Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • what gloves have great grip but keep hands toasty warm ( slippage problems)
  • kaiser
    Free Member

been using the aldi special winter glove and while great value i am finding the grip to be a little poor and rather slippery particularly on the brake levers which is a bit alarming when the going gets rough. this is , i believe , partially due to the double layered lining moving about in relation to the outer.
    anyone found a real good gripper that’ll also stop the frostbite?
    thanks in advance
    Bill

joemarshall
    Free Member

Normal grippy gloves, liner glove (thin one from outdoors shop).

Works just fine.

ton

wot he said^

extremities velo
    cheap silk liner

julianwilson
    Free Member

depends how cold your hands get. Fox antifreeze gloves are stoopidly hot for me wearing both inners and outers, and rather a lot more expensive than the aldi gloves, but not too much sliding about and great proper leather palm.

finners

i really like the sealskin mountainbike glove. had a few pairs and cant fault them….

Frankers
    Free Member

Sealskinz are good when it’s really cold but for around Zero to 10deg I wear CHIBA (German) gloves

These or These

I’m normally a medium but have to take a large in these

Blackhound

I always get cold hands in winter – 2 miles can have me struggling.

This week I have been fine with these Craft split finger gloves from always riding which seem quite grippy too:

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=635&cPath=146_113&go_read=1&zenid=fdkm8s3e1jsuv78d633hqq5u53#BPRWrapper

Frankers
    Free Member

Chiba also available from

Merlin

Grimy
    Free Member

I bought some chiba drystar waterproof gloves from Merlin recently with the weather getting a little cooler. They really are a very nice glove, and phenominal value for money for the high quality compared to some of the others I tried on at the local Evens cycles at twice the price.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Apparel/Unisex/Winter+Gloves/Chiba+Drystar+Waterproof+Gloves_52312100.htm

German brand, nicely built, good for -10 but so far only tested to -4 and pleanty warm. The palm side of the fingers are constructed with something ze germans call digital carbon fiber? whatever, but its very grippy! Liners are stiched in solid and dont pull out when you remove the glove, and they’re not to bulky. Warm yet breathable. I know people tend to rate whatever they own highly, but these really do get a 10 out of 10 from me. Theres nothing i’d change. Have a look at the chiba website below.

http://www.chiba.de/2009/eb1.php?Eb1Id=303

http://www.chiba.de/2009/katalog/katalog.php?KatId=24#/8

andrewh
    Free Member

Got mild Reyaunds, just ordered some electrically heated gloves to go with my new MW80 winter boots. Gortex overshoes next. Hopefully a comfier winter this time. Not cheap so hopefully worth it!

Kevevs
    Free Member

nice slim, tight fitting wool glove surrounded by a black marigold (you can get ’em in supermarkets). grippy as it gets.

You didn’t say anything about sweaty, cool or sexy!

Northwind

Still a big fan of the Fox Antifreezes, they have a pittards palm so nicely grippy but they’re very warm despite the lack of bulk. They just feel like slightly thicker regular gloves. The only gloves I’ve worn that were warmer are my winter motorbike gloves and they’re just a tad bulkier (I’m vaguely aware of the fact that there might be bars in my hands when wearing those, but that’s about it for feel)

kaiser
    Free Member

thanks guys ..some good ideas there.
    now ..what about the feet ! ( yesterday 2 pairs cheap merino socks and pair of mt90’s + still blooming cold )

Blackhound

For my feet so far this winter it has been 2 pairs of merino socks, some regular shoes and some planet x over shoes which have been fine. I do have some Shimano boots but not used them yet.

Rapha are doing 3 pairs of thin merino socks for £30 which work well as one of the layers and something thicker on top.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I would suggest anything with a pittards leather palm. I have some Pearl Izumi ones (which are thin but warm once you get going) and they are the grippiest gloves i have ever used. They seem even more grippy when they get wet too.

The Fox anti freeze sound good – might have to add some to my Christmas list 🙂

Northwind

matthewlhome – Member

“The Fox anti freeze sound good – might have to add some to my Christmas list”

Only criticism I have of them is that they’re a 2-part glove, which is a wee bit fiddly. But then you can use just the outer glove if you want on a less hot day so that’s a swings and roundabouts thing. When you’re using the complete glove it’d be a wee bit simpler if they were sewn together.

superfli
    Free Member

My hands get cold within a few miles of my house with the Fox Antifreeze (shame as they look and feel great), so it really does depend on how well your hands stay warm in the cold weather. Anything around 0C+below and I have to wear an old pair of M/bike gloves that havent really got enough protection for a m/bike, but are just about wearable on the pushbike
    http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/shop/IXS-TWO-IN-ONE-GLOVE/111111.aspx

HeatherBash
    Free Member

mtfu dude. bare handed is the way forward

superhondaman
    Free Member

get some neoprene 2.5 sailing/windsurfing gloves from Decathlon £14.99 totally water/wind proof and really good grip. Available on line i think

colin27
    Free Member

Gore Phantom gloves are ace – totally windproof, very water resistant and fleece lined they’re all I need. For something really warm, how about Gore Countdown’s or Sealskinz Extra Cold? Primaloft for insulation and both waterproof.

If you really struggle with cold feet the Lakw MXZ323 (or something like that) is hard to beat. Amazingly warm and waterproof when used with a good merino sock or similar. Combine with good bib tights so no more cold feet.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘what gloves have great grip but keep hands toasty warm ( slippage problems)’ is closed to new replies.