• This topic has 43 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by alanf.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What Maxxis front tyre to compliment a Minion SS on the rear
  • escrs
    Free Member

So my hardtail currently has a Maxxis Minion SS 29×2.3 tyre on the rear and the front is a 29×2.5WT Maxxis DHF

The front needs replacing so i want to get another Maxxis tyre (prefer matching brands) that has less aggressive tread (bike is now used for light trail/XC and riding on roads to get to trails) has good rolling resistance but still have some cornering grip, oh and id like it to be around 800 grams in weight, minimum width of 2.3 wide, not too fussed about 3C compounds but EXO sidewall would be good

So what do you recommend?

kelvin

After reading the title, I came here to suggest what it turns out you’ve already tried. Having read the post, perhaps an Ikon or a Rekon if you want something that rolls any faster. I’m about to (for spring) try a DHRII 2.4 on the front paired with a SS. Lighter, smaller and in a less sticky compound to the DHF I’ve been running.

Rubber_Buccaneer

After reading the title, I came here to suggest what it turns out you’ve already tried

Ditto.  How about dropping down to a 2.3 DHF?

superfli
    Free Member

I was going to say Assegai 2.5 Maxxgrip as thats what I pair with the Minion SS on rear of the big bike for summer.. Then read your post lol!
    I have Rekon on front and rear of my Spur and have been impressed with their speed and traction over Autumn. Havent used it in the winter though! Rekon on front should be good.

tomhoward

In your situation, I’d go ardent 2.4.

jimmy748

I’d go Dissector.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies

Dont want to drop down to a 2.3 DHF, i dont need the grip the DHF offers on the kind of riding the hardtail does

Already running 2.5WT DD Maxxgrip Assegai’s (which i rate very highly) on my Spesh Levo e-mtb, no way id want them on my hardtail

Looked at the Dissector, unfortunatley there is no such thing as a dry UK summer so not sure how a tyre designed for dry trails would fare given how unpredictable the UK weather can be

The Ardent seems to be the best compromise, better in wet conditions than the Dissector but has slightly higher rolling resistance, both weigh the same

So swinging towards the Ardent at the momment

Comparing the Minion SS which is meant to be a rear only tyre to the Ardent which is a front and rear tyre, the Minion SS is better in all catagories than the Ardent apart from its slighly worse in mud

Minion SS
    Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 16-29-15 Minion SS

Ardent
    Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 16-30-47 Ardent

kelvin

The Ardent seems to be the best compromise, better in wet conditions than the Dissector

No, no, no. Not on the front anyway.

chiefgrooveguru

“ Dont want to drop down to a 2.3 DHF, i dont need the grip the DHF offers on the kind of riding the hardtail does”

The 2.3 DHF has significantly smaller knobs which are more tightly spaced than the 2.5 – it’s quite a lot less grippy and faster rolling.

joebristol

You could try a Forekaster on the front. It’ll have less outright grip than a dhf but is better in the mud than a dissector. Rolls fairly fast – it’s classed as an ‘aggressive xc’ tyre. I’ve run one on the back of my hardtail all year round. Run a magic Mary on the front in the slop and dhf in the summer. Forekaster has been great.

Just to add I’ve picked up a rekon for the back of my fs bike for the summer – I wouldn’t run that as a front tyre. Feels flimsier than the Forekaster and it wouldn’t fare well at all if it saw any mud. I don’t rate the ardent either.

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t know who at Maxxis made those charts about their tyres but having ridden a fair few of their tyres and found contradictory behaviour, I suspect they were made by someone in the marketing department that doesn’t ride mountain bikes!

blitz

There’s no way I’d take an Ardent over a dissector

poah
    Free Member

why limit yourself to maxxis – there are actually other brands out there.

zerocool

I’d go with a smaller DHF, a DHR or an Ardent.

