Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What Elbow / Knee Pads??
  • bighairydel

So after a recent spill – the first of many I guess! – my knees and elbow took the brunt of the force, I now feel it is time to get some pads.
    My problem is that there are loads to choose from and some online reviews contradict each other wildly.
    Not looking to spend a fortune but will spend enough on decent stuff that will last and stop my skin from leaving my body!!
    What pads do you all use and recommend?

Cheers!

kayak23

What type of riding do you do?
    It will probably influence the choice.

I wear 661 Kyle straits on my knees for downhill and also pedally stuff, though leave them off if it’s not too rough and gnarly like.
    I wear IXS elbow pads, but only really wear them on dh days. Fell off minus the pads at Eastridge a few weeks back and my elbow is still painful. Lesson learned…maybe…a bit. 🙄

bighairydel

Well I’m less than a week into my new (and first) full suss all mountain bike. Though I love pushing it on the downhills I certainly don’t have the skills (yet) to call my riding style DH :o) I hate to use the word but more ‘enduro’ style – pah, there ive said it now!
    I ride anywhere from trail centres ( Glentress, Carron Valley etc ) to natural hills / mountains.

The Kyle straits are now called the Rage I believe, that was one I was looking at, cheers!

plus-one

Heard good things about the poc pads .. Have a pair of vpd knee ones on way 🙂

bighairydel

Anyone use the 661 Comp AM pads? Very cheap at the mo.

The POC’s do look good though the price scares me a bit!

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack but I’m also in the market for some new pads myself. I currently have a set of dianese knee/shin hard plastic pads from a few years back that are a total PITA when riding anything pedally.

I did try on some of the 661 rage pads a few weeks back but they felt quite bulky but the price was pretty good, I did see the Comps but they didn’t have my size to try but they looked less bulky than the rages were so would also be interested to hear if anyone has a set too.

plus-one

You only get one pair of knees 😉

bighairydel

@ Plus one – that sounds like my kind of excuse to convince a doubting wifey!! 😆

Nonsense
    Free Member

I’ve got the Fox launch knees and elbows. Really pleased with them so far. Would like a bit more coverage on the forearms but they are really comfy so I’m more likely to wear them in the first place.

bedfordrd

I’m going to be splashing out on POC pads – after injuring myself again (last time was 2 years ago), and spending maybe 2 months off the bike, which *might* have been prevented (or at least shortened) with decent pads, I’ve decided POC pads are the future.

Will be buying from my LBS, as they took the time to discuss (at length) all the pad options with me.

BTW – I was wearing new Fox ‘Enduro’ pads, as they are comfortable. Turns out, not much good in a crash….

Lots of reviews of POC gear – both magazine (Enduro MTB Mag #9) and blogs – all well rated, even though it costs £££s (yeah, with no biking and arm in a sling, I was doing lots of online pad research – would rather pay for decent gear than go through this again – Morzine at end of June now in doubt 🙁 )

kayak23

bighairydel – Member 
    Anyone use the 661 Comp AM pads? Very cheap at the mo.

I like how one of the reviewers on chain says they don’t fit humans and feel like having a phone book strapped to your leg with elastic bands… 😀

acehtn
    Free Member

Hard shell/soft shell, magic putty or foam, loads to choose from.

Best advise for any armour is fitting. Try before you buy. Poor fitting will be uncomfortable or will move on impact.

I went with Roach Rallys (first run under Raceface when they bought out Roach) old tech now, neoprene foam with hardshell outer. Shop got in large and medium legs for me to try, did try others, best fit for me was Roach/Raceface.

Coverage is brilliant, showing there age a bit but have been well battered, also got matching armguards to replace the Dianese ones that mostly rotated on impact.

So much choice, loads of reviews out there to help an informed choice, but really try and test fit first, local shop or anyone you know who wears knee/leg armour.

The trade off is sweaty and hot knees/legs when pedaling, but when you crash and don’t displace a knee cap 🙂 well worth it.
    Like most, i have heavier duty armour so tend to do easy rides up without it on and pad up for going down, unless it’s really cold and wet and then they are ace leg warmers.

prawny

Just ordered some Raceface Indy elbow pads, they look pretty good.

