• This topic has 41 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by wl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What happened to Bikeradar's Alpine 6 review?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Earlier in the week Several Stott posted a review of the Alpine 6 on Bikeradar, and gave it a pretty low rating.

Now… It’s gone.

Anyone know what happened to the review?

Cheers

Ricks

teethgrinder

Trousered?

orena45
    km79
    Free Member

Maybe there is an advert due or something.

kimbers

Ouch, in a world where every bike gets 4-5 star reviews….

tomhoward

Says it was published in what Mtb though?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Given I dislike how the Alpine 160 feels on the granny (ie. with chainline below pivot) I did wonder when I saw one of these in the shop a ‘Degla how it would ride (other than, badly).

Northwind

“74.5-degree effective seat angle is pretty slack” Really?

Don’t remember seeing that review in the mag but it’s either an old review or a very long term one, the pic is from the kinlochleven enduro last november.

legend
    Free Member

How much does it cost to get a shit review taken down?

Wookster

I read that review in what MTB recently, month before the last issue I think.

igm

He’s described how my 2011 Alpine 160 felt. Right up to the point where I put a large volume spacer in the shock.
    There’s bits of that review that don’t add up. A higher pivot should make it handle square edged bumps better and the effect of chain growth / pedal feedback should also help.
    But what do I know?

chestrockwell

I didn’t think the pivot was higher? Wasn’t the big thing with doing away with the front mech the ability to put the pivot lower and nearer the bb and seat post?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I didn’t think the pivot was higher

it’s much higher. On an Alpine 160 the pivot is in line with the chain on a 32T ring presumably deliberately in order to eliminate chain/pedal feedback on the most popular size front ring).

igm

My 160 is running 3×10.
    OK I’m a deviant, but it is s bike that absolutely comes alive with s wide selection of gears.

leeerm
    Free Member

I’ve never understood why they (Orange) don’t incorporate a high idler on the bigger bikes, especially now they are committing to 1x set ups .

I remember seeing a few 224’s at races back in the day with idlers retrofitted.

mkeyg
    Free Member

I’ve got an alpine 6 rs and it is incredible. Not sure why It got a poor review. Was never interested in an orange but thought i’d try one at a free demo day and loved it. Maybe it got a poor review because they didn’t hand over the brown envelope like most other average bikes that get bizarrely good reviews…..Or maybe they have paid it now and that’s why it got took down!

Demo bikes don’t go off magazine reviews

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nice to see its “taught under power”.

mildred

74.5 degree seat angle is roadbike steep.

Several reviews of the previous version (Alpine 160) pinpointed the Rockshox Monarch as being to blame for poor rear performance. The “wallowing under seated climbing” & “highly sagged” suspension setup support this. The sensation of chain growth will be exaggerated by poorly setup suspension.

I swapped the rockshox on mine to a CCDBAIR and it’s bloody marvellous. Climbs well, descends quicker than my old 224; what’s not to like – its mint..!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Seb knows what he’s talking about but also knows very much what he likes, and that’s very very long very very slack bikes. He’s also not keen on the suspension of Oranges – he told me to get a Transition Patrol over a Five (and stick an angleset in it, obviously) and he was right.

Certainly isn’t affected by brown envelopes, he’s not keen on most “normal” modern bikes!

Also it’s a 2.5 rating, which means it’s average. Not a total dud.

larrydavid
    Free Member

Even steeper than most – in the 50-52cm plus range.

Bez

Maybe you’re at the opposite end of the height range to me, but every road bike I’ve had has had a slacker seat angle (72-72.5) than every mountain bike I’ve had (73+).

julians
    Free Member

Id been looking for online professional (ie not written by an owner) reviews of thr alpine 6,couldnt really find any apart from a few ‘first looks’ last year.

