Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What lightweight steel frame
  • Brother_Will
    Free Member

Okay so im getting a bit fed up of my heavy 456 so what are your recommendations for a light weight steel frame that can handle a longer travel fork. My ceiling price is £400 so sadly no custom built exotica for me.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Biased opinion, but Pipedream Sirius 631. £200.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

The Pipedream route isn’t going to happen – I’ve been after one and got an email saying they were totally out of stock and that the new stuff is in the process of being ordered etc…

Which is an arse as they look like belting frames for the money and every review of them is gleaming. So I’m waiting on the new stock.

aphex_2k – what size do you ride/how tall are you etc?

kelvin

How much lighter are you expecting?

Nick

I did 75 miles on my 456 inv 6000 ft climbing Friday night/Saturday morning, can’t say it felt heavy at all. Of course that’s not the same as wanting a nice new shiny bike 🙂

CountZero

How about the Genesis bikes?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Have a proper number 2 and save money.

shoefiti
    Free Member

isn’t the difference between most modern steel frames only about 1 lbs? i’d just get some lighter tyres and tubes, that’ll only cost you 50 sheets.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Well it wasn’t a problem till i went over to a set of air forks now the back end feels a bit dead and heavy, i dont really want to give up and go back to an aluminum frame so if i can find something a bit lighter that would be great.

So far ive shortlisted-
    Pipedream Sirius
    Charge Duster
    Rock lobster 853
    Kinesis Decade Virsa

Shoefiti cant really go any lighter on the tubes and tyres im running.
    Hairychested im recovering from a particularly nasty bout of food poisoning so not an issue lol.

Jamie
    Free Member

Rock Lobster have 30% off at the mo so that would swing it for me. Saying that though i do think you need to MTFU, I would not imagine your going to notice much a difference….but then i do 50mile rides on a Dialled Alpine so i am probably an idiot 😉

brant
    Free Member

If you want a lighter frame than the 456 that will handle a long fork, it needs to be made out of stronger metal.

Look at 853 or OX Plat for starters in steel.

Or look at a frame that will take a shorter fork, as these can be made lighter as they have less stress (due to less leverage).

it wasn’t a problem till i went over to a set of air forks now the back end feels a bit dead and heavy,

Sounds odd.

willyboy
    Free Member

the charge won’t be any lighter and it will only take up to a 100mm fork (they ride very nice, but mine isn’t particularly lightweight)- you won’t benefit much by changing the frame if your spending less than £400.

I’d get lighter wheels and better tyres as suggested above.

cynic-al
    Free Member

#
    Hairychested – Member

Have a proper number 2 and save money.

shoefiti – Member

isn’t the difference between most modern steel frames only about 1 lbs? i’d just get some lighter tyres and tubes, that’ll only cost you 50 sheets.

No, a lighter frame will ride differently.

I take it the cotic soul won’t go long enough for you?

topangarider
    Free Member

Soul would do – ridden one with a Magura Menja 130AM on the front and it was great.

This is something I’m thinking about at the mo too with my 456 not just weight though).

Maybe we could gang up on Cy and badger him for a discount on the custard Souls!!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

IvanDobski

aphex_2k – what size do you ride/how tall are you etc?

I’m 6’2″ and ride a medium (18″) with a 50mm stem.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Hmmmm that’s good to know. I had a sit on a soul the other day and the 17.5 felt pretty much bang on so I was starting to doubt the wisdom of getting a large Sirius…

Any chance of a spin if you’re near Lincs?!

JoeBones
    Free Member

So the weight difference between an air fork and a coil one made the back end feel heavy?

I think its a slurry tanker you need, not a new frame!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Sorry mate – I’m in Wolverhampton, but in the process of sodding off to Oz for a year. It’s in storage until I come back. If you can wait a year….?

😉

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Nope!

The build has been ordered, I’m just waiting for the frames to turn up!

Rebas, SLX, pro2s, EA70 😀

compositepro
    Free Member

i heard somewhere there might be stainless mtb frames kicking about …i like the sound of it ….or at least the theory …lol

topangarider
    Free Member

Apparently Whyte are bringing something steel out in September – maybe worth waiting for?!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What lightweight steel frame’ is closed to new replies.