stora any other recommendations?

B

jam-bo

i bought a netgear ready nas duo recently for my wifes business. dead easy to install and setup.

superfli
    Free Member

I wouldnt touch anything (mirrored sets) cheap, more trouble than they are worth.
    I’ve had a maxtor storage (which you couldnt recover a failed drive from WTF?!) and an icybox (complete opposite, recovered, but it kept on failing and recovering!).
    I then went out and bought a twin USB drive as I keep the PC on all the time anyway.

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

I’ve got a Synology DS409+. The DSM management interface is great and download manager means I can download torrents outside of the cap window from my ISP.

Quite pricey but packed with features, I have a 1TB RAID-1 setup where I keep all my media and docs, means I don’t have ‘My Documents’ scattered between my laptop and desktop. I’ve also got an extra drive setup for iSCSI which means you can have a drive in the NAS seen as a local hard drive on you puter, neat and geeky.

You can also setup web servers and file access so you can get at your docs anywhere in the world just by leaving your NAS on, it also registers with Dynamic DNS. It also powers down the hard drives after 20 mins inactivity and wakes them up when you need to access.

Ewan
    Free Member

There are re furbished link stations on ebay for about 40 quid…

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got a linksys ‘media hub’ that cost £80 from er… I forget. Much reduced tho.

nickjb
    Free Member

I use an old xbox. £10 from cashconverters. Takes two drives. Runs bit torrent, too. Bit fiddly to set-up, but not too bad.

nuke

Wish I’d seen this thread earlier. Just orderd an Iomega 1TB NAS for home use…hope it’s going to be alright 😕

petrieboy

Lacie 1tb installed this week – I say installed but that’s overstating it somewhat, i plugged it into the router and it imediately showed up on all computers (xp, vista and ubunto) runs iTunes server and downloads torrents, sleeps and wakes up when required, very quiet etc. Have not used the backup facilities but sure that would be good also. Happy days

nicko74

This one: http://www.reghardware.com/2010/10/19/review_peripherals_dane_elec_myditto/
    Sounds great – cheapish, easy to use, two ports for drives, plus widgets so you can access your files from outside your network.

freddyg
    Free Member

8TB of Qnap TS419P loveliness here 😀

I’ve got it running in RAID5 to maximise available space while providing a little redundancy; I had one drive fail a couple of months ago, but it was replaced under warranty. No data lost.

It is massive overkill for what we actually need, but I wanted a 4 bay unit. It won’t be too long before my kids start dowloading stuff, saving MP3s etc, etc and the cost of disks wasn’t too bad so I stuffed it with 4x 4TB drives. This gives me a usable (almost) 6TB.

huggis
    Free Member

another vote for Synology DS409+. interface and functionality great. I tried 3 other makes beforehand that all had reliability and / or functionality issues.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I had a relatively cheap NAS – the Icy Box IB 4220. It was OK and a solid little files and media server but had a few limits for what I was trying to do with it. Namely speed of transfer (8MB/s, limited by CPU in NAS) and inability to backup direct from the NAS.

After working round them for a while and getting frustrated, I splashed out on what is massively overspecced for me, based on the adage “Better to spend too much and waste a little than spend too little and waste the lot”!

Qnap TS239 Pro 2
    http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=147

Very fast transfer speed over a cabled network, upgradeable RAID and lots of backup options (currently set up to automatically sync selected folders as soon as you plug in a USB drive to the rear port) and all sorts of functions – media server, FTP, www with PHP and MySQL, DNLA.

I’m very happy with it, rock solid, fast, full of features and upgradeable – but not that cheap.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What NAS storage?’ is closed to new replies.