Thought it was odd there werent any. Maybe it because its not too good. It looks great on paper,but unless some other reviews appear giving it top marks i think i can scratch it off my shortlist

fanatic278
    Free Member

It’s back up now: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/orange-alpine-6-s-review-51294/

Editor’s note: The original review of this bike was temporarily taken offline on 11 June following a discussion between BikeRadar testers who, having ridden the bike, held different opinions on its performance. This revised review more accurately reflects the findings of our test team as a whole.

The review doesn’t look at first glance to be much different. It has gained half a star.

mkeyg
    Free Member

How can bike radar give the 2017 orange 5 a rave review where they talk about how good the single pivot suspension is all the way through then criticise the alpine 6 for the exact same suspension design and shock location?

wrecker
    Free Member

Editor’s note: The original review of this bike was temporarily taken offline on 11 June following a discussion between BikeRadar testers who, having ridden the bike, held different opinions on its performance. This revised review more accurately reflects the findings of our test team as a whole.

*POOF* There goes what little credibility bike radar ever had regarding reviews.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Different pivot location, shock tune, intended use, shock spec…

BadlyWiredDog

*POOF* There goes what little credibility bike radar ever had regarding reviews.

Yeah, it does seem poor that they’re trying to present a balanced view of a bike based on more than one tester’s impressions.

chakaping
    Free Member

mkeyg » How can bike radar give the 2017 orange 5 a rave review where they talk about how good the single pivot suspension is all the way through then criticise the alpine 6 for the exact same suspension design and shock location?

Different pivot location, shock tune, intended use, shock spec…

And of course a different reviewer.

Some people seem to click with Oranges and some don’t, eh?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Indeed. And I don’t think Seb is a particular fan of how they ride.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think anyone would be nuts to buy one untested, considering how easy it is to demo them and how un-cheap they are.

mkeyg
    Free Member

Some people seem to click with Oranges and some don’t, eh?

That’s my point tbh. Demo bikes and make your own minds up. It’s not rocket science. People put too Much stock in what magazine reviews say. Sheep

chakaping
    Free Member

Alpine 6 got 3.5 stars in the MBUK that I was just leafing through.

Identified similar issues with the suspension, but reviewer not named.

Just for the record, like.

dragon
    Free Member

Do Orange realise that it’s 2017 and suspension has moved on since the original Proflex designs?

ads678

Indeed. And I don’t think Seb is a particular fan of how they ride.

I don’t understand how someone with such views could be an independent tester/reviewer if they aren’t open minded enough to be unbiased from the off???

If he doesn’t like a particular bike why is he reviewing it? I’m not saying the reviewer should be a brand fanboi, but they should at least be neutral.

I’m not an orange fanboi btw, I can’t afford to be!!

mkeyg
    Free Member

The best person to review a bike is yourself. Look at what and where you ride, decide on your budget and what sort of style bike your after (travel etc) and get out and do some demo days and buy the one that you like best.

Wasn’t long ago bike mags were telling us how good 29ers are, then when everyone bought them the next thing they pushed were 27.5 then enduro. Now enduro bikes are too long travel so we should all be riding shorter travel bikes, and plus size. It’s hilarious! Won’t be long till the next big thing will be 26 inch wheels again!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Am I first to say filed away?

warpcow
    Free Member

dragon – Member
    Do Orange realise that it’s 2017 and suspension has moved on since the original Proflex designs?

You do realise they’re not remotely the same design, right (though you’re quite right, no one seems to use mac struts for bikes these days apart from the occasional BSO)?

chakaping
    Free Member

I reckon Dragon should ring them up to let them know.

Northwind

mkeyg – Member

Wasn’t long ago bike mags were telling us how good 29ers are, then when everyone bought them the next thing they pushed were 27.5 then enduro. Now enduro bikes are too long travel so we should all be riding shorter travel bikes, and plus size.

I literally just finished reading a MBUK review last night in which the Trek Slash won hands down- a massive long travel 29er. I don’t see what you’re seeing. There was certainly no “27.5 then enduro”- as if it’s 2 different things. And they’ve not moved away from enduro bikes at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What happened to Bikeradar's Alpine 6 review?’ is closed to new replies.