Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What lawnmower?
  • tor5
    Free Member

Just moved into a new place, garden is much bigger so messing about with extension leads and the like is going to be painful come spring. So, assuming there’s plenty of end of season sales on, now seems like a reasonable time to upgrade.

Looking for advice on good brands, petrol vs Li cordless etc.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Garden is mainly flat in the rear and slightly banked at the front. Area wise, I reckon there’s a few hundred square meters to cut. </span>

Houns
    redstripe
    Free Member

If petrol get a Honda for reliability, although our local garden machinery / mower shop does seem to be selling loads of the Lion battery ones these days.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I have the one Houns links to above.

I’m very happy with it.  Starts first time, every time and the cut quality is excellent,

footflaps

The gardeners who look after our business park have all moved to Li-ion power tools inc mowers.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Toro zero turn 137cm Timecutter. Go big.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Biggest Honda izy you can afford.

Get the one that can mulch or collect.

DaveP

I had a husquavarna (sp?) petrol mower – was great.  Got noisy(er).  I eventually killed it (~18 yrs old).

Replaced with greenworks 40v lion.  Battery lasts long enough.  Problem seems to come from when you cut it short, the motor seems to work harder and eventually refuses to start.

Other issue is that it does not seem to throw the cuttings into the basket with the same force, so is easily blocked up before it is filled up.

Lovely and quiet though!  If you are just trimming (ie cutting reguarly) then it is much better than a noisy petrol mower.

For sheer brute force it is not a patch on petrol!

nedrapier

Honda Izy.  I’d get one with an ABS deck so you don’t need to worry about it rusting.  We got a steel one because I was cheap.

You can come and mow our lawn if you want a test drive?  Needs doing, should be dry enough now after Sunday’s rain.

hooli

The gardeners who look after our business park have all moved to Li-ion power tools inc mowers.

They have at our place too, from what I am told they hate them but it is seen as moving with the times and being “green”. That and the precious office types don’t like the noise of petrol mowers and leaf blowers outside the window when they are working.

I have the Lidl/Aldi one that was in special a few years back and would recommend it. I change the oil once a year and I have replaced the pull start cord after the cord broke but it is ideal for under £100.

joebristol

I went for a lawnflite with a roller for our garden so it does fairly decent striping. It’s pretty good, but I’d say the Briggs and Stratton engine isn’t as powerful as the Honda engine on the mountfield I had before (the mower pretty much died from rust to the body of it).

That said it’s done 2 summers so far and the b&s engine has been 100% reliable and has started straight away even after being stored not used over the winter.

onewheelgood

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ransomes-Ajax-mower-With-Grass-Box-Vintage-Antique-Push-Lawnmower-/253876541642

Get one of these. Then you combine grass cutting with exercise. It’s the future.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What lawnmower?’ is closed to new replies.