Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • What do you do about aggressive dogs on rides?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Went out today & turned off the main road onto a BW past a house, sun was in my eyes & heard before I saw, 2 dogs barking & running at me, had a bit of poo come out as they got closer & barking, getting closer! Grabbed the water bottle which was full of Morrissons Orange & Peach still water (local ride so no bladder)& gave the nearest mutt a squirt while the other one tried a pincer movement & came up from behind, it got a squirt also. This was repeated a few times before they decided they didn’t like the flavour or I wasn’t worth it!
    My mate usually grabs a stick or a few rocks in this situation, what do you do?

I also yelled at the top of my voice, ‘GET THOSE ******G DOGS IN!’

jam-bo

Stop and play with them.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Kick to the head. Preferrably the owner, but if needs must the dogs.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Boot. Chops.
    😉

njee20
    Free Member

Kick.

tappit
    Free Member

You need to use the Crocodile Dundee Hypnotise Buffalo technique.

freeridenick
    Free Member

MTFU more like.

jekkyl

Cack myself & shout at them/owner, cycle faster!!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Two dogs you say.

This technique would seem like it was designed for that very purpose.

allthepies
    Free Member

Only playing, don’t normally do that, don’t like bikes/helmets/whatever.

etc.

project
    Free Member

How do you fend off a dangerous dog?
    Posted on January 3, 2007 by Jon
    The BBC has published a namby-pamby article about what to do if a dog attacks you. They suggest that you put your hands in your pockets and turn away. I prefer the advice Richard Ballantine gave in his excellent Richard’s Bicycle Book. He points out that humans are bigger than dogs and thus should be able to win any fight. With big dogs he suggests that you stick your fist down their throat so that they choke. With a whole arm in their mouth they won’t have enough leverage to do much damage. With smaller dogs he says you can quite easily break their sternum by pulling their front legs sharply apart, or with tiny dogs you could wave your bicycle pump around until they grab hold of it with their teeth and then dash their brains out on the pavement.
    If you’re a dog lover and are tempted to comment I’d point out that I’m talking here about self-defence against attacking dogs. My youngest daughter has been literally terrified three times in the last two weeks by nasty yappy dogs that jumped up in her face in places where they should have been kept on a lead, in every case the owners acted as though it was her fault and didn’t apologise. Saying that it’s the owners and not the dogs that are to blame is like saying it’s not guns that kill people, but people. In other words, of course a dog can be safely and responsibly owned, it’s just that they frequently aren’t.
    I don’t think that dog ownership is sufficiently well regulated and until any dog (or its revolting by-products) can be easily and definitely traced to a specific owner I don’t think that they should be allowed to roam freely in our cities.

JRTG
    Free Member

Use it as mental fuel to power up the next climb, or bank the thoughts until you are knackerd for a turbo boost. Some dog owners need shooting. I love a dog but an out of control dog is unacceptable.

freeridenick
    Free Member

what if it was meowing cat… 😆

RustySpanner

freeridenick – Member

MTFU more like.

Cos that really helps when you’re being attacked, doesn’t it?

jam bo – Member

Stop and play with them.

Well, if you can’t ride away from them it sometimes helps – they might just be a badly behaved dog who just wants to play.

But if attacked with no escape route, then a good kicking is the only solution.

With bigger dogs and/or a pack, I’ve no idea what you’d do.

Project:

Judging by some recent threads on here and from personal experience, it’s pointless trying to reason with the owners – nothing you say will make them believe the attack wasn’t your fault.

And I love dogs by the way – I just think irresponsible owners should be prosecuted and dangerous dogs destroyed.

project
    Free Member

Thanks Rusty spanner just reedited the advice above.

billytinkle
    Free Member

That actually works on my dog, he runs off scared. Mind you, he’s also scared of his food bowl if it’s left in the wrong place.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

tappit – Member

😆

patriotpro
    Free Member

kiss it’s teeth when it growls

theblackmount
    Free Member

Dogs in barking and running towards you shocker….

Just stop and clap my thigh / encourage them to come towards me. Easier said than done admittedly if you are scared of dogs.

RustySpanner

theblackmount – Member

Dogs in barking and running towards you shocker….

The OP was asking about aggressive dogs, not over exuberant ones.

So what would you do if you were attacked?

project
    Free Member

How do you fend off a dangerous dog?
    Posted on January 3, 2007 by Jon
    The BBC has published a namby-pamby article about what to do if a dog attacks you. They suggest that you put your hands in your pockets and turn away. I prefer the advice Richard Ballantine gave in his excellent Richard’s Bicycle Book. He points out that humans are bigger than dogs and thus should be able to win any fight. With big dogs he suggests that you stick your fist down their throat so that they choke. With a whole arm in their mouth they won’t have enough leverage to do much damage. With smaller dogs he says you can quite easily break their sternum by pulling their front legs sharply apart, or with tiny dogs you could wave your bicycle pump around until they grab hold of it with their teeth and then dash their brains out on the pavement.
    If you’re a dog lover and are tempted to comment I’d point out that I’m talking here about self-defence against attacking dogs. My youngest daughter has been literally terrified three times in the last two weeks by nasty yappy dogs that jumped up in her face in places where they should have been kept on a lead, in every case the owners acted as though it was her fault and didn’t apologise. Saying that it’s the owners and not the dogs that are to blame is like saying it’s not guns that kill people, but people. In other words, of course a dog can be safely and responsibly owned, it’s just that they frequently aren’t.
    I don’t think that dog ownership is sufficiently well regulated and until any dog (or its revolting by-products) can be easily and definitely traced to a specific owner I don’t think that they should be allowed to roam freely in our cities.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

If a dog came near me when im out on the bike and got aggressive, i would not hesitate to get off and give it a good kicking.

