Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • What do you commute to work on?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

You take your car to work… by Pimpmaster Jazz, on Flickr

Genesis Skyline SS.

18 mile round trip on bike (drive, park and ride), or 60 in the car without riding.

lunge

This is all very interesting.

I’m just working out how easy it would be for me to do a 35 mile each way job.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sorry that sounds rubbish – I meant 46 miles round trip – 23 each way – doh

I do a 40 mile round trip 3-5 days a week. Winter is hard so I try to stick to Monday/Wednesday/Friday as I find riding in the dark mentally tiring any more than 3 days in a row. Average over spring/summer is 4 days a week, regularly do 5 days in a row, but it is quite tiring.

23 miles each way would be perfectly doable.

njee20
    Free Member

Not particularly.

I’d ‘happily’ do up to 30 miles if I didn’t have to drive 25 miles to start riding, and perhaps if there were fewer lights, but 35 miles a day, any more than once a week will probably leave you pretty knackered. Doable though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well it depends on the route. A friends of mine rides from the south side of Glasgow to Ayr a couple of days a week and thats 34 miles each way. He does have lots of route options though and has the option of the train if he’s feeling really knackered. He’s a bit mental though.

He does regulalry ride a bit, take the train, etc so probably only does the full route once a week.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

10 mile round trip, mainly on bridleways, on a marin lombard with cross tyres.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My commute involves a train journey of just over an hour each way, however most mornings I cycle the seven miles to my local station and 13 miles across the city on my Wolf Ridge. It’s done wonders for my fitness.

If I feel like taking something more rapid and racy, then I’ll dust off my Enduro instead 🙂

MrBlond
    Free Member

Fuji track, perfect for a flat 3 miles each way, although I might switch to the roadrat when the weather gets really foul

MrTall
    Free Member

25 mile round trip on a Salsa Fargo with big fat 2.35″ slicks. Comfy as a comfy thing.

Done around 4 times a week this month but usually a lot less as it’s too easy to jump in the car as my commute is not too bad traffic wise. Probably average once a week over the year but then i’m more likely to ride after work for fun.

I’ve just gone over 700 miles for the month today in total and its killing me, not something i’d want to repeat on a regular basis. I’ve ridden 26 consecutive days now and am putting the bikes away for the first few days of December for a well earned rest.

Well done to those who do big miles regularly, i suppose it becomes routine but it’s still a great effort.

toys19
    Free Member

I’m a bit of small fish here as my commute is less than a mile all downhill on the way.. Drop my girl to school and roll into the office.

Karinofnine

Usually 12 miles on the train, 12 miles on a Scott Sub 10 (each way). I work four days a week.

I recently bought a seat post pack to keep weight off my back following an operation, and as an added and unexpected bonus I am enjoying not having a big sweaty patch on my back! All good. Following the operation I am doing train all the way some days a week to get back into it (because I am actually not supposed to be riding at all – but I am rationalising this decision by telling myself that it’s on the road it doesn’t count)

69er
    Free Member

40 mile round trip on a Bob Jackson Pista fixie.

bikebouy
    Free Member

This to the train station:

Mintman
    Free Member

2 mile commute on my sacrificial Halfords Trax TR1. When you go into a shop and ask for the cheapest bike they have you can only blame yourself for the outcome

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Kona Jake, full guards, panniers with clothes, laptop, paperwork, food etc. So plenty of extra weight.

18 miles each way, 50/50 on/off road, some good hills. Normally 1 – 2 times per week.

damitamit
    Free Member

Salsa Casseroll Alfine’d.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

10 miles a day on my Orange Blood

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I did two days (one per week) leading up to the Dyfi Enduro in 2009 of 30 miles each way over the Chilterns on my Skyline (running a 52/18 off the top of my head). After those and the Dyfi I lost about an inch on my waist.

It wasn’t actually too bad, but I haven’t felt inspired enough to do it again. 😉 That and a road I used has been closed, and the detour is a longer, far less direct and a fast rat run. It’s a long two hours on the bike after a day at work, especially in the dark, as well.

samuri
    Free Member

One way to fix the long commute problem is drive into work with your bike in the boot. Leave your car at work overnight and ride home. Ride back the next day.

I’m a bit of small fish here as my commute is less than a mile all downhill on the way.. Drop my girl to school and roll into the office.

Any loss of kudos associated with your low mileage is immediately won back due to your awesome bike!

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘What do you commute to work on?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM