Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • What is a woman ?
  • DrJ

Non-tautological answers, please.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

What Is a Woman? is a 2022 American online film about gender and transgender issues presented by conservative political commentator Matt Walsh.

ads678

You’re a doctor, you tell us!

{I’m pretty sure I’ve seen you state you are not actually a doctor and i’m just kidding}

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s a trap.

mattyfez

According to Bob Marley, a woman is a person who doesn’t cry.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Somebody to whom an ex-Beatle could hardly explain his mixed emotions at his thoughtlessness.

Do I win?

Thought I’d get in before the flounces/bans etc

finbar
    Free Member

I’m reminded of the classic misheard Bee Gees lyric, “four letter woman”.

beej

No, that’s a no woman.

DrJ

It’s a trap.

We must know the same women.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wolfmother had this whole self identity thing nailed in their opening line.

“Woman, you know you’re woman”

IHN

This is an excellent listen

Sarah Keyworth – Are You a Boy or a Girl?

colournoise

Nope, pretty sure that’s Boys according to Robert Smith…

verses

It’s a trap.

I see you’re an acquaintance of Louise.

hatter

Apparently it’s whatever Shania Twain feels like.

davros

A giant old girl baby

easily
    Free Member

Isla Bryson, according to the SNP

bruneep

I want to be a woman. –

– It’s my right as a man.

Drac

Nope, pretty sure that’s Boys according to Robert Smith…

That’s pimps.

alan1977
    Free Member

isn’t the clue in the name?  womb-man?

fasgadh
    Free Member

You seem to have got your mother in a whirl.

matt_outandabout

I’m reminded of the classic misheard Bee Gees lyric, “four letter woman”.

So Louise isn’t a woman?

argee

Probably best to ask what is a female, it has been defined more over the years.

With the upcoming arguments on this thread, can i just be first to say i blame Keir Starmer?

Edukator
    Free Member

I used to be confident about answering that question but since an STW editorial piece I’ve realised that some people think men are women if they decide to be so I have no definitive answer. Don’t want to tread on any toes.

somafunk
    doomanic

17 pages, three flounces and at least one ban.

theotherjonv

Why did you answer then if not to ‘tread on toes’?

ernielynch

In answer to the OP’s question, I’m not entirely sure, but luckily thanks to the Labour Shadow Health Secretary I now know the difference men and women:

“Men have penises, women have vaginas, here ends my biology lesson.”

Wes Streeting

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/wes-streeting-trans-rights-women-penis-b2047117.html

BruceWee

Whatever the answer is, asking the Section 28 generation is not going to produce a sensible answer.  But you knew that already, didn’t you?

Why not go talk to some young people (particularly young women) who have a far better handle on all this than most members of this forum.

bails

Ernie, is Wes being (accidentally?) fairly progressive there? By his logic, once someone has transitioned and had corresponding surgery then they are the gender they transitioned to.  A woman who ‘FtM’ transitions and has surgery is a man. Admittedly it does rely on surgery as well, but it’s a start

funkmasterp

I think Bob was inferring that women make men cry. A lack of woman means no crying. Therefore I conclude that a woman is somebody or something that makes men cry. By this logic the movies ET and Watership Down are women.

theotherjonv

I always interpreted ‘No woman, no cry’ to be an instruction – ‘don’t cry’

funkmasterp

In all seriousness No Woman, No Cry is best summed up, in my opinion, by The Wailers bass player

In the song, Marley mentions the Government Yards of Trench Town, a public housing project in Kingston where he grew up. The lyrics also include references to cornmeal porridge, a popular breakfast in Jamaica.

Wailers bassist Aston ‘Family Man’ Barrett told NME in 2012: “The song is about the strength in the mama of course, strength in the ladies. And we love a woman with a backbone. Something like a wishbone!

“They have to be like a she lion! Woman strong, you know, not depending on the man. Of course the man is there to help you, then for every successful man, there is a good woman.”

kimbers

before it gets too transphobic in here, remember that bigotry has consequences

Screenshot_20240207-190226

funkmasterp

Scarlet and the unnamed person in whatever that is ^^ are a right pair of despicable bastards.

cheese@4p

A woman is a female. adult, human.

Edukator
    Free Member

Because what ever answer I gave other than no definitve answer I would be treading on someone’s toes. On some subjects: Brexit, Putin, Trump, climate sceptics… I’ll happily express an opinion and jump on toes in ski boots with Simond Makalu crampons if people disagree. Gender – treat people as you’d hope to be treated yourself.

ernielynch

before it gets too transphobic in here, remember that bigotry has consequences

Sure, and it is very important to point that out. But I can’t see anything posted so far which could be seen like that. It’s mostly references to songs and a recognition that definitions have become more blurred in recent times.

Nothing wrong with that – everyone has the right to be themselves, and if they want, different.

Doesn’t talking about it freely and not treating as a taboo subject help to guarantee that it is accepted?

mattyfez

To be fair, I only made the Bob Marley reference as a toungue in cheek comment meant in good spirit.

Nothing wrong with that – everyone has the right to be themselves and if they want, different.

Fully agree with that @ernielynch

The most worrying ting about these kind of conversations it other dictating how others ought to think.

alpin
    Free Member

Is this a reference to Sunak’s comments in parliament whilst Brian na Ghey’s mother was also in the commons?

Yeah, Rishi is a ****.

funkmasterp

I think that’s how it was taken

Edit – mattyfez/Bob Marley

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘What is a woman ?’ is closed to new replies.