Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • What have we dug up?
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

ads678 – assume they cap them for safety? In which case, nerdily interested to know why the hole in top, assume to prevent any gas build up?

Stop stuff getting in, I have lifted a family of newts out a ground water borehole missing a tap before. Pulled out the bailer sampler and there were three newts staring out at me.

The hole at the top is for gas monitoring fitted with a tap you keep it sealed and fit the monitor. At least that’s all I have ever used it for. You might feasibly get the dip meter in, big tape measure with a sensor at the end tells you where the water level is. You would also get a narrow bore water sampler in.

I think generally, Adam would confirm, they all pretty much get the same cap for convenience.

I have only ever used them for water quality monitoring.

avdave2

You could see if it is on the BGS borehole map – BGS

And there’s another day lost 😂

robola

If you need help I’m sure there is a boreholes anonymous group near you to provide support with your addiction. 😉

northernsoul

Yes, it’s quite fascinating to see what’s in your area. Around me (Co. Durham) you can see where former pits were because there are clusters of holes with confidential data on the depth (the black dots), and lines where surveying was done for roads (bypasses) that were never built.

pictonroad

Well, despite having just managed about £3.5m of ground investigation I didn’t recognise that as a borehole! The ones I get to see are a bit ‘neater’ than that. (I’d probably complain tbh)

Still think it’s a homemade washing line holder from an old borehole cap. 😉

robola

surveying was done for roads (bypasses) that were never built.

I was going to say that but was slightly worried I might be labelled as a bit dull…

I did once discuss a prospective building plot with somebody who was thinking of selling a bit of garden. He was telling me how great the ground was for foundations as his house was built on bedrock. By chance (or was it?) there were a couple of very old boreholes nearby. Indeed his house was clearly built on a nice outcrop, just 20 or 30 metres away it was a load of crappy rubble and shale.

ads678

I think generally, Adam would confirm, they all pretty much get the same cap for convenience.

I think Josh is right, they all have pretty much the same type of cap, just different sizes, as some have multiple actual BH’s under the cap.

Killer
    Free Member

This was found in Stapleford between Derby and Nottingham. Now hunting through the map to see if its mapped

Killer
    Free Member

Well can’t find it on the BGS map. so maybe its even older? or back to the clandestine sausage mounts division

joshvegas
    Free Member

Boar hole sausages

joshvegas
    Free Member

Killer if you search NL’s side by side maps you might get an idea of what was nearby previously. I think it’s near the Attenborough nature resever? Probably exploring for gravel deposits.

Word of warning though.. if you though the bags viewer was distracting…

ads678

@killer – I’ve just checked on the EA mapping and I can see 2 BH’s near Stapleford. If you PM me with a more accurate location I’ll see if any of them are yours. Actually I’ll PM you with the rough locations i’ve found.

I don’t deal with that area so don;t know who the contact is, but if it is one of those it might be worth contacting the EA to see if they can do anything about it.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.