Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • what classic bike item do you wish would make a comeback?
  • organic355
    Free Member

captaincarbon
    Free Member

+1 fpr suntour xc pro thubies.
    Onza bar ends….still have mine
    Onza white porcs
    girvin flex stem

Leku
    Free Member

I would buy one tomorrow now.

veedubba

What Theflatboy said about Nike SPDs. 2 pairs in the 90s here and both split across the sole. They were nice up to that point though…

I still have XC Pro thumbies going strong on my Clockwork, and a DCD, and a clear crudguard. Blue ano over purple though.

Most of the stuff that people mention would be good if it was reissued and brought up to date in the spirit of the original, rather than a straight copy, as some of it was pure garbage in use.

flange
    Free Member

I had a picture of one of these on the inside of my geography folder. I would have literally given body organs to own one

mark90
    Free Member

Another vote for clear crud guards. Front I think the Mk2 version and for rear the flat original single seat post mount race guards.

Orange friction addiction grips.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have a ’98 explosif which is still running around on X618’s and has a clear crud fitted 🙂 Unfortunatly I wore out my last classic flite Ti. I’ve never been that precious about period, I just use what works. To this day, its the MTB I use the most, it just feels right, somehow.

I also have a ’97 A-ha!, given to me by a very generous soul, which awaiting some TLC.

The bikes I lusted after when getting into MTB were the GT Lobo for DH and the Pace RC200 for XC.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Got to love the GT LTS ^^^

They looked absolutely class, and worked quite well I’m told, as I’ve never had a go of one.

I’d love to see mid 90s Kona paint jobs and decals come back. I’d probably even buy a modern Kona if they painted them up like that. 😉

Wozza
    Free Member

+1 for the LTS/STS. Lovely bikes.
    +1 for Massive tubed Cannondales
    +10000 for Pace box section frames.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Rainbow anodizing…I saw a set of Kooka cranks a while back that looked absolutely ace. Or perhaps I have no taste at all.

My idea of retro is stuff dating from 2003 (when I bought my first proper bike). 120mm bikes are in fashion, Marzocchi make ace forks again, after a brief flirtation with being gnar, Marins are boring again and the High Roller is the tyre of choice for many.

How little has changed.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oh I still love anodising too 🙂

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Onza Porcs – but made grippy and non-dangerous in the wet 😉
    Spesh FSR-DH a la Palmer
    GT Lobo

fuzzhead
    Free Member

oh and deffo +1 on massively tubed Cannondales 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ve got loads of purple anodising on my 2002 Lava Dome, I reckon it looks ace. It’s a bike, it should be shiny and a bit of fun, I reckon.

Oh, and Azonic should make the simple, plain silver or black double wall risers again. The best bars of the mid to late 90s. 8)

soundninjauk

mark90 – Member

Another vote for clear crud guards. Front I think the Mk2 version and for rear the flat original single seat post mount race guards.

I’ve got a set of those grips at home, not too worn at all. Squidgy as I recall.

D0NK

Still got some poohbah 2s I broke the soles on about 3 poohbahs kept getting warrantied replacements, the 2s had thicker soles, tread wore off pretty quick tho so a bit slippy now but used em a few times last summer.

Still got a very old flite ti (got a flite ti transalp too) they never went away, they did change the design but AFAIK still do the “classic” shape. Stopped doing the TT version tho, I quite fancy one of those.

Orange bombers? yeah got some originals and the anniversary editions lovely (but heavy) forks 🙂

Might have a LH xt thumbie knocking about somewhere too.

Think I’ll ask for the resurrection of UN72 bbs, sod CK headsets, these babies will outlast your frame 🙂

arthurcrabstick
    Free Member

Used to love this……..

juan
    Free Member

well just to let you know that the original flite with titanium rail are back. My LBS sell them for less than 90€

jameso

Proper tyres in skinwall.. that would look great. Always loved the cd finish with brown sidewall style and now we don’t use rim brakes..

mattsccm
    Free Member

Sian Roberts! 😀

jruk
    Free Member

Man-sized chainrings – I went to FoD with a 51t Pace ring. Took a while to get wound up but when it did…thankfully I had a pro-stop on the front to slow me down. On a clockwork. With white Porcs. Proper 90’s biking. 8)

Think my knees would pop now.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I still use a triangle bag now and again. And the only mudguards to have is clear!

Kuco

My LTS creaked like an old house.