My Kyle Straits are coming up to 2 years old now, and going a bit baggy round the thighs, I think i’ll have to replace them soon.

xcgb
    Free Member

Just ordered some 661 rages will report back on here how they are

blob
    Free Member

661 Kyle Strait knee pads and g-form elbow pads. Strong enough to protect from scrapes and bruises but light and comfy enough to pedal in

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Raceface Rally knee/shins and elbow/forearm. Pretty good but only for DH runs and the like. They get very hot and aren’t that comfortable for any prolonged use, especially pedalling.

Fox Launch pros for general use, don’t get very hot and are so comfy you genuinely forget you are wearing them. I bought these before BPW on Thursday and can’t praise them enough. On all day and didn’t even notice.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Race face rally’s donkey’s years old for Antur uplift days and seriously fast hooning about, Kyle straits for rocky XC rides 661 d30 for all other riding as I’m at the age where broken bits take ages to heal and I suffered a real nasty fracture and skin flaying on a flinty descent while XC riding. Wound took months to heal and new skin grow back…..docs said I should have gone for skin grafts. Bath with bottle of iodine a clean brush and man up tears meant no visit to A&E or leg plaster.
    My only real words of advice are all pads I’ve ever tried are so damn small even XLs are not made for big blokes arms or legs. Both sets of 661 are falling to bits by ripping and the Velcro straps ain’t long enough. The good mrs s apapted the rare face rally straps to extend them by moving one half the Velcro.
    If you have big arms and legs it looks like Leatts 3DF pads which come in true XXL size may be the way forward….so much so just ordered a pair from CRC after my mate putting a flea in my ear on Saturday for going stupid fast from Minch Moor with no elbow protection ( and to be fair he was right as we rode top part twice as it’s a really good blast!)

vonplatz
    Free Member

I’m the only one saying this here so you probably won’t follow my advice but for the kind of riding you are doing I would recommend you get G Form. They are not as heavy duty as the others mentioned but sooo much lighter and your really don’t realise you are wearing them. I have the elbow pads and some Endura MT500 and although the Enduras get the job done they are so uncomfortable compared to the G Form.

I have sensitive skin (aww) and I nearly always get itchy skin around knees after a ride with the Endura. I like to have something that you wear all the time instead of winch up, put on pads fly down, take off pads for climb, repeat… and G Form really are the best for this IMO.

They have some new products coming out that includes a knee shin combo that I’m waiting for to become available in on CRC.

http://g-form.com/our-products/bike/

benman
    Free Member

I would recommend g-form too. So unnoticeable that I wear them on every ride

Not had a massive accident in them yet, but they deal with the everyday knocks and minor crashes fine

andypandy85
    Free Member

Nukeproof Critical knee and elbow pads here. Used them for 2 years of harsh downhill and they’re still going strong. They’re also perfectly comfortable to wear all day on a 30km AM ride, bonus!

wiggles
    Free Member

Just picked up some TLD knee/shin pads as felt the most comfortable (no Velcro). Tried POC, fox, 611 etc.

Will see how they hold up when I get out on my bike on the weekend.

kjrogers

I’ve got the G form pads and they are really comfortable and unobtrusive. However according to the tests in Enduro magazine they don’t meet the European? standard that the majority of other pads do. To be fair they don’t advertise that they meet this like the other pads.

So I’m in the market for some new pads now. Bliss make a minimalist pad which like the G-form can be chucked in the washing machine is made onto a lycra sleeve but does meet the standard for impact protection.

bighairydel

Well after a visit to my LBS today I came away with a pair of 661 Comp AM knee pads and Sweet Protection Bear Suit Elbows.

The 661’s are actually fine,(no where near phone book size lol) at first the sizing seemed a bit off for me as I had to get an XL to fit my chunky thighs, I thought they might fall down but they stayed put all day. I could feel a slight rub behind my knees after a while but never caused any pain or discomfort.
    The Sweet elbow pads are very good, they mould to you and are very tight fitting, I thought I wouldn’t get on with them so well but forgot I was wearing them after 5 minutes. They were pricey though even with a nice discount from the shop.