I’m a fan of matching tyre brands as well but currently my hardtail has a DHF 2.5 and a 2.6 WTB Trail Boss. Both with blacked out logos to appease the voice in my head telling me they must match. I had a SS on the back but items worn out and found the DHF/SS was a good combo.

(Also this has basically been my first time not running DHF/DHF in about 15 years).

sillyoldman

Ardent on the front in wet conditions is some sort of death wish.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

2.4 DHR2 on the front is fairly light and fast rolling, but has good edge grip when needed. And I’d mirror comments above about Ardent, not a fan of them on the back let alone the front!

jimmy748

An Ardent is never the answer, unless the question is, Other the an Aggressor, what is the worst tyre Maxxis make.

honourablegeorge

Ardent and Forekaster are rubbish up front. Dissector is surprisingly good in the wet, I’ve kept one on the rear of my trail bike all winter. Rolls well but has decent side knobs matching your SS out back. It’s like a DHR2 with shallower tread. Ardent and Forekaster will have less cornering grip than the SS

jairaj

I’m a big fan of the Ardent on the rear, the internet is full of people saying you will die if you put it on the front so I haven’t tried it.

I’d say try a high roller 2, dissector or aggressor.

Maxxis make far too many tyres, it’s very confusing because there is just so much choice!

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies

The 2.3 DHF has significantly smaller knobs which are more tightly spaced than the 2.5 – it’s quite a lot less grippy and faster rolling.

Deffo dont want a DHF even in 2.3 as they weigh just under 1kg

why limit yourself to maxxis – there are actually other brands out there.

Tried many brands over the years and always come back to Maxxis, ive learnt when i find a product/brand i like then stick with it, plus i like to run matching brands and im quite happy with my Maxxis Minion SS on the rear

Intresting to hear people’s views on the Dissector being better in the wet than the Ardent which goes against what Maxxis say, so will do a bit more research on the Dissector

honourablegeorge

As someone above said, those Maxxis website charts are nonsense. You only have to look at the tread on the Dissector to know its a gripper tyre than the Ardent.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Picked up a 2.6 dissector to use as a rear but stuck it on the front of the hardtail for summer, it’s still on now and I’ve ridden some real steep off piste slop and really surprised how good it is.
    If I’d tried it on an ardent I’d be dead!

chiefgrooveguru

I really like the look of the Dissector, like a High Roller 2 that actually rolls fast – but the photos/reviews I’ve seen of them suggest they get torn up really fast on the back. Should last much longer on the front because you drift so much less on the side knobs.

AlexSimon

The Minion DHF 2.3 is surprisingly fast rolling. I wouldn’t dismiss it. It’s not even that heavy.
    I’ve never tried the 2.4 Ardent but it’s a bit of a different beast compared to the 2.25 (or whatever the narrower one was). Looks like a totally different tyre.

Out of the others, the Dissector would be my choice. It’s what Orbea spec on the front of many of their Occam bikes (Rekon on rear)

jam-bo

My ‘fast’ summer setup is ardent 2.4 front, ikon 2.35 rear.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve never tried the 2.4 Ardent but it’s a bit of a different beast compared to the 2.25 (or whatever the narrower one was). Looks like a totally different tyre.

Yeah, the 2.4 has much deeper tread and is all-round a more reliable tyre than the 2.25. I ran one for a while on the front of a rigid singlespeed and it was fine as an all-round, high volume front tyre. I wouldn’t even think of putting a 2.25 Ardent on the front though. The Dissector looks like a decent compromise tyre, I’ve got one sat in the cellar, but haven’t fitted it yet.

Personally I’d just go for a Minion DHF and not stress about a few hundred grammes. I’d rather have a grippy, reliable front tyre than save a bit of weight. I run a 2.5 DHF up front and a Rock Razor 2.35 at the rear. Most rolling resistance comes from the back, so it works fine for me.

binman

Dissector would be perfect.

