Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • What kit for the peaks pootle???
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Obviously a bike and haribo's, but what else would you pack up and take along?? Spares/ tools/clothing/food?? Bivvy bag if it seriously goes tits up?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Money for burgers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

KY and condoms.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So I gather from what I've read 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

As a more serious answer my bag will contain a couple of tubes, spare brake pads, sandwiches, water, flapjack, pump, tyre levers and multitool.

tracknicko
    Free Member

take the kit you normally take! its just a bike ride not a lunar expedition.

seriously though,

which tyres?

hp_source

I would say bivvy's a bit extreme, if it's a 14 mile loop we'll never be more than a handful of miles from the cars as the crow flies.

Just the usual kit should do, I'd also consider that the larger the group the slower it will be, so maybe think about sticking an extra layer in/on as there maybe some waits at gates.

oh, and +1 for the burger money 🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

camera/videocamera/helmetcam

the more pics and vids to share after the better i reckon

a winch to pull me up the climbs would be nice

Lenny
    Free Member

Don't forget your lobster gloves so everyone knows who Zoidberg is 😀

IdleJon

I laughed when I read the bivvy bag bit.

Laughed even more when hp_source said it's not a lunar expedition.

Creased up when I read that it's 14 miles!

Do you not need an overnight stop for that distance? 😉

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I've taken a bivvy bag when going up Jacob's Ladder / Kinder Scout way in the winter – tis pretty exposed up there..

…however, for most loops around Ladybower / Mam Tor / Edale etc just the usual kit, and some tough (ish) tyres…

Drac

I didn't realise there was specific gear for the peaks. I'm so embarassed now all those times I've ridden there with cheviot gear.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

My lordy you lot are a bunch of pedantic/ sarcastic old gits when you want to be, aren't you?

It's like the tyres thread…

*rolls eyes and gets up to make a cuppa tea in protest*

wrightyson
    Free Member

I was fookin joking about the bivvy! I ain't going anywhere where orange plastic may be required to save my life 🙂
    however as for tyres I'm running on specialized captains. And to all the mockers, I've never cycled in a big group of all the gear no idea riders so I asked so as not feel left out ha ha ha 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Thing is though, if you were stuck up the top of Kinder Scout / Kinder Low in winter, with a f00kered ankle etc then a bivvy bag could make a huge difference…

..not that it's going to be needed for your ride by the sounds of it..

I'm tempted to join you all…

*trundles off and looks for thread*

Pook

How do –

I'll be in shorts.

Hora will be in his mankini.

Tyres? Something that will cope with a bit of mud (wet mud), a bit of grass, and a lot of gritstone.

I'm run Fire XCs which do for me. In my bag will be

spare rear mech (don't ask)
    2 x tubes
    Powerlinks
    pump
    jelly babies
    flapjack
    coat
    trailtools
    14" flat blade screwdriver (again, don't ask)
    spare pads.

That's it.

Honestly though, other than just looking after yourself on a winter ride, there's not much more to worry about.

iain1775
    Free Member

Use some common sense, its the Peak district, its 14 miles, its not a trail centre with a well stocked bike shop at the end, however it's also not a three day trek across remotest Northern Scotland

Oh and no good having a huge bag of kit to cover all eventualities if you dont know how to use it

Probably more important than a bivvy bag etc (and no matter if its a 4, 14 or 400 mile ride) is some basic skills – map-reading, emergency bike maintenance and first aid for a start.
    9 times out of 10 they will get you out of the sh*t regardless of what kit you have to hand in your bag

hora
    Free Member

Definitely more than one spare inner tube. I always carry three and sods law I never this much overkill – not even one of them 😆

slowrider
    Free Member

im not taking anything, going to beg, borrow or steal tools, spares and food from the stw massive

Pook

that's my usual approach

hora
    Free Member

I carry two sleeping bags in my car but not bivvy bags!

I will bring lots of cake this time (instead of nicking it)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nice thread on a thread! Looks I need to get to the lbs!

Drac

It's like the tyres thread…

Precisely like one, pointless.

Tim
    Free Member

For the peaks i usually add these to my camelbak

Gaffer tape,
    bin bags,
    fold up saw (or axe, depending on preference),
    fold up spade (trenching tool is useful),
    wet wipes

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Is the axe to kill Hora, & the spade to bury his still-twitching corpse? 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

best pack a laptop so you can log in to speak to the people on the ride with you
    Can't do this conversation stuff these days, has to be text based.
    How else would you express yourself without use of 🙂 😯 🙄 ❓

hora
    Free Member

Is the axe to kill Hora

Thats where the KY jelly and condom mentioned earlier comes into play

to bury his still-twitching corpse?

Then you can use the spade 8)

topangarider
    Free Member

Do people's normal riding gear not normally contain a first aid kit (twinned the the knowlwdge obviously). No matter where you ride, Peaks, trail centre, I find that worrying.

I've said it before and I'll say it again – I'm always amazed how ill prepared bikers seem to be compared to walkers. I'm not saying take a bivvy bag, but a warm/waterproof top, yes. And some idea of the route you are following and the ability to use a map and compass.

In a group this big, if someone does break an ankle – i'd hope there'd be plenty of volunteers to carry the person and their bike to safety.

I'm taking normal stuff and burger cash.

Drac

Do people's normal riding gear not normally contain a first aid kit (twinned the the knowlwdge obviously). No matter where you ride, Peaks, trail centre, I find that worrying.

Nope and this very subject has been discussed several times on here.

I'm always amazed how ill prepared bikers seem to be compared to walkers

I'd place big money and say a lot of walkers are just as bad.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Hence my initial post. I'm new to riding on trails such as these so was just after a few pointers. I know my current camelbak isn't capable of carrying all the mentioned kit.

tracknicko
    Free Member

"broke your arm? hang on…. (fishing about) ive got a small and muddy pack of plasters in 'ere!"

brilliant.

ojom
    Free Member

A lawyer to claim against the poor sod who guides it whilst unwittingly not knowing he is legally responsible for numptiness.

Pook

Am i legally responsible? I've just said I'm going here and there and people can follow me if they want?

tracknicko
    Free Member

you are now you've asked! uh oh. you're it!

and you just lost the game.

ojom
    Free Member

HA busted!
    8)

Pook

Ok, group ride cancelled. I'm still going to be doing the same route at the same time though.
    Wonder if anyone fancies coming?

Stick that in your pipe Perry Mason

😈

ojom
    Free Member

Just helping you clarify the situation in case all the Health n Safety types get a bit over zealous. 😀

Pook

it was all going ok 'til you mentioned it

🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

got a coshh form for the fluid in ya forks?

hora
    Free Member

Just helping you clarify the situation in case all the Health n Safety types get a bit over zealous.

Dont worry, all they have to do is watch when I purse my lips and mince. Then they will know its rocky.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘What kit for the peaks pootle???’ is closed to new replies.