Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • what classic bike item do you wish would make a comeback?
  • Dibbs
    Free Member

Poobah’s where the most comfy MTB shoes I’ve ever had.
    I prefer the old shape Crud Guard over the newer curvy flimsy types.

timber

X-lite stuff – finally got the fly stem I coveted, it’s on the GF’s bike currently.

XXYZX forks or however it was spelt, looked so hard core at the time

spin – tri spoke wheels

Pace DH bike

edit: just seen a ‘dale Killer V head shock on ebay, I’ll have that too along with a Klein Mantra for a SS project

16stonepig
    Free Member

Jon – bet you’ve still got one of those.

boltonjon

16stonepig – Member
    Jon – bet you’ve still got one of those.

I wish i did! I had two back in the mid-90s, lent them both to a mate and he lost them both. How on earth do you lose two awesome Etto helmets??

he owes me bigtime!!

GW
    Free Member

8 speed XT cassettes
    Mavic 121s
    bling Blings and slow reezay Dual ply DHFs
    and the pricing.

martymac

id love to see some proper shimano thumbies again.
    id buy them, light. simple, reliable, no need for stupid indicator windows etc. . . .

nick3216
    Free Member

Karimor polartec 100 base layer

jruk
    Free Member

Bula hats…

ok, maybe not

dawson

Mk1 Crud rear mud guard that mounts on the rack mounts.

I’ve still got a Rox hoodie ‘On the 7th day he rode’ (cheesy!) and ‘Max Air – just get high’ (rip off of an old Nike slogan) 😳

GW
    Free Member

oh.. and 80p a litre fuel

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Cheesey slogan t shirts. Used to wear this while out on the bike!

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Scott AT-4 or even better the AT-4 Pro curvy handlebars, perhaps in a C21st width.

filks

Kona Explosif. Still want one.
    Totally pointless pauls components pineapple hubs in a zillion anodized colours
    Snowflake spoke lacing
    Halson inversion fork
    Brakes that didn’t work if you were going fast or it was wet

tazzymtb

scott AT4 bars
    white onza procupines
    my dave lloyd that I sold as a student because I was skint 😥

billyboulders
    Free Member

Tioga factory mud tyres, maybe rose tinted specs but I remember them being great winter tyres and far less draggy than trailrakers. Could be down to the super skinny 1.85 width tho!

brakes
    Free Member

Axo Mission SPD shoes in blue suede.
    who decided that bright blue suede would be good for mountain biking?
    who cares, they were aweseom.
    (can’t find a picture of them anywhere though)

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Mavic 618s – Double-eyeletted, wide and indestructible!
    Clear crudguards – Still got one, but each time I squeeze it into the car, another bit falls off.

andrewh
    Free Member

Tioga factory mud tyres, maybe rose tinted specs but I remember them being great winter tyres and far less draggy than trailrakers. Could be down to the super skinny 1.85 width tho!

No, they were great! I had the SL version, about 390g each.
    Finished them off in the snow last winter, excellent snow tyre. Panaracer Fire XC Muds for snow use now, good but not as good.

amodicumofgnar

Karimor polartec 100 base layer

Think I’ve still got one of those somewhere – the one with road and mountain graphic on the back.

I’d like to see Zamberland Bikelite boots back again.

Sanny
    Free Member

Cool Tool.

Suntour micro drive groupset especially the grease guard xc pro set up

WTB frames.

XC Pro thumbies.

Breezed steel frames circa 1990 ish.

Ground Control tyres.

Muddy Fox bikes before they lost their way.

Frame pads – Muddy Fox ones were the best.

Cheers

Sanny

andrewh
    Free Member

Proper old Shimano hubs that last forever (20 years and counting on my Exages, and they still do more miles than any other hub I own and get less servicing)

Hmmm. Mine are 19 years old and the front has packed up already, a year or so ago actually. Rear still seems Ok though.
    Could have back the idea that a ‘standard’ was one size/dimension/fitting/etc that all manufacturers would use in order to ensure compatibility? Seemed quite sensible to me. Anyone remember everything being advertised as ‘Shimano compatible’? (except some Gipshifters, the Sachs ones were though)

AlasdairMc

The Cannondale multi-tool. My reason for this is that I got mine in around 1996, and the plastic fell off it last week. Tools are still good though.