I have run one on the rear until it got really boggy (then went DHR2 2.4 for slop), but would have no hesitation using it on the front as a summer mixed conditions tyre. Does seem to wear quickly on the back though.

rstephenson
    Free Member

I ran a 2.4 dissector on the front for a little while. Didn’t see much point of it over a dhf so switched back. Wasn’t as confidence inspiring in technical terrain as a dhf but didn’t make any noticeable difference to my feeling of speed. I know you want to stick with maxxis but I prefer a bontrager xr4 as a lighter weight trail tyre up front. Brand aside it’s perfect for what you describe imo.

chiefgrooveguru

“Deffo dont want a DHF even in 2.3 as they weigh just under 1kg”

Is that a rolling resistance thing or a steering feel thing? Rolling resistance and weight aren’t the same thing at all -what matters is energy loss in the carcass and the rubber. And I doubt you’ll feel much (any?) difference in feel between the weight of that (925g?) and other tyres you’re considering. Also, something like 2/3 of your rolling resistance comes from the rear tyre.

BillOddie

I came on this thread to suggest a 2.3 DHF or a 2.3 DHR in EXO casing and Maxterra compound.

Presumably you’re on 25mmish internal width rims to get the SS to work well, so 2.5WT might end up being too round.

chakaping
    Free Member

If it has to be Maxxis, I’d suggest the Dissector (based purely on looking at the tread pattern) 😀

If you’re open to other brands, I’d highly recommend the Bontrager XR4 in 2.4in for your needs.

It’s fast rolling, grippy enough and pretty light. Used it heavily during lockdown 2020 when I was pedaling miles to the trails.

intheborders
    Free Member

The only time I ever used an Ardent on the front was for summer riding in the South East, paired with a Larsen on the rear.

What about a High Roller?

chakaping
    Free Member

What about a High Roller?

The 2.5 is a bit slower rolling than the DHF the OP currently has.

ayjaydoubleyou

2.35 Minion would be my vote. Look into how tyres are made, the different sizes are completely different moulds, while the basic minion concept/tread pattern remains it is not the same tyre at all.
    For the best visual example of this, look at a 2.3 and 2.4 HR2 side by side.
    The 2.4 ardent is similarly differenet to the 2.25, so dont discount it based on your (or the internet’s) hatred of the 2.25 on the front.

honourablegeorge

chakaping

If you’re open to other brands, I’d highly recommend the Bontrager XR4 in 2.4in for your needs.

He can’t be open to other brands, he has a Maxxis on the rear. What’s he meant to do, MIX BRANDS LIKE SOME KIND OF ANIMAL?

ajt123
    Free Member

Nobby Nic?

I came to say DHF. Because it’s the smart choice!

But why limit to Maxxis?

ajt123
    Free Member

I mix brands. It is sorded, but so, so finger lickin good! 😉

Binning my Aggressor an Xr4 on the rear, combined with a DHF was a breakthrough.

dukeduvet

I’d say forekaster sounds ideal. Rode one on a hire bike around Ashton Court in the sopping wet and it was brilliant. Railed berms like it was glued to the trail. Very impressed. No doubt someone will disagree!

hooli

If you are considering an Ardent and ride in the wet, I’d suggest just lying on the floor while still in the garage so save yourself getting dirty.

I had some on my hardtail a few summers back and they were fine in the dry but as soon as it looked like it might rain they just gave up all grip. Not even in a “ooh, its a bit slippery here” way but in a “why am I still pedaling while lying on the floor” way. No amount of messing with pressures helped.

devash
    Free Member

Another vote for the Dissector. Very fast rolling for a full knobbly and tons of grip in mixed conditions. Not sure where the idea that it’s only for dry weather came from. Not my experience anyhow.

Like all those style Maxxis tyres though, it does have that transition area between the centre tread and the side knobs that plays better if your riding style is to lean into corners.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What Maxxis front tyre to compliment a Minion SS on the rear’ is closed to new replies.