Cannondale Prophet MX
    Cannondale old paint jobs rather than the bland colours they have now.
    Nice steel Konas
    Salsa Jelly Bean Al La Carte
    Klein Adroit

And always loved the Merlin Newsboy

jimster
    Free Member

Always lusted after a Fuquay steel frame as tested by Chipps.

If we are talking mass-produced, a 90’s steel Kona.

skybluestu
    Free Member

Chas Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.L.O.X 1st generation frame was always a want for me circa 1992?

Dark-Side

Salsa Jelly Bean Al La Carte

I had a 1990 original Ross Schafer A La Carte in jelly bean until about 2002, when I moved from Leamington Spa to Norwich. I left it at my old house for ages and when I got around to collecting it my old house mates had moved out and there was no sign of my Salsa. 🙁

meehaja
    Free Member

Blue LX, Red DX, Black XT. I’d also like to see oddysey shark bite pedals, just to remember the pain.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve used a lot of the gear mentioned in this thread and conclude that it was mostly rubbish. DCDs made a racket, smoke and darts were heavy and puncture prone, flexstems: dreadfulness only matched by rear suspension design of a Proflex (I should know, I had one). Skinwall tyres looked good for one ride.

The good stuff (thumbies, flite saddles, Shimano cup and cone hubs) you can still buy today.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Ooh OOh OOh…..jusy found my clear crud guard in the loft! 😀

one_bad_mofo

I’ve still got two Cool Tools that get taken out and occassionally used along with Pedro’s Milk Levers.

The stuff I’d like to see make a comeback?

Axo Pony boots. The orignal design, the one with the SPD sole and not the very first ones. Also miss being able to buy ODI Tomac grips and Onza Ulesses(?) grips. And would love to have a Suntour XC Pro MicroDrive groupset to hang off the Kona Explosif I couldn’t afford back in 1990 when I got my Lavadome. Oh, and bring back Covent Garden Cycles wher EI bought my Kona and which later had a big Mint Suace mural on one wall of the shop.

soundninjauk

I used to have a clear old school crud guard on my old Orange P7 (the chrome/silver one as seen in the latest Singletrack wanted bikes bit). Unfortunately I broke it when I stacked it in the Lakes a few years ago, and sold the bike pretty soon after that.

It was too small for me for sure, but I still kinda regret selling it, bloody gorgeous bike.

therealhoops
    Free Member

Cannondale KillerV – my first proper mtb, loved it, light as ****
    XT thumbies – smooooooth
    Poohbahs – naturally
    Farmer Jon tyres
    Sunset rims – nothing blinger

mark90
    Free Member

soundninjauk – Member

mark90 – Member

I’ve got a set of those grips at home, not too worn at all. Squidgy as I recall. [/quote]

Dual compound with a soft tacky outer rubber. Comfy without gloves as long as your hands didn’t get sweaty as then they became too tacky. Worn a few pairs out.

mark90
    Free Member

Still use my old school clear crud guards on my old school 02…

And I still use my cool tool too

bigjim

Have we done shark fin yet?

I still have one in the tool box, and a clear crud catcher 😳

Northwind

Not all that long since they stopped being a proper current item, but the last version of the rear crudcatcher was the best mudguard ever made (3-bolt, short-arm, long blade, sorted). Then they replaced it with the rubbish new version, which after various redesigns now almost works.

dlr

ah Poobahs, I had a pair, brillaint shoes, only issue I ever had with them was trying to undo the laces when wet hence why I went for velcro style for my next pair of spd shoes

Still rocking a hite rite on my Lightning Pro which ive owned from new, currently has some RC36’s on it but a Flexstem in this photo. Has its original 1992 XC Pro front mech and thumbshifter! Rest is a bit more modern as it was my only bike up till 5 years ago, now semi retired

nick3216
    Free Member

River crossings in races. My first ever race was the BMBF nationals at Broxa forest near Scarborough. Can’t remember the year, but there were around 3 crossings a lap. weather was apalling, there were even North Face igloo tents on the hills for you to take refuge in if you had a problem. I think some guy was even fetched down off the hills with Hypothermia after trying to fix a flat. Proper racing.

92 I think. Never mind the river crossings that MX track was brutal.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The paintjob on that Breezer is as close to perfect as can be. Love it.

I rode with Joe around that period. What a lovely, lovely man. Passionate about bikes and a lovely man to spend time with.

GDRS

Love big tubed ridgid ‘Dales – M900 / Beast of the East etc.

Doing it all in hiking boots and toe straps…….

Not wearing a helmet………

A stem with a quill……….

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘what classic bike item do you wish would make a comeback?’ is closed to new replies.