My Cool Tool still gets regular use though as a pedal spanner.

I miss the DCD, and also the Cog Hog as a nice precursor to Shadow mechs.

fingz999
    Free Member

Haha I still have a DCD my bike in the shed with the mavics I’m selling has it on its even yellow to match the bike lol triangle bags were cool and held loads of stuff till I had a full sus

ell_tell
    Free Member

These. Always coveted a pair but never got any 🙁

mattbee

I’d raise a herd of cattle just to slaughter them with a rusty bent ladle if it meant I could have a pair of 217 sunset rims again.

I miss the old Stif adverts in MBUK, hours spent creating my dream build in my head as a teenager back in the early 90s. MBi mag too, every pic a powerslide but my fave of all the mags.

oldgit
    Free Member

ell_tell I was just about to post those. Sunsets, I never got any neever.

Did someone mention Flite Ti’s? They went but came back again.

Short travel sussers, I’d love a Sugar again.

jruk
    Free Member

Accu Trax forks
    Bulleye hubs and cranks
    Not worrying about if I’ve got the specific kit for the specific trail type and just getting on with it.

jruk
    Free Member

flap_jack
    Free Member

The original Red Bull route at Coed-y-Brenin

jameso

‘proper xc’. Like what we call trail riding now but less stopping, less focus on tech of bike and trail, less of the ‘2hrs or so is a decent ride’, more out all day riding for a mini adventure. Spirit of 87. ) sandwiches and wellies and simple bikes. Or something like how it was before dh radness came along ) rose-tints are on this am!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Folks, the Pineapple hub was by Clark Kent.

/anorak.

IHN

Roox t-shirts.

Purple.

Cannondales with tubes the size of drainpipes

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Proper SunTour XC Pro.friction thumbies.

purser_mark
    Free Member

+1 for Poohbahs, there were great
    Proflex rigs with Girvin forks
    Klien Mantra’s
    Friction shift DX thumbies
    The original Flite Titanium
    Marin Titaniums

Answer Manitou full suss rig, that was a thing of beauty
    http://mombat.org/1192Manitou3.jpg

My 1999 Reynolds 853 Kona Explosif
    The first time I rode a bike with suspension forks and the revelation that was, all 35mm of travel from a Pace RC35 with floppy carbon legs, earth shattering. No more stopping halfway down descents to shake out the arm pump, no you could go three quaters of the way now! 😀

Happy days, life seemes simple then!

theflatboy
    Free Member

mattbee – Member

I miss the old Stif adverts in MBUK, hours spent creating my dream build in my head as a teenager back in the early 90s.

likewise for me. stif and i would read every word of, pretty much!

theflatboy
    Free Member

by the way, for everyone going on about how good Nike Poobahs were, I had two of the original colour, on both of which the soles cracked and were replaced, and then some of the grey and blue ones which did the same. they did look nice and were comfy, though!

younggeoff

Fortunate enough to have a yoeddy with sunsets on ringle hubs, only comes out to play on sunny days though 🙂

amplebrew

theflatboy – Member
    by the way, for everyone going on about how good Nike Poobahs were, I had two of the original colour, on both of which the soles cracked and were replaced, and then some of the grey and blue ones which did the same. they did look nice and were comfy, though!

The exact same thing happened to me.

Loved them though and I still think they were the best looking shoe’s; Blue with a green swoosh and WCS stripes 8)

redted
    Free Member

River crossings in races. My first ever race was the BMBF nationals at Broxa forest near Scarborough. Can’t remember the year, but there were around 3 crossings a lap. weather was apalling, there were even North Face igloo tents on the hills for you to take refuge in if you had a problem. I think some guy was even fetched down off the hills with Hypothermia after trying to fix a flat. Proper racing.

vinnyeh

I miss the old Stif adverts in MBUK, hours spent creating my dream build in my head as a teenager back in the early 90s.

What about the Wades Cycles ones. Mindbogglingly un-pc.

Read through everyone’s posts, and there’s not really any bike parts there that are as good as, or better than what’s available today.

Obviously those clamouring for flex stems and hite rites didn’t use them. 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘what classic bike item do you wish would make a comeback?’ is closed to new replies.