Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What makes it a 4×4 tyre?
  • imnotverygood

Thinking of winter tyres for my Mondeo. Kwik Fit are suggesting the Goodyear Wrangler, which I notice is marketed as a 4×4 tyre. Will it do for the Mondeo & more to the point what makes a tyre suitable for a 4×4 but not a normal road car?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I had them on my jeep. They’re a road tyre (for a 4×4 at least). Did just fine in the alps though.

No idea what they’d be like on a car. Probably fine.

erny
    Free Member

I have them on my freelander and they have been great for the last 2 winters,they are not a winter tyre more a jack of all trades,not sure what they be like on a 2 wheel drive car though

Karinofnine

I’ve got a 4×4. My tyres have a tall profile, and a fairly aggressive tread pattern. Presumably they are stronger too as my car is pretty heavy, so the tyre itself is probably heavier. HTH.

I don’t know what size tyres a Mondeo has, but if you get a different size tyre your speedo will be wrong.

crikey
    Free Member

You’d think that Dictionary publishers would have managed to get ‘gullible’ in there by now, wouldn’t you?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I wouldn’t fit them. They will have a chunky tread, but are not a winter compound tyre. You’ll actually have less rubber on the road due to the tread pattern. Ride quality and fuel efficiency will be worse. Grip will probably be worse on tarmac. They are trying to flog you what they have in stock.

sweaman2
    Free Member

From a country that knows about winter….

http://www.apa.ca/tire_wintertireratings.asp#

But as above – 4×4 is all about tread design and depth – like a mountain biking mud tyre. Winter tires are also about the rubber compounds that grip better at lower temperatures.

I would avoid and get one designed for cars in winter.

CountZero

I would avoid like they’ve got herpes. So not suitable.

willjones
    Free Member

4×4 tyres often have higher load ratings.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What makes it a 4×4 tyre?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM