Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • What is the point of ………Smart Meters?
  • dc1988

I’m with Bulb and wasn’t able to have a smart meter fitted until recently. The man came last week and after about 45 minutes had installed it fine, except for the fact that it had no signal. I now have a dumb smart meter. Supposedly they might fix it sometime soon, who knows.

keithb

We’ve just had some installed as out ageing gas meter stopped turning.

Unfortunately it appears that the Gas meter is too far from the electric meter to effectively transmit its data, thus I can only see/read the electricity usage on the display, and thus will have to continue submitting meter readings.

However, the new Gas Meter needs to have a button pushed to light up, and as I can only reach it (outside) by standing on a chair, it’s rather precarious.  I could read the old analogue meter from the ground as I didn’t need to be that close to read the big dial.

The new electricity meter doesn’t seem to be able to display on it a current reading, to confirm that the display is accurate.

I have a complaint email issued to my energy provide to  try to get them to pay for moving the gas meter to a more accessible/smart compatible location.  Or install readable non-smart meters.

All for a simple meter replacement…  This is why I held off for so long!

dannyh
    Free Member

No, that’s why I posted a link to it, so you could see the info previously posted. Jeez, what a **** I am.

Dez keeps trying and my popcorn is going stale. Someone rise to the bait….

🍿🍿🍿😴😴😴

funkmasterp

@DezB – you’re a monster. What kind of sick bastard tries to help people. Shame on you.

Does that help?

squirrelking
    Free Member

How much does it cost to do a casserole in the oven vs on the hob or in a slow cooker?

Assuming you have an electric hob (because it’s all about cutting down on fossil fuels right?) I’m not sure it’s more efficient.

Also, having had a tumble drier motor fail recently there’s no chance I’d be letting that run unattended, I’d be wanting a fire compartment for my kitchen if running all those white goods overnight was being suggested.

Because you can charge an electric car for virtually nothing which saves you money when you get one.

So in about 10 years or so.

You can also contribute towards the introduction of a balanced grid that reduces CO2 per kwh and provides a sustainable power supply for everyone.

This makes more sense.

Jeez, what a **** I am.

I mean, you are, just not in this instance 😉 x

DezB
    Free Member

😀

fazzini

pictonroad
    So, my question is, and I’m genuinely interested on the saving money front, what would be the immediate benefit to me taking up my suppliers offer of a smart meter? (Other than saving me 4.5 minutes of my life per month)

Because you can charge an electric car for virtually nothing which saves you money when you get one. You can also contribute towards the introduction of a balanced grid that reduces CO2 per kwh and provides a sustainable power supply for everyone.

If you don’t care about these things then you should

OK @pictonroad…maybe my genune question was badly lost in attempted humour, but it was genuine. Oh, and I’m not wealthy enough to buy an electric car, but rather than ‘waste’ something that still works, I’ll have to stick with my 13 year old car for the time being. I am bothered about the environment thanks very much. Apologies for being in a low socio-economic group, and not being very good at humour.

pictonroad

😂 apology accepted  @fazzini Now get off the net and get back to welding up your old Cortina…

(I was a smart meter denier for years, could not see the point, just had a full new system put in by Octopus and it’s one of those things that is just better. But definitely not life changing

intheborders
    Free Member

How much does it cost to do a casserole in the oven vs on the hob or in a slow cooker?

When you want to turn the bacon in the pan, do you turn off the gas? 🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Camden_Neild

keithb

When you want to turn the bacon in the pan, do you turn off the gas? 🙂

Surely we all grill bacon these days to minimise the fat content?

oikeith

So, my question is, and I’m genuinely interested on the saving money front, what would be the immediate benefit to me taking up my suppliers offer of a smart meter?

I have opted in for half hourly meter reads and can review the half hourly usage via a web portal, I found it handy to get an understanding of our peaks and troughs of usage. It gave me a little insight into how little our house uses when we are out or asleep then how much it jumps when we come home and everything gets switched on, as we dont get billed for peak demand no need for any action from us, just trying to use less.

Was handy to see that the wife had the heating on in the summer though as on one day she was cold!

molgrips
    Free Member

When you want to turn the bacon in the pan, do you turn off the gas?

If you’re calling me a miser, you couldn’t be more wrong, I’m the complete opposite.

I was addressing the comment made by the poster’s mother about knowing she’s using energy because the lights are on. One thing that really irritates me is people putting others down with snarky comments when they think they’re being the cleverest person alive; even more irritating when they aren’t.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

It collects information, knowledge is power.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Implementation of smart meters is awful. The intended benefits, if they got implementation rug right, help us use energy by showing us where we use it and what it costs, and secondly get us to smooth out peaks and troughs in usage by variable pricing and showing us when energy is cheap or costly. Eventually we could even have smart devices like water heaters, washing machines etc that are told by the meter when energy is cheap and they take advantage.
    It’s either that, or build more national Grid to move energy about at peak times… And another power station or 3. Ie, at peak load grid use is nearing capacity and it’s a better way of managing capacity than rolling power cuts.

Implementation really is poor though!

squirrelking
    Free Member

My take on it is, smart meters aren’t there to save money, they’re there to make money. Just another component in the internet of shit. Why would companies be so keen to get you to take them otherwise?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘What is the point of ………Smart Meters?’ is closed to new replies.