Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • What do you feed your dog?
  • Premier Icon jamesbont
    Free Member

I have a 2-year-old Cocker spaniel who is a bit of a fussy eater. I’ve tried all sorts of different dry dog foods which he will occasionally eat and I give him a tray of Harrington’s wet food every morning. I’m worried hes not getting enough food so any suggestions on what you feed would be great

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

Dry food only for all my dogs.
    Ranging from Beta to Dr Johns
    All on Beta working just now.

Premier Icon IHN

‘Good’, wheat-free dry food for our current and previous.

Currently on Canagan lamb.

I’m worried hes not getting enough food

Sweeping generalisation, but, basically, if he’s hungry, he’ll eat. Put the food down, give him half an hour to eat it, if he doesn’t then he doesn’t get another chance until the next meal time.

Premier Icon honeybadgerx

Yora puppy here, which she likes. Don’t change straight from one to the other, I’d transition over about a week. Another trick is to crumble a treat of tiny bit of cheese into it to get him going and then gradually reuse.

Premier Icon james-rennie

We got a dog in Feb 2020, and one of the neighbours got his brother from the same litter.
    Ours is a happy but picky bag o’ bones, and despite the vet’s reassurances I worry sometimes that he’s too skinny. His brother, on the other hand is a barrel.

On a recent walk with the neighbour I got to talking about the different sizes of the pair and the neighbour said they just stick fatboy’s food in the microwave for 10 seconds then he wolfs it down regardless of the content.

I’ve tried it and can confirm it works for our Cupar.

Premier Icon doomanic

Raw minced chicken or beef. She loves it and clean up has never been easier.

Premier Icon doomanic

Oh, and cat crap. Lots of cat crap…

Premier Icon IHN

they just stick fatboy’s food in the microwave for 10 seconds then he wolfs it down regardless of the content.

A bit of warm water on dry food can do a similar trick

Premier Icon wheeliedirty
    Free Member

Have you tried smaller meals but more regular?

My current boxer is a fussy eater but once started he’ll eat well. He eats dry food but often needs a little something on top to get him started so I add things like kippers, chicken, tuna, raw tripe etc. Variety also seems to be key

Premier Icon lunge

Cyclists.

Premier Icon theotherjonv

Sweeping generalisation, but, basically, if he’s hungry, he’ll eat. Put the food down, give him half an hour to eat it, if he doesn’t then he doesn’t get another chance until the next meal time.

Another generalisation, dogs don’t eat as a social activity with friends and a nice glass of wine while discussing good fence posts in the area, or what the bitch at 42’s back end smells like.

They eat for sustenance and as fuel (and yes – some will also eat because it’s there!) and as long as the dog is able to function and exercise and is in good condition, etc., I wouldn’t fret about whether it’s eating the amount it says on the side of the pack. If it was undernourished quickly that would be evident.

Premier Icon andy5390

A few potatoes, carrots,peas, broccoli – boiled and mashed, then about 250g of fried beef mince mixed in. Make into meatball sized lumps once cooled

Premier Icon z1ppy
    Free Member

Dry food, again grain free.
    Fussy eater? Really, they eat shit at the drop of a hat.

Premier Icon timbog160

2 and a half year old greyhound. 2 scoops of dry kibble with either raw beef mince, sardines or raw chicken wings on top.

Premier Icon desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Chum

Premier Icon IHN

Have you tried smaller meals but more regular?

Or, indeed, larger meals, but less often? Then you know he’s hungry at the time of feeding.

Premier Icon razorrazoo

Our Cocker went through a few months of being really fussy, we tried a load of food and have finally settled on the following which she now ‘woofs’ up (fed when wakes up in the morning and late afternoon);

Kibble – Essential – I think we’re using Highland Living at the moment, high meat content and well rated on the comparison site we used.  Also direct sales model so cheaper than Canagan etc.

Topper – Forthglade Complimentary

We use a spoonful of topper for taste and microwave with the kibble for about 10 seconds.  You can get a box of 12 trays which lasts ages as a tray lasts several days.

Previously she has tried James Welbeloved (breeder kibble), Royal Canin (which she loved but is not nutritionally good), Arden Grange and Canagan.  The Essential food has resulted in the best stool consistency by far.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Raw with a lot of variety – rabbit, venison, lamb etc,. with a % of offal and bone mixed in and fruit or veg.

Probably shouldn’t own a dog if you think feeding it on dry food is the right thing…

Premier Icon docrobster
    Free Member

Raw minced chicken beef rabbit turkey what have you.
    He prefers the cats food though.
    Wife signed up for a trial of something called butternut box. He preferred that. It got cancelled when the intro offer ran out…

Premier Icon IHN

Probably shouldn’t own a dog if you think feeding it on dry food is the right thing…

Oh, get in the sea.

Premier Icon toby1

Steroids, so she’s never not hungry!

Canagan Turkey works for us, but she is the furthest from a fussy eater you could get. Former street dog and now with added ‘roids. Only things she won’t eat are other dogs poo (but all other types are IN), spinach and banana. She loves raw skin on Butternut squash too!

Active feeding helps too, the food is then a reward for a training/brain stimulating activity, to the point we don’t even have a bowl for her.

Premier Icon docrobster
    Free Member

Oh yeah stool consistency. Major bonus of the raw diet. A couple of dry nuggets instead of a pound of slop to scrape up.

Premier Icon desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Oh, get in the sea.

Agreed, the sea of cluelessness

Premier Icon IHN

Oh yeah stool consistency. Major bonus of the raw diet. A couple of dry nuggets instead of a pound of slop to scrape up.

