Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • what car?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Audi s3, better than the golf and just about in budget now for 2007 model.

loddrik
    Free Member

Or BMW 330d, or even a 123d, fast and very economical.

philjunior
    Free Member

In what way is an Audi S3 better than a Golf, apart from being perceived as upmarket?

I have a feeling the OP may be trolling as he hasn’t said what he’s actually wanting…

How about an older car for a grand, and spend £16k on more important stuff? (or is it some company scheme that specifies age?)

liquid1000
    Free Member

I have a ford SMAX loads of room and plenty of power in 136pf diesel engine and they do a turbo nutter petrol version fromteh focus RS. Handling pretty good also.

flamejob
    Free Member

You all ignored :

thefallguy
    honda civic 1.8 – 140bhp 40+mpg 0.60 8.4
    fast enough and inexpensive to run, not a big cumbersome estate but just as practical. back seats fold flat and my bike fits in without having to take the wheels off

We nearly bought one, but are moving countries so will get something tattier.

will
    Free Member

£17k

£19k

£16k

£17.5k

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not being funny, but those prices and pictures you’ve posted convince me it’s not worth spending that much on a motor Will.

The only special looking one is the Alfa – and I know they don’t look so great in the flesh.

I like the suggestion of a 330d though.

philjunior
    Free Member

Technically the motor from the Smax is in the RS (after some rework). It’s (at least pretty much) the same engine as the Focus ST.

IGMC.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

thanks all,thats a real help.im sorry its a purely second car/luxury.got a traffic van for normal running around/bike duties…

its the last car before kids/settling down/garden centre visits etc!

i like the idea of the boxster/Z3.not had a soft top before….

thanks for all the ideas though

Jimbo
    Free Member

…want something fun/cool/my age(37) and that i can enjoy owning….

…thanks all,thats a real help.im sorry its a purely second car/luxury.got a traffic van for normal running around/bike duties. its the last car before kids/settling down/garden centre visits etc!

If that’s the case then hatchbacks and whatnot should be the last thing on the list. As you’ve a car for normal car duties, you want something fun and for one last automotice “hurrah”, then go for someting oddball that you’ve always wanted. A classic is always good. Something to own, cherish and enjoy, rather than just “use” like you would a Golf/A3/washing machine/toaster.
    (Proper) Alfa Spider (boat tail)
    Lancia Fulvia?
    Lancia Delta HF Integrale?
    Triumph Stag?

£17K will get you a perfect (concours!) one with thousands spare. Look after it and it’ll only ever appricate in value. A nice classic is a joy to behold and drive 🙂

Or if you want something a bit more modern:
    Lotus Elise
    Caterham/Westfield
    Alfa Brera
    Honda S2000
    Jaguar XK

…or indeed anything that’d be utterly useless at anything other than petrolhead toy.

EDIT: And at risk of being lynched for mentioning Clarkson, if you consider yourself a true petrolhead, then it had to be an Alfa of some description. Not that I’m biased at all. No. 😉

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

How can an Audi A3 be better than a Golf?? It’s the same car,just (even)more expensive.There are better ways to spend your money.

alwyn
    Free Member

Can easily pick them up for 15-29k

Jimbo
    Free Member

…and then spend the same every couple of years running it! Seriously, the costs of these things are eye-watering, with even the slightest job running into the thousands. They’re also somewhat unreliable, meaning inconvenience at best, horrendous bills at worst/usually following.
    Unless you’re happy with the idea of dropping £2000+ on a clutch every couple of years (they don’t last long), £200/corner rear tyre (lifetime measured in minutes), are prepared for routine services to range between £600 and £3000+ AND can cope with a mechnical disaster should the need arise (gearbox, engine etc), look elsewhere.

Incredible cars, but you pay for it!

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘what car?’ is closed to new replies.