Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What grease for speedplay pedals?
  • silasgreenback

If you’re using old skool speedplays what grease are you using?

I’ve been using Weldtite TF2 but recently pedals have been clicky with TF2 regrease not curing it. One set of pedals wont hold grease and forces it out of the axle when rotating.

Read a few other forums and clickyness mainly goes away with regreasing but i’m finding less so with the TF2 greaese.

One set has 15k mls and 5 yrs so cant complain if bearings fubar’d. Other set was 2nd hand so unknownlife.

Bike shop recommended slick honey. But it seems a lot thinner than the TF2 and is twice the price! SRAM butter i think was the other one they’d recommend.

Anything better? Or is the TF2 good enough?

james-rennie

I’ve got old speedplay frogs, they open up easily to check/replace bearings and seals. There are replacement bearing sets available on ebay too.

coatesy
    Free Member

Always used Silkolene RG2 on mine, good grease and no “bike tax” on the price. If you open them up, you’ll find the cartridge bearing is shielded, so isn’t going to get much grease, if any, into it. If you put new bearings in, open ones seem to make far more sense to me.

silasgreenback

Thanks for the heads up on that. Replacement bearings ordered and will give the silkolene a try.

When i pedal the TF2 seems to flow straight out of the pedal thats clicking. but i guess thats a sign of something amiss inside. Hope i dont find the spindle knacked when it get it apart!

Wally

Silkolene RG2 on mine, good grease 2nded here.

Wally

Have you tried buying speedplay frog cleats ? Good luck.

silasgreenback

@coatesy

What gun to you use to inject that grease? Just looking at some of the mini guns and cant work out whether they need a cartridge of whether you can fill the cartridge they come with!

silasgreenback

Scratch that. Sorry!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.