If money wasn’t an object I would get the Bearsuit knee pads as well, because the fit and material just feel a lot better than the 661’s though they were twice the price, Christmas isn’t far away! 😉

Never fell off my steed today either so they must work! 😆

Del

i keep putting this up on these threads – you can’t wash d30. check their website and care instructions pdf.

theotherjonv

I wear g-form knee and elbow for xc rides after a very minor off at swinley led to 3 weeks laid up with a grated knee cap.

But I was glad of my old 661 racelite stormtrooper pads yesterday on discovering the trail builders at bpw had completely failed to match their trail to my flight path!! That I’m walking today is testament to proper hard shell for the right situation.

Suggsey
    Free Member

WaShing / Drying
    If applicable, D3O protectors should be removed carefully from the garment before washing.
    D3O protectors are wipe-clean only, using a damp cloth.
    NEVER use cleaners or detergents on or launder your D3O product. This may result in irreparable damage and will severely reduce the effectiveness of your D3O product.
    After washing, allow to dry in a ventilated space at room temperature; do not use hair dryers
    or other heaters to dry your D3O product.
    Maintenance
    Never modify any part of your D3O product.
    Protectors should be inspected before use for signs of wear and/or damage and replaced if necessary.
    If your D3O protector has sustained a significant blunt impact, it should be discarded and replaced.

poah
    Free Member

So I’m in the market for some new pads now. Bliss make a minimalist pad which like the G-form can be chucked in the washing machine is made onto a lycra sleeve but does meet the standard for impact protection.

I’m after a pair too, have had no luck finding any in stock though

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of old 661 Kyle Straits that I us fir uplift days but they’re getting a bit knackered now and stink to high heaven. They’re pretty good but mega hot and I wouldn’t fancy pedalling for a LNG time in them.

To try and get me to war pads more, I’ve just nought some Lleatt ones from CRC that arrived today. They look pretty damn good for the money.

MSP

I have some Kyle Straits, both knee and elbow, always found them pretty decent. I can only find one of the elbow pads which is driving me absolutely nuts!

I ordered some of the evo elbow pads, which I don’t like at all and am going to send back. And instead have ordered some of the 661 rage elbow and knee/shin pads. I will report back on fit when I get them.

Fit is an odd thing with pads, I also have some RF rally knee and elbow pads, I found with the elbow pads that I had to cut away the lycra backing on my forearm to stop them restricting blood flow when I get arm pump from all the mincing down the trails I do on my downhill bike.

bspoked
    Free Member

POC Knee and Shin. The fit is so good I’ve ditched the lower strap. Ride all day without noticing you’re wearing them. I even put them on hike-a-biking the other day as leg warmers…

maxtorque

Hmm, i’m just looking for some new elbow pads for the summer. I have a set of 661 rhythms i wear for XC/gentle DH stuff in the winter under long sleaved jerseys, but i’d love a thicker pad, that can be worn with short sleave tops without feeling boiled or completely encased for this summers alps trip??

How do people find “short” pads to wear? Always moving around and being annoying? Or what about thse POC ones, sort of a halfway house between small and big designs:

Hmm?? think i’m going to have to find somewhere to try some on!

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’ve got the TLD KG5450 knee shin pads, find them fine for XC..
    Has anyone used the matching elbow pads, are they any good?

wiggles
    Free Member

First ride with my TLD kg5450 today nd they are great, comfy and no issues with pedaling. Not tested them in a crash yet. Top bit felt a bit loose but stayed over my knee.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Just picked up my Lleatt knee pads and the kit feels pretty damn good….they’re a lot less cumbersome than my 661’s but still feel like they’ll give a good amount of protection.

chrisdw
    Free Member

D30 should probably speak to companies that use their product then. I have a pair of RF Indy knee guards that use D30 and it clearly says on the care label they can be washed at 40 degrees.

MSP

Is the d30 not removable? All the d30 kit I have looked at, the d30 can be removed so they can be cleaned.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Not that I have seen. But I will double check!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve got the TLD KG5450 knee shin pads, find them fine for XC..
    Has anyone used the matching elbow pads, are they any good?

I bought the kg5400 knee pads the other day and was impressed with them so bought the kg5500 elbow pads and they’re just as good. My old 661 evo elbow pads used to slip down now and again but these don’t.

kimbers

Buuuump race face Indy elbow pads, prawn,anyone ? Have experience of them

Cheers

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘What Elbow / Knee Pads??’ is closed to new replies.