Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • What do you commute to work on?
  • samuri
    Free Member

Thinking about going Samuri / SDB style and MTFUing up and riding it fixed. That ought to toughen me up..!

You’ll need to do a lot of it offroad fixed if you’re going to be as tough as me. 😉

angryratio
    Free Member

Another Pompino here.. at least 4 times a week approx 100 miles in total on average.
    If it snows i’ll be on my inbred.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Genesis IOID for me – covered in sticky tape and flith, plastered with reflective tape and lights, flat bars with bar ends 1.5 slicks and hope mini brakes – looks shite rides lovely

rOcKeTdOg

got any of that tape left TJ?

Forge_Master
    Free Member

25 mile round trip on either my Giant xtc 1 converted to ss or my 29er scandal.

I prefer the scandal.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A few bits RD -email me

hels
    Free Member

Depends on the weather, time of year.

I have a converted Giant CX bike (panniers, bottle cage and road tires added) if it’s nice enough to pedal in and the showers are operating at work.

Yamaha 125cc in summer.

Car if it’s close enough to pay day that I have petrol in the tank and can afford the parking (once a week max I ration myself)

Godawful bus. I hate the bus so much, especially in winter when it’s slow and everyone coughs all over you and insists on closing the window. And I get sick cos I can’t see out properly. Hell.

njee20
    Free Member

46 mile round trip on a Specialized Allez which weighs more than my Top Fuel 2-3 days a week. Plus one 20 mile round trip 1-2 days a week when I can avoid goin to London!

sc-xc

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    got any of that tape left TJ?

It’s the very same tape you can see on my bike. It’s super duper reflective…

(the other ‘most likely to get T-boned’ side is covered….)

trickydisco
    Free Member

About 7 miles a day

Gary_M
    Free Member

40 mile round trip on a very green Kona Jake the Snake, full guards and road tyres.

Although I do use my proper road bike on warm sunny days.

Looking at something with a hib gear and disc brakes though when our c2w scheme comes in.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

generally work from home, so its the stairs. 😆

Now the weather is crap i’m looking for a fixie to nip out on a morning with.

plumber
    Free Member

7 miles on’t road bike or 8 miles along river lea on’t inbred

lovely

Baby wipes as not allowed to use the executive shower that doesn’t get used 🙁

scruff
    Free Member

Roatrat with Alfine, need to put my CX tyres on now really.

rewski
    Free Member

30 mile round trip on a Trek 8500 HT with Schwable Marathon Plus tyres.

Gary_M
    Free Member

samuri what do you think of the genesis day one? That’s on my ‘maybe’ list but hopefully the 11 speed version. How is it on the hills?

ski
    Free Member

At the moment, for my 15 mile round trip, this:

Inbred 29er, running slick/worn Schwalbe CX pro’s in November still!

Could do with some mudguards, not found anything neat that fits the front yet?

2tyred

20 mile round trip on a 48:16 Pearson Hanzo fixed. Frame about to be replaced by a Cross Check partly because I fancy a change and want to run homebrew ice tyres in the winter this year.

Pyro

My own two feet, normally.

mocha
    Free Member

16 miles on a fixed Crosscheck

DezB
    Free Member

The appropriately named
    Rocky Mountain Solo
    (the solo bit, not the Rocky Mountain 🙂 )

Or my Saab.
    Depending on day/weather/timeofmonth/childcare arrangements etc

Oh it’s about 15miles each way depending on route

Nick

Pompino, 20 miles ew, about once a week on average, work from home or long way away the rest of the time.

Bazz

46 mile round trip on this

wors

kona dew drop at the moment, 16 mile round trip 5 days a week.

jonba
    Free Member

6 miles each way on this

Although it now runs full guards and a bigger gear.

Alex

My old London Commuter.

Coyote Commuter by Alex Leigh, on Flickr
    Was ace. Hit a merc one night, stoved in his wing, lightly dented my front wheel.

Then when I moved to somewhere you could take your bike on the train

Roadrat on the train by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Last year changed to this

Cotswold Road Ride by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Anywhere between 20 and 40 miles but not everyday.

Now I don’t commute. Miss the riding, don’t miss the train!

rob
    Free Member

20 miles a day
    42×16 fixed

on one pompino by robertjohnkay, on Flickr

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Singlespeed Roadrat, but recently reduced to only a few miles a day

svender

Thought I’d shove this in here. My low maintenance commuter: Singlespeed, Belt, Discs, Easy.

Hadge
    Free Member

One of these next year 😀

samuri
    Free Member

samuri what do you think of the genesis day one? That’s on my ‘maybe’ list but hopefully the 11 speed version. How is it on the hills?

I really like it. Bit heavy, but I’m strong. I can get it the hills round ours usually. Mine is fixed. I have a friend who has the rofl hub version and he runs out of gears on the road sometimes.

The Lyra brakes were terribly dangerous although I believe the new Day one has been updated to not have them on.

jamest
    Free Member

23 mile round trip on old dialled prince albert with rigid fork and 2.3 slicks

ndthornton
    Free Member

Anyone do more than 26 mile round trip?
    This realy is knackering and Im thinking of moving closer as I have dosed off a few times during the day 🙁

Davesport

One of these

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, if you read up there, loads of people do…

I do 46 miles 2-3 days a week, have to drive halfway to do that, can’t bring myself to do it any more often! About 130 sets of traffic lights each way too.

The upside is that my 5 second power output is now awesome.

13 miles each way isn’t very much, take it a bit easier, make sure you eat beforehand, and preferably have something when you get to work.

ourmaninthenorth

Yep. Current round trip is 50 miles. I manage this once a week at best at the moment (for a whole host of reasons).

Previous commute was 34 miles round trip. Used to do that 5 days a week (but no riding at the weekend). I was pretty tired come Friday..!

ndthornton
    Free Member

Sorry that sounds rubbish – I meant 46 miles round trip – 23 each way – doh

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, 32 miles each way for me, lot of offroad which in winter makes it pretty hard. 4-5 times a week.

At first I would be so tired I couldn’t or didn’t want to ride at the weekend but over time that’s become a non-issue. I probably still do ride less at the weekend but that’s more because I don’t feel that I *need* to any more, weekend becomes more of a fun time rather than something I should be doing to keep fit.

I’ve just been off the bike for a couple of weeks with a broken rib and I was mister angry. Glad I’m back now. It still hurts a lot and my breathing is affected but being back on the bike is worth it.

gamo
    Free Member

20 miles a day on 1990 Claud Butler Criterium 531,Great bike!

ourmaninthenorth

Sorry that sounds rubbish – I meant 46 miles round trip – 23 each way – doh

Had I carried my previous commuting fitness through to the new commute, I reckon I’d do an average of twice a week (that’s the plan). Sadly, illness and months off the bike earlier this year has meant that isn’t (yet) realistic.

Not sure I’d do it more than three times a week – you still need to function at work and home..!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘What do you commute to work on?’ is closed to new replies.