Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • What does Todmodern need?
  • matt_outandabout

What does Todmodern need?

A company local enough to be able to spell the name properly? 😉

mt
    Free Member

A montain bike magazine

Free Member

Chipps as Mayor
    SFB as chief decision maker as to whether women folk could move in
    Rudeboy as town planner

hora
    Free Member

A bigger Job centre? Lets face it there not much to do round there for most residents.

fubar
    Free Member

I think that a climbing wall is a great idea.

A Decent bikeshop (or how about getting Blazing Saddles to move to somewhere with some parking)

I thought there was a shortage of decent housing in (short) walking distance of the train station.

p.s. I’d rather live in Tod than Toy-town Hebden, and I have lived in Hebden (and very nearly did live in Tod).

AndyP
    Free Member

“Tod modern” was what the Partner here is calling the scheme

sweet baby jesus and the orphans. That’s not entirely promising, is it?
    Why not call it ‘Operation **** up a decent town in the name of progress’?

hora
    Free Member

AndyP sweet Jesus of Nazareth why not just call it Operation Turd-polish ? 8)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Rudeboy as town planner

Yes!

I’ll get the place buzzing, no problem.

A nice municiple building, is what a place like that needs…

I’m not playing games, you know.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Climbing wall seems like the best suggestion – I think they actually complement areas which have good outside bouldering / climbing. The Beacon climbing wall here in Snowdonia is always incredibly busy and, just to state the obvious, there is some of the UK’s best outdoor climbing and bouldering here 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Funnily watching Channel 5’s Hitlers secret Bunkers…..Germania anyone?

thepodge
    Free Member

hah just seen this thread, everything listed has been tried at least once if not more.

climbing wall, Check (outdoor centre up in the old Lumbutts Mill)
    cinema, check, (failed & turned into Kwik Save)
    snazzy company trying to rebrand it, check (I could name 20)
    marina plans, check (see behind the new NHS centre)

what it needs is to stop trying to be some where else and develop its own identity. it also needs to stop faffing with stuff. the Ormerod building (old, old NHS building) has been closed for the last 20 years or more, probably closer to 25, its a well good building right in the centre of town and its boarded up. nice advert for the town. what has the old (mid?) NHS centre turned into or is that still walled off, again another good advert… welcome to Tod, home of derelict building right in your face.

it should also push for a Halifax phone number (there is no HX 81 prefix so that’s dead easy) and a Halifax post code so that people stop confusing it as some where in Lancashire.

last time i was back there they had got some massive rocks and carved the towns name on them… woop, that’s made a difference hasn’t it? why didn’t they spend that cash helping my dad keep the Scouts open so kids could do interesting stuff like shoot guns, set fires (no snide comments about them already doing that, i’m trying to help), no they thought some bits of rock were a better investment. Tod was well known as the home of a Buddhist centre but again, the town didn’t help keep them, they put up some metal fish on the side of a former mill down the side of the canal. I also hear it won Britain in bloom but when I was there it was littered with rubbish, clearly who ever organised it was only interested in doing it for judging day.

how about halving all the rent for the indoor and outdoor market so traders are more likely to come and stay, meaning shoppers are more likely to use it making it look busy. how about cleaning up tip side so it doesn’t live up to its name, again bang in the centre of the town.

hora
    Free Member

Could create a learning and workshop excellent centre for gender studies and equality.
    Oh hang on, that would be too close to another already established centre 8)

fatblokeattheback
    Free Member

An MTB uplift!

Save all that pesky pedaling 🙁

RudeBoy
    Free Member

The Todmorden Regeneration Project unveils plans for building more affordable housing:

aP
    Free Member

It seems a bit odd that a regeneration/masterplanning scheme is reduced to asking on a mtb web forum as to what to do.
    If it was me I’d spend a couple of weeks in the town looking to see what is there, how it works and then finding out what might be missing and could be useful, and maybe deciding that what it really needs isn’t a pigeon consultant.

thepodge
    Free Member

what it needs is not something that only appeals to a very small majority of its 11+ thousand inhabitants

thepodge
    Free Member

oh and ad for the uplift… i’m sure some of the Hebden buses will take bikes on their specially built carriers.

Whatsit
    Free Member

Bringing back in line with the UK’s timezone, everyone I know from Tod seems to run on “TodTime” which appears to be either in front of or behind the normal timezone without any apparent reason.

CountZero

Whatsit seems to have a point: an early post listing businesses in Tod had Radio Rentals down. What! I thought they went south twenty years ago.

elaineanne
    Free Member

you spelt Todmodern wrong for a start !…. its spelt ‘Todmorden’ !!! or id you find the headstone on Rochdale road you pronounce it ‘Tod mor den’..

my home town and is the best for hill climbs and the best decents for mountain biking (yeah).
    yep we could do with a bike park with some real jumps…. and also some board walk stuff up in the park woods ! just a few not totaly swamp it.
    and ive always said we shud have a bouldering wall somewhere in our town (the old doctors on Burnley rd perhaps.
    a cinema !!!!!! please… or an ‘ice- rink’ or ‘bowling alley’ !

thepodge
    Free Member

a cinema !!!!!! please… or an ‘ice- rink’ or ‘bowling alley’ !

there isn’t the infrastructure or demand to support that kind of spending when there are established ones down the road.

soops
    Free Member

Everybody to stop Slagging it off!
    And a Cinema at the old kwick save.

alexathome
    Free Member

i’ve never been there but everyone on here makes it sound well worth a visit – given that Royton Vasey is fictional.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘What does Todmodern need?’ is closed to new replies.