Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What Frame? XS 12/13″ Frame for 26″ Wheel Build (Kids)
  • johnski15
    Free Member

My oldest son is 10 soon and is on the way off his 24″ Wheeler to the dizzy heights of a 26er….

I’ll be building the bike, but was interested in:

What light, extra small 12/13″, well cable managed frame to use – it will be a 1 x 10 and may have rigid carbon forks to lower weight until he’s strong enough for front sus.

What have you used / what would you recommend?

Ideally not a 4x bike or DJ, as I’d thought of a Nukeproof Snap, however the reach on those bikes is still very long.

Cheers,

John

alanl
    Free Member

I’ve got a Commencal Normal frame for £10. Seat tube is 14″ centre to top. My GF had it, and it was a little small for her at 5’2″
    Pic here (obviously built up):
    http://www.maydavid.co.uk/images/commencal/P1010323.JPG

blairc70
    Free Member

Pre owned Specialized hard rock, light with low standover, running with 1*10,some old rockshox I had and a collection of the best of my old stuff. Even got him on the spanners to help me. If you wanted new, did see some cube 14″ frames on bike discount ( Germany ) not sure on the geometry but might be worth a look.

Speshpaul

bike discount.de often have some good deals on cubes.
    But Alanl’s Commy looks nice

honourablegeorge

+1 on Bike Discount, friend got a lovely wee Cube HT recently

docrobster
    Free Member

Where are you op?
    I’ve 2 in the shed. In Sheffield
    One is a handsome dog Ali job from the mid 90s. 13 inch and ideal with a short carbon fork. 11/8 headset disk or can’t brakes.
    Other is an unidentifiable jump frame.
    Free to a good home both of them.

backinireland
    Free Member

Cubes on bike discount appear to be 27.5

carlosg
    Free Member

My son and I built up an XS Spesh Hard rock frame last year . Paid £20 for the frame but luckily had nearly everything else in my spares box (a further £35 on seat post/chain/cables) the bike is about 23lb but due to some really nice bits on it he has to use a cheap BMX for school.

dai3015
    Free Member

Keeping an eye on this thread as am also looking for an xs frame that I can build up for my 5’1 wife which will also be of use for my growing 8 year old son

cheers

TomB

My lad’s BikeDiscount cube frame is 27.5, but works fine with 26″ wheels and an old Reba in 26″ flavour. Cost about €80 if I remember rightly..

here’s old thread with pics: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/another-kids-bike-build/

backinireland
    Free Member

Interested in the commencal

TheGhost
    Free Member

My son is on a Nukeproof snap that I built him when he was nine. Doesn’t seem too long. I started with a 50mm stem and now he’s on a 70mm aged 11. He is quite tall though.

johnski15
    Free Member

Superb responses – Many thanks!!

Love the cube frame on: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/another-kids-bike-build

Any chance of a link directly to the frame?

docrobster 
    Incidentally, I live in Doncaster – would you email me a photo or 2 of the frames? johnski15 at g mail dot com

Thanks mate,

John

johnski15
    Free Member

Some bargains to be had at sizes 13.5″ and 14″

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/cube-frame/frame_size-14%22.13%2C5%22

MoreCashThanDash

My (now) 11year daughter is on an XS Commencal Normal frame – had a thread and pic on here last year about it but not sure how to link to it with new forum/my phone. Think I called it “the bike stw built” – a lot of folks on here were very generous with old 26″ parts they had knocking about.

paladin

Just bought a 14″ blue pig for my lad, he should fit it by the time we’ve built it. Decided i better get prepared after i caught him riding my 16″ 456.

Will likely be a hefty jump weight-wise from his 24″ wheeled hoy bonaly.

jkomo

I’ve kept my old bikes for my boys, the Trance 2009 x4 is great, it came with Reba’s, is very light and has a super low stand over height.

stevextc
    Free Member

I don’t understand why you are looking specifically for a 26er frame ???

Do you already have the wheels and forks?  Or are you planning on using 24″ wheels?

A XS 650B frame will be smaller and lighter than a XS 26er frame.  (A 650B frame with 26″ wheels will be smaller than a 26″ frame with 26″ wheels).

wukfit
    Free Member
    johnski15
    Free Member

Good Spot!!

monkeyboyjc

I’ve ended up buying a cube frame (the cheapest girls one) from bike-discount for my daughters bike, along with some other matching cube bits. Bike-discount charge a fair wack for postage on bulky items so a 70 euro frame ends up being over 100 so I ended up getting about half the bike from there.

Building it with 27.5 wheels as it’s a tiny frame and she’s 11 and 5’4″ ish. Carbon ridgid 15mn bolt through fork and a 1×10 deore drive train and Clarkes brakes.

Full build is working out at 400 – 450ish Inc postage at a guess – with the only 2nd hand parts being chainset (from stw), shifter and cassette from my spares.

Went ridgid as I don’t see the point in 50quid 3kg Suntour forks with heavy springs for a kids bike.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What Frame? XS 12/13″ Frame for 26″ Wheel Build (Kids)’ is closed to new replies.