That (the nuggets), is exactly what we get on Canagan dry.

Premier Icon iainc

Probably should back that up with some veterinary science..

Premier Icon z1ppy
    Free Member

+1 heh, never heard that before but totally agree (sea comment).

Premier Icon razorrazoo

Absolutely, Essential is the only food we’ve used which results in consistent solid dog eggs.

Premier Icon richmtb

We fed my Cocker a mixture of raw and kibble, kibble in the morning and raw for dinner.

She is a fussy bugger, although not when it comes to begging for scraps, and would often leave the kibble as she knew she would get the raw later.

About a month ago she started throwing up the raw, happened 3 or 4 times in a row. We switched to a different raw food and she did it again, for whatever reason her stomach didn’t seem to tolerate the raw anymore even though she seem to love it.

Now she is on Royal Canan kibble which we top up with some boiled or roast chicken and a bit of boiled veg.

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

Utter crap

Premier Icon iainc

14 month old cockapoo here. He has had some stomach problems originating from Giardia as a small pup. All good now but still a bit of a sensitive stomach. He was on Royal Canin gastro high fibre kibble for much of his first year, with a 1/3 tin of Chappie in the morn (recommended by vet as a wet benign mild variation).

He loves the Chappie so have stuck with that, and kibble wise he’s now on Scrumbles, which goes down a treat and comes out the other end ok too…

Premier Icon LeeW

We give our 7m old Spinone dried food, a white label grain free from These guys. we have it on repeat so get a further discount.

We did a lot of research on this site to find a good quality food and am very happy with the results.

We used to give 100% raw, but, needing the freezer space to store what we’d need and how we’d buy it to make it economical wasn’t really an option. We do still have a few tubs of Nature’s Menu in the freezer which we use as a topper, will sometimes give him some as a whole meal. We do however give him lots of raw ‘treats’ chicken wings/turkey/chicken carcasses/rabbit ears/fish etc.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

We feed our Bella a raw diet. We keep mixing up the proteins but have found too much chicken isn’t good for her. She benefits from more bone than the standard mixes. The Utterly Rawsome stuff is lovely big chunks. Actually looks really appetising.

We also supplement with lamb necks, bull pizzles, sardines etc. Things with fur or feathers still attached as it helps clear any parasites. We also do regular stool samples and only worm if required.

She also loves apple cores, slices of cucumber as well as cauliflower and broccoli stems. Those aren’t an official part other diet, just what she gets while we’re cooking.

Typically, the most cooked thing she gets is some Forthglade in a Kong.

Fittest dog we’ve ever had and folks are surprised to hear how old she is.

Premier Icon PrinceJohn

We use a combo of Butternut box, Harringtons kibble & our own mush (sweet potatoes, sausages & carrots roasted & blended with some chicken stock)

We also us puzzle feeders & the aforementioned mush in kongs

Premier Icon tuboflard

Only raw food for our lad, get it online from a place called Natural Instinct. I’ve no personal views or experience between dry food or wet/raw, all I know is our dog loves it and it’s gone in seconds, so he clearly likes the stuff and he’s healthy as a result. Oh and his shits are small and like bullets.

Premier Icon MRanger156
    Free Member

We changed our 2 year old cocker spaniel’s diet to raw food about 6 months ago and I would not go back to kibble now.

He used to have Acana or Vetspec kibble which he liked (he eats anything) but he had a few minor skin issues and constantly has ear infections. I was initially against raw but did a lot of research about it and decided to give it a go. His coat and skin are now in great condition and his ear infections have reduced significantly (also helped by keeping his ear hair short on the inside and not too long on the outside). He absolutely loves his raw food and his weight and general health have definitely improved.

We use Nutriment raw food which comes in handy 500g tubs that fit in the freezer easily. We top it up/supplement it with a bit of fruit, veg, sprats, chicken feet etc. We also mix up the flavours for him.

Premier Icon tthew

*narrows eyes at Onzadog

Is our Henry masquerading as a girl and living at two houses? That sounds just like what ours eats. And can I just say there’s a depressing lack of photo’s on this thread.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXthxBDMcwj/

edit – meh, including me. You’ll just have to click the link! Sure Insta posts used to embed somehow.

Premier Icon Pieface
    Free Member

Despite what they may tell you, not all dogs get on with raw food. We tried over months to transition our dog over and she never took to it, got the runs constantly and lost weight.

We now feed a small scoop of 7 grain free kibble and 5th of a tin of 7 grain free wet food, all mixed up with a drop of water, twice a day. She eats it pretty quick, but can miss a meal without tearing down the walls.

She was a fussy eater, but in the sense that some foods gave her the runs, but that was in her first year whilst trying to work out what food suited her. She settled on Canagan but then moved to 7 as she got on with it and was much cheaper.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

@tthew

Not sure. Is Henry a bull lurcher who’s so hench, everyone assumes it couldn’t possibly be a girl (even with a selection of pink collars)?

Just clicked the link. Cute as he is, if that’s also our Bella, then he’s a master of disguise!

Came across a cocker-poo the other day called Chester. Name was inspired by the Goonies.

Premier Icon db

https://www.millieswolfheart.co.uk/

She gets on best with 60/40 or 50/50 mixes. We bought small bags for her to ‘try’ until we found a few mixes she likes. Now buy bigger bags and just rotate it round. (Also gets a variety scraps when we are making breakfast/lunch/dinner from cucumber to carrots and bacon to beans.)

Premier Icon guest1
    Free Member

Frozen sausages.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.