• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What folding saw
  • bikerevivesheffield

For tree emergencies and den building with the kids?

Thinking bahco

noneoftheabove
    Free Member

Probably not what you are really looking for, but I bought a 12v reciprocating saw recently and it’s brilliant for anything that isn’t large enough to need a proper chainsaw.

bikerevivesheffield

Bit big with the kids

binman

Bahco 😁 Laplander

windyg
    Free Member

Silky F180 nice size and lightweight

singletrackmind

Silky folder, about 150cn blade

bikesandboots

Bahco Laplander isn’t much compromise in use, but it’s a bit bulky to carry just in case needed. As such I’ll only take mine on my next pass of the trail if I know something’s down or sticking out.

sirromj

I have some folding saw like those silky saws already mentioned, from Amazon. Plastic orange handle, weighs next to nothing and bitey sharp teeth that chew through those small annoying branches easily.

mudfish

Look at the CEuk “Noble 180” folder. Seems just as good as a Silky and sold by a real nice helpful guy.

The Trojan 330 curved and 360 straight with pull cut are great too. I use mine often trail clearing. Cut some pretty fat logs   Some say think of them as a silent chainsaw.
    IMG_6711

mattbee

Silky Pocketboy.

slowol

Bahco Laplander here. Works well, not heavy to carry, can cut down branches up to quite big. Easy to use when you’ve had to climb the tree to prune it too.

Silky may be nicer but much more ££

b33k34

Bahco Laplander isn’t much compromise in use, but it’s a bit bulky to carry just in case needed

really?  They’re reasonably well made, and you can get replacement blades for them but theres nothing smaller thats’ actually any use.  One advantage over the Noble is that the teeth are fully covered when folded (if a saws stuffed in a bag that you also stuff clothing in this matters!

The Silky do seem to cut better than anything else I’ve used and the shape and length of the handle means they’re much easier to use upside down that most others (if you’re cutting fallen trees often need to cut at least part from underneath to stop binding) and you can use them two handed.

I’d also go with carry the biggest saw you can fit in your bag as much quicker in use and deals with larger falls.  The BigBoy2000 360 blade is superb, the Gomboy Curve 210 seems more fragile (we’ve snapped the tip off two blades now)

I own all 3.  Carry the bigboy on most rides as it doesn’t weigh that much more and it’s so much more effective.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Silky here. Can’t remember which one but the blade is about 20 cm long. The only issue I have with it is that the blade release is right where I want to put my hand when sawing. So it can fold up unexpectedly. But it does cut extremely well.

Northwind

I have a wee Bahco laplander but tbh I don’t rate it, it’s just that little bit too small imo and yet still not actually all that small to carry. There’s a sort of “minimum bulkiness” involved, I reckon that once you’ve got the bulk of the Laplander in your bag you might as well have it be an inch or two longer, it makes really little difference to carry but it makes a ton of difference to use.

THese are surprisingly good, they rip wet wood really well. I have the size medium (I’m pretty sure the sizes are marked up wrong, I think the measurement that’s shown as sort of “blade + a bit” is actually the cutting size). It’s, like, 25% bigger than the Laplander at a guess but I’ve found it way more useful.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386832081347?itmmeta=01HVY7GJVY3M19B590QTXGDQSY&hash=item5a10fd21c3:g:y3MAAOSw3ppl5Xvy&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0Exvj5OOEy7wUHnBi3us1wRlWSokvf5Se%2B8IaeGJXMTqbwkJp8p8xoNNJUUntfNGIlqb658ldb7XBok5ow%2BkzijIgb46gqoSAcnULclPEnoBFlZmUmHXlgXxz4Z7wFQOMmBDQFSg0AkEk9PqStkZpYp4a3Byb7qcrynEq%2B4iqDCjRkg7rKaEz2Quugc15Sb%2BpnRvWWm8R4%2Bs4wSp9G2Ta6oa4%2BZaTgKeVTp5TB5ATWH76Rj8YMhZUhMUtwEJop3Uu3db8KYhYp1QJGVcJsh4p3U%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4iuwsffYw

But what I actually like most, is this
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324466312926?epid=2255135840&itmmeta=01HVY7R9PAXAS1RZ2MQHDR6955&hash=item4b8bb306de:g:cp0AAOSwPv9gEaCT&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8Ez7yxjdV%2BgCcxuWfGNL3gOt2CXYjfMQ6Kl91qMrWYVDw%2FmMZsp8gixnM3RMCOzSKAwaRap0hK4rAnHt7IRL1UUCyM8VgB3cdZqOUownXvDeFn8PPjkfJx39Cl%2Bn7s%2BZYEKnJraDOIAdzkbPqZZhsqTY389QDeYDsTMmvhxeWeUXEb9ZqzwPfOe1B3s6Tj%2F1ab5rskoIZ%2B24L07E%2F6npYtmILaiW8rqns%2FRGOrZTfyBZKarWm28NoHwCwYPxt2xO1L3bxvT4GxQ6qPdL5EEg%2BHXnqhr34GjAewmr3OggT9NIdYdKIApqs1VzRCHo5Uri2g%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6Sb4cffYw

Now it’s MUCH bigger, but it’s really uncompromised with not having to fold. The scabbard is excessively bulky which is a shame, but as long as your pack’s long enough for it that doesn’t really matter a huge amount (I keep meaning to make a more compact one, just use a bowsaw protector or some kydex maybe) It just makes the actual job so much easier. Plus it’s cheap as anything, I’ve lost one, I’ve abandoned one to rust due to bad storage, I just get another. I’ve used some lovely saws, Silkys and suchlike but this is just a really decent, practical, cheap alternative and it’s so much nicer than a foldy handle.

benp1

I’ve used both and definitely prefer my silky saws to my laplanders. Being a pull saw is a huge benefit

leffeboy

anything silky and a pullsaw really. A slight curve is lovely over straight if possible if you are having to cut something up high where you can’t get much weight onto the blade.  Ideally not induction hardened so you can sharpen it yourself afterwards but in reality the induction hardened stuff lasts so long I may just be kidding myself.  It is shocking how fast this stuff cuts

sirromj

The one I have is Bahco 180mm blade (or there abouts).

Bahco here

2024-04-20_09-00-582024-04-20_09-01-19

susepic

I’ve just typed bigboy2000 into Google..🧐

I bought a 14cm Kent and Stowe from the local garden centre for not a lot. Could be bigger, but we managed a couple of 10cm trunks after Kathleen

bikesandboots

Bahco Laplander isn’t much compromise in use, but it’s a bit bulky to carry just in case needed

really?  They’re reasonably well made, and you can get replacement blades for them but theres nothing smaller thats’ actually any use.  One advantage over the Noble is that the teeth are fully covered when folded (if a saws stuffed in a bag that you also stuff clothing in this matters!

It’s a great saw, no criticism. Just don’t need a saw out on a ride that often, and when I have done, the Laplander was more saw than I needed. 23cm long folded up. Given it’d always be taking up space, but rarely being used, a smaller saw would suit me better. Sort of like why I carry a mini pump.

z1ppy

Silky Fox always, I don’t use a folder, as the Gomtaro 240 fit nicely into my pack & works stupidly well.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.