Simples.

The cycle paths round my local area are littered with dog mess – NOT THE DOGS FAULT I KNOW…..

It is a disgrase! Especially as i use the same paths walking the kids

🙄 ….. Wanders off topic slightly!

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Personally I think dogs detect fear. Getting into a flap and shouting is only going to worry the dog. It you keep your cool and keep your arms down with no sudden movements all should be fine.

singlespeedstu

I’ve only ever been in a situation where i though a dog was seriously going to do me some harm once. (very large mastif/ ridgeback looking cross)
    At this point Mrs ssstu rode up between me and the dog.
    It then proceded to drag it’s owner across the floor while trying to bite her bars/ grips/stem.
    Mrs ssstu’s reaction was to just stop, look at it like it was a daft kitten and in a calm voice ask it what the f**** it though it was doing trying to bite some metal. 😯

The dog seemed to get a bit confused by this and lost interest in the taste of alloy, turn round and look at it’s owner lay on the floor and just stand there like a big dope.
    I rode off to empty my shorts…

jam-bo

With big dogs he suggests that you stick your fist down their throat so that they choke.

This sounds like a goer…

shortcut

Some dogs chase bikes – not because the dog is aggressive and not because the owner is irresponsible.

Stop – get off and make friends with the dog. Seldom do I have a problem. Although farm collies can be quite excitable.

Sometimes just talking to the dog and slowing down is fine.

RustySpanner

chipsngravy – Member

Personally I think dogs detect fear. Getting into a flap and shouting is only going to worry the dog. It you keep your cool and keep your arms down with no sudden movements all should be fine.

I’m sure that’ll cheer up the 210,000 people attacked by dogs every year.
    Hospital admissions for serious dog bites have more than doubled over the past decade.

Government figures from the DEFRA site. Link.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Dog ran up to me and bite my ankle about 6 months ago, I tried to kick it but it ran back to the farm where it lived. I knocked on the door of the farm but no answer, I coax the dog over….It got a nice kick to the chops.

cinnamon_girl

You need to challenge the dog. Make yourself appear as large as possible and look it in the eye, make it hold your stare and the chances are it won’t.

butcher

Dogs will often give chase and bark. Sometimes they look quite intimidating when they do it. But it doesn’t mean they’re about to chew your face off. Dogs bark and run. That’s what they do. Ignore it and plod on.

singlespeedstu

– get off and make friends with the dog. Seldom do I have a problem. Although farm collies can be quite excitable.

I find your average farm collie to only be interested in barking at moving wheels. 😆

I know some one that lived and worked on a farm.
    Her collie used to quite happily get a ride on her bikes petrol tank to the field with the sheep in. When she kicked it off the bike it would spend the first couple of minutes barking at/trying to bite the tyres on her bike. Then it would remember what it’s job was and round up the sheep. 😀

glupton1976
    Free Member

I cant believe that nobody has gone for the a) leave them at home, b) the wife isn’t that aggresive, c) take them with me, d) let them wander the streets options yet.

igrf
    Free Member

Take my earlier (William no mates)advice and get your own dog, make certain it’s a decent sized one, like a German Shepherd, Rottweiler, (dont buy a Doberman they are crap) and they will look after any other dog opposition you might face.

tinribz
    Free Member

You need to challenge the dog. Make yourself appear as large as possible and look it in the eye, make it hold your stare and the chances are it won’t.

Rather than ‘cumon ave a go if’ try looking relaxed and slowly blinking a them, it’s dog language for good morning.

roger_mellie

I tell them loudly to F*** OFF.
    May not actually work but makes me feel better.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I generally stop and get off the bike, they seem to stop then.
    Once you get to know them, they’re fine.

singlespeedstu

roger.

I though you liked to tell people to.

Rather than F*** OFF.

carlosg
    Free Member

As a postie I come into contact with quite a lot of dogs and you can usually tell pretty quickly if they’re going to be vicious or not. I have always challenged the ones that have a go as they generally don’t expect it. I had to go mental on a pit bull-esque thing the other week it took about 10 kicks to the head before it started to back down , I was crapping it as I thought it wasn’t going to stop.

GolfChick
    Free Member

get your own dog, make certain it’s a decent sized one, like a German Shepherd, Rottweiler, (dont buy a Doberman they are crap) and they will look after any other dog opposition you might face.

Don’t get a rhodesian ridgeback either… Or at least don’t borrow mine she got bitten by a gypo jack Russel the other week and nigh on pood herself…. Also a tip for ya, if the aggressive dog is with a gypo and you’re a woman with your name dog with you don’t shout ‘get the f*ck away from my dog at the attacking dog… The gypps won’t like it!

I was bitten by two rottweilers not long ago… The owners famous line was they don’t usually bite… Er yeah ok!

Taff
    Free Member

I’m a dog person and have suffered the consequences from winding up my own dogs as well as friends since i was a nipper. I will carry on naturally until I get nipped which is when I will release the fury on the owner. They don’t like it when you hold a dog by the scruff of the neck until they appear/respond. Touch wood, I’ve not had a dog I’ve been scared of yet. I may change my tune afterwards. The bigger the dog the better I reckon. Terriers and other small rats are the scourge of the trails

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘What do you do about aggressive dogs on rides?’ is closed to new replies.