Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What is the best saddle you've ever owned?
  • paul9961
    Free Member

My saddle is tired and puts me off longer miles (Bel Air RL) I’ve never been impressed with it to be fair, had a cheap viscount or vicount one that cost 20 quid until it snapped, but could of happily sat on it all day…
    So looking for a new one, but have no clue where to start.
    What’s the best saddle you’ve had or currently ride?

Northwind

Charge Knife, for me- it’s northwind bum shaped so light, inexpensive and very comfy. I’m quite a narrow dude so it’s nice to have a skinny saddle, keeps it more out of the way when stood up.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Charge scoop.

dan86
    Free Member

A Bel Air that I’ve used most days of the year for the last 8/9 years. Tiny bit of wear on the sides, hardly anything, so almost good as new and comfy as anything.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bel Air Ti rail.

Now so tatty I don’t use it any more, 🙁

On charge spoons, whilst OK, they aren’t Bel Airs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You need to know if your arse looks the same as the people posting suggestions – probably needs some pics in the thread……

Try going back to what you know, I liked SDG’s and I like the charge spoon, so probably not a combo for you but cheap to try.
    the likes of Fizzik and Spec do a fitting service which involves getting measured so may have a better chance of getting it right and they also do test saddles so that is also a good idea.

as with anything else that you are in contact with for a long time (Shoes, Pedals, Grips & Saddle) need to be right for you so recommendations only go so far.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Selle Italia Flite. Ti railed.

Sadly just started to tear at the back after 10 short years and god knows how many thousands of miles!

kiwijohn

Flite.
    With honourable mention to WTB SST & Volt too.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve tried Bel Airs, WTB Pure V, Madison Flux (much like Bel Air) but my fave is my current perch: Fizik Gobi. I find the Bel Air and Flux uncomfortably wide in comparison now.

longmover
    Free Member

I had an arse fitting when buying a road bike, ended up with a spec toupe and its really really comfy. I found the SDG Bel Air had too much padding and felt a ungainly and the Bontrager racelite was like sitting on razor blade.

alanf
    Free Member

Used Bel airs on the MTB for ages and found them great.
    However I’ve just got a Circuit on the road bike so swapped over the Ti Fly from that onto the MTB and it’s brilliant.
    So SDG Fly in some flavour.
    More compact than a Bel Air

colournoise

I’m definitely not narrow, but I agree with Northwind. Charge Knife. Had a Spoon and a Scoop before it which were fine (apart from the Spoon’s abrasive ability to destroy shorts, but the Knife just seems ‘right’.

bspoked
    Free Member

Fizik Aliante XM

Transformed my bike 4 years ago. Gutted when I smashed it to bits in a crash a few weeks ago, but have managed to bend the manganese back into the carcass for now.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Fizik Tundra 2.

Completely by chance, from demoing a bike with one on.

My only previous experience of Fizik was being violated by a Gobi. Tried a few Charges & they felt ok to start with, then gave me ass ache. SDG just creaked like crazy so drove me up the wall, and wern’t very comfortable either.

cp

Always find saddle reviews and other people’s opinions on them fairly pointless.

trial and error unfortunately…

lunge

Flite Ti, I have one on all my bikes bar 1, that will get one when I find one cheap enough.

AlexSimon

Fizik Gobi

qwerty
    Free Member

Flite Ti Alpes but due to availability currently opted for Fizik Gobi wing flex.

corroded
    Free Member

I went from a Fizik Arione (good) to a Spesh Toupe (great) to a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow (brilliant). All my bikes now have the Selle saddle – they’re not light but I don’t have any discomfort at all during long MTB rides or road centuries. But note that I didn’t fine my perfect saddle after a bit of trial and error.

devash
    Free Member

Bel Air Cro-Mo. Just seems to fit my bum really well with the right amount of give. Looks good too.

robdob
    Free Member

If anyone has a Bel-Air which is ok apart from the cover wearing through (so rails and foam and plastic bits ok) please let me have it! I am trying to find another one to re-cover in real leather. I could pay postage etc.
    I’ve done one but it wasn’t perfect so I’d like to keep trying!

endurokid
    Free Member

Charge Spoon or SDG bBl Air, but I prefer the spoon as it has a lower profile.

I have this on both my bikes, and a bargian price too (if you can still find one!)

isto
    Free Member

My most comfy was a Charge Stool which I think was a meant to be a dirt saddle….think I just liked the look of it.

Just ordered a new Spoon yesterday so there’s definitely still stock out there.

spacehopper

Old School Selle San Marco Concor Light…

The new version is ok… but its not a patch on the old one.. which is getting harder and harder to find without garish prints… 😯

the-muffin-man

1970s Raleigh chopper saddle – so versatile!

ton

a wide specialized alium?? or something similar.
    it is on my parkwood now, it has been repaired twice with bits of inner tube and glue.
    love it to bits, and loathe to sling it.
    they don’t make it anymore….. 🙁

ninfan
    Free Member

Wtb SST, the proper gonzo ones

Though once I broke in the brooks on my mtb I’ve not looked back

stevied
    Free Member

Very pleased with my Prologo X Zero2. Much nicer than the Spoon, Flite etc saddles I’ve had in the past. Ti rails and weighs in about 220g’s..cost about £40 from CRC

jimw
    Free Member

Fizik Gobi XM, the marmite saddle. I am fortunate that it fits me perfectly.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Another flite user here, I’ve tried other saddles – WTB, Prologo, plus another few and the flite saddles just work for me.

using 3 at the moment

Original Flite Transalp
    Flite Kit Carbnonio
    SLR C64 (although not technically a flite, its much the same shape)

Nobby

One that fits.

Any saddle the correct width & profile for me is comfortable all day.

turboferret

At one extreme of the price scale I have a Dash TT.9 on my tri bike

at the other end a Chinese eBay special on my road bike

Despite only costing about £20 it’s super light and having zero padding it’s much more comfortable than any other saddle I’ve used.

In the middle are Selle Italia SLRs on all my other bikes.

Cheers, Rich

tootallpaul

It was the SDG Bel Air, recently overtaken by the Brooks Cambium.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Despite only costing about £20 it’s super light and having zero padding it’s much more comfortable than any other saddle I’ve used.

Yes the C64 is also surprisingly comfortable for a sheet of carbon fibre.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Prologo Nago Pas, the old shape. Sadly no longer made, so I’m buying up all the ones that appear on eBay 🙂

schmiken

Having found saddle nirvana a few years ago with the Fizik Aliante, the best saddle I’ve ever owned (and now have two on various bikes is the Fizik Aliante Carbon Braided. Phenomenal, just frighteningly expensive!

bikecrack
    Free Member

Fizik Aliante XM

Transformed my bike 4 years ago. Gutted when I smashed it to bits in a crash a few weeks ago, but have managed to bend the manganese back into the carcass for now.

Fizik Aliante XM – this is a perfect seat. 5 years riding with her and I am very pleased

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What is the best saddle you've ever owned?’ is closed to new replies.