Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • “What lights?” with a difference – for a dog
  • IHN

Given that, from this weekend, we’ll be walking the dog in the dark, and we live about a mile from the nearest pavement or streetlight, I’d like something to light up the fleabag a bit. One of the collar-dangly things won’t really cut it, I’d rather something with more all-round visibility, so some sort of harness, or something I can attach to his existing harness.

Any recommendations? The stuff I’ve seen on eBay all looks a bit ‘novelty’ for your average pampered French Bulldog, I’m after something a bit more rugged ideally.

alpin
    Free Member

I used to put either bike light LEDs or head torch around my mum’s dog. Little black shtizu poodle thing.

Dolcered

Lighthound, its a harness style, expensive, but ours is 5 years old now. Was definitely worth it compared to the dozens of light up collars we went through.

LightHound

We started a trend, everyone that saw ours asked about it, there’s about 6 running about Prestwick/Ayr now 🙂
    I’ve just got the wearable human version for me for the bike.

oldschool

We have two Labradors and use these. https://orbiloc.com/product/orbiloc-dog-dual/
    Neither dog has managed to lose or break one, and they’re a right pair of idiots 😜.

We’ve had these for about four years and still on original batteries and working well.

kayak23

I have more of a not recommended.
    I’m also interested in recommendations as the current coat we have is badly designed in my opinion.

We need a vest type thing as the led collar gets lost in his long fur.

I bought this from Amazon
    Illumiseen dog vest

Firstly, the led lights themselves are positioned far too near the top.
    I take the dog cycling around the local park often at about 6am when it’s black as pitch.

The lights on this vest, right near the top as they are, shine brightly and directly into your eyes and anyone else at human height. They should have put them low on the hem so they’re parallel with the ground.

He has this habit of running right in front of my wheel and I can’t see shit half the time.
    I actually took some red nail varnish and dabbed it on the lights which has helped a little.

That’s the second point. I wouldn’t recommend a vest with white lights. Coloured lights are less liable to dazzle you and stand out pretty well in the undergrowth.

The only way I can see where I’m going is to cancel out his lights with the superior firepower of my bike light!
    I much prefer not having a light on though and trying to adjust to the moonlight.

Impossible with the blummin dog under your feet lit up like bloody Blackpool illuminations 😂

Edit- Had a look at that Lighthound above. Looks like the lights are on the top as well as the sides. Does it dazzle you in the face?

franksinatra

I use this for my black/ninja spaniel

I wouldn’t be without it now. You cut to length, it is seriously bright and battery last well and recharges quickly. I find it easier to have it loose enough to slip over the dogs head rather than separating it each time you put it on of off. I think this will depend on the shape of your dogs head and ears though.

Collar usually lasts one winter before charging port gets knackered. It doesn’t like salt water but at the price it is easy to replace after a season of use. Having said that, current one is now on its third winter.

Dolcered

Edit- Had a look at that Lighthound above. Looks like the lights are on the top as well as the sides. Does it dazzle you in the face?

the white light (lighter) options are very bright, the other colours are less in your face (red/pink). we do occasionally have to throw the ball to get her oot the road!

i like the slow change rave one!

desperatebicycle

Cycling hi-viz LED armbands ftw.
    Few quid on ebay

bsims
    Free Member

Christmas is coming 😀

IHN

Good point, I’ve just got rid of 20m of external christmas lights, I should have made something out of them 🙂

phil5556

We just bought ours a new (better fitting) harness and a couple of EzyDog lights. Port & Starboard so you can tell what direction he’s heading.

They work surprisingly well & he keeps the harness on the whole time whilst we’re away in the camper, to clip him in when travelling.

Dolcered’s one looks good but don’t think it would work with a harness.

Like everything they used to be cheaper

EzyDog – Pet Safety Adventure Light

willard

I think I was looking at the Orbiloc ones for Ted. Ended up going for cheap silicone LED blinky ones from Decathlon. If I had another dog that ranged as far on a walk and got distracted as easily, I’d choose some sort of strobe.

onehundredthidiot

Ruffwear lights are great, but just lost two, colour can be chosen, as above ours wear red/port/left and green/starboard/right.

duncancallum

Though it’s a touch Keith lard😯

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘“What lights?” with a difference – for a dog’ is closed to new replies.