Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What internet?
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I currently have BT broadband which is £24 a month and then we have to pay line rental on top so works out quite expensive. we got an internet phone with this package for free calls however it hardly ever works and i’m sick of phoning BT and wasting my life away trying to get it fixed.

Was just looking at the Talk Talk deal £17 ish a month for the same as what we get now. Anyone got Talk Talk? How do you find it?

Or can you recommend somewhere else that’s better and cheaper? Sick of getting ripped off. Thanks.

macmclaren
    Free Member

Ive got a Virgin package, now it requires cable put into the house but there is no BT line rental rubbish. The broadband is super-fast and the telly package is ace. There are so many Catch-up programs and films at the click of a button.

I dont do the sports or film package but im on the premium.

£44 a month. Phone (unlimited) to other landlines. 5 Meg Broadband and Telly

I looked around for ages but i couldnt better that deal.

jazzpootle
    Free Member

we get talk talk – apart from customer service they’re great. No download limit and I have seen actual download speeds of 1Mb per second. It does the job nicely and we’ve been with them for a few years now.

jazzpootle
    Free Member

macmclaren – I almost went for Virgin about 6 months ago; in fact they almost installed it at one point. They dug up the road and tied a bit of rope to my fence and then nothing. I’ve contacted them so many times and I get BS from them. Their customer service is shocking and I am still waiting for them to return the initial £75 I paid out for the V-box. I too fancied the nice package they were offering but I have stuck with freeview for now. Having done a few searched online, there appear to be many people suffering at the hands of Virgin’s incompetence.

macmclaren
    Free Member

jazz thats unlucky mate, they have been nothing but great to us. Guess it depends on who u deal with at their poxy call-centres.

I didnt go for the V-Box cos i heard a lot of stories from mates about them crashing all the time but they have apparently sorted that with the next generation boxes.

Just hunt around and also phone the companies sales centres. Sometimes they do cracking deals on the phone if u haggle with them, just be really necky its amazing what u can get them down to.

SirJonLordofBike
    Free Member

I had Talk Talk, it was a T O T A L nightmare, no service whatsoever for 3 months as in they broke my telephone line and I was never ever not once connected to the internet, easily sorted? ha, I spent several hours queing in frustration on the telephone sysytem to speak to someone and frequently I’d give up without speaking to anyone, othertimes you’d speak to an imbecile and nothing happened, emailed customer services loads of times too, and received no response whatsoever. In the end the only way i could sort it was by making an official complaint to offcom, then suddenly got a call from the chief execs office, still loads of hassle though and took over a year of hassle with credit control errors too. Nightmare and mine was not an isolated experience, google “talk talk”, Tiscali also have similar service problems. I ended up paying for a service “plusnet”, and im happier could be improved but way better than the cheap services.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Virgin.. Excellent.

twang
    Free Member

Virgin customer service is non existent. However, their incompetence worked in my favour when I cancelled my contract because I still get broadband, free, for nowt…winner!! 😀 (shhh)

TinMan
    Free Member

I switched to Post Office last month. No drama’s at all, unlike switching to Virgin previously.

£19.99 p/m for Line Rental, <8mb broadband and free evening & weekend calls.
    Recommended by someone else on here.

Was paying BT for line rental £14p/m, Virgin for Broadband £15p/m, +virgin for out of package calls ~£5-8p/m

cynic-al
    Free Member

Orange via mobile here, bargaineous.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Virgin (or NTL as the were) were fine in my old house as we had the cable installed when they first came around pitching their service. However, when we moved and asked them to hook up the new house, they were hopeless. I eventually got someone who told me that they don’t do any new cable lays anymore but they’re not supposed to admit to it. Who knows if that’s true but it explains a lot if it is!

We’ve been with Newnet for a while. It’s about £17 a month on top of line rental through BT and they have a 12G limit each month. However, while their service is fantastic, they no longer seem to be offering a competitive service so we’re in the process of giving O2 a try.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We pay 12 pound per month for 16mb speeds with O2 + BT line rental. Get an extra discount because of having a mobile with them.

Used to be with Orange and O2 are much better, setup was painless and they text you to tell you what stage they’re at, they have UK support with a freephone number. Our Orange line used to drop fairly reguarly, no problems with O2 (except for some dodginess with watching iplayer clips on the bbc website but that was thomson router related and is sorted now)

I eventually got someone who told me that they don’t do any new cable lays anymore but they’re not supposed to admit to it. Who knows if that’s true but it explains a lot if it is!

NTL/Virgin told us that we couldn’t get cable because it was now the housebuilders responsibility to install it when they build it – building was built in 1895!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What internet?’ is closed to new replies.