Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • what car?
  • cycleworlduk
    Free Member

got a lease car at the mo,bmw 320 coupe,goes back in august.like it,had a few issues but made worse by the local dealer.love the shape/way it drives etc. what should i look at next? im buying,budget around the 15k-17k mark.want something fun/cool/my age(37) and that i can enjoy owning….

any ideas?

BadlyWiredDog

The Mondeo estate always gets good comments on here, though I guess it might be out of your price range. Folk say that it’s a real driver’s car unlike the Vectra. Maybe doesn’t have the image of the Beemer, but would probably show it a clean pair of wheels on most roads, I think. That or a Renault Laguna, they look lovely.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Vauxhall Meriva’s are where it’s at for the late 30s gentleman. You can get a bike in the back flat without taking any wheels off, and you can pick a decent second hand one up from a Vauxhall dealer for say £6 – £7K. Now tell me, how much fun could you have with the remaining £10K??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, the Mondeo would be a good shout. As would a second hand hotter Volvo V70, something like a T5 or a AWD-T if you can find one.

SKoda Octavia VRS second hand as well, lovely beasts!

With that budget, you’re laughing. Plenty of choice out there.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d wait till your in your mid 40’s and get the ultimate ‘cool dad’ car – Impreza Turbo. Make sure you get yourself and your son matching Subaru fleeces.

petrieboy

buy your current car from the lease company – the last thing they want is a car back to valet, repair, warranty and retail or auction. find out bottom book is for your car, take off a bit for transport and auction fees, offer them that and they’ll probably bite your hand off!

one careful owner??

BadlyWiredDog

Yep, the Mondeo would be a good shout.

that was a joke you muppet 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nah, ‘Deos are really rather good! Seriously.

Harry_the_Spider

SAAB.

End

alwyn
    Free Member

Jaguar XKR or MASERATI 4200.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

I agree with Harry_the_Spider

Here’s mine. (dealer photo from when I bought it)

BadlyWiredDog

Saab, LOL – you could buy a 911 or a Boxter, something half decent for that money. A Saab… hhahahahahaha… hmmmmm….

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog. Excuse my ignorance but where do I buy a 911 or a Boxster that fits me, my wife and my son all at the same time?

crikey
    Free Member

Honda FRV. 3 peeps, 3 bikes or 6 peeps.

DavidB
    Free Member

RX8

BadlyWiredDog

BadlyWiredDog. Excuse my ignorance but where do I buy a 911 or a Boxster that fits me, my wife and my son all at the same time?

Where did the original poster say that he wanted to take you, your wife and son with him in his car? 🙂

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

He didn’t.

thefallguy
    Free Member

honda civic 1.8 – 140bhp 40+mpg 0.60 8.4
    fast enough and inexpensive to run, not a big cumbersome estate but just as practical. back seats fold flat and my bike fits in without having to take the wheels off

BadlyWiredDog

He didn’t.

And so… yes, your comment has no relevance whatsoever. Here’s your coat 😉

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

If I remember correctly, on the last car thread I posted on, you admitted owning a MK3 Golf GTI, which you think is a let down. Just think, instead of buying that you could have probably have bought a 911 or a Boxster or something half decent.

BadlyWiredDog

If I remember correctly, on the last car thread I posted on, you admitted owning a MK3 Golf GTI, which you think is a let down. Just think, instead of buying that you could have probably have bought a 911 or a Boxster or something half decent.

Er, you tell me where I can find a 911 or a Boxster that’s not made by Tamiya or Corgi for 700 quid…

The point is that the OP has £15-17k to spend on a car. He likes his BMW coupe which doesn’t really suggest that he’s looking for a family-friendly estate wagon. And you are seriously suggesting that he buy a Saab. And then when I point out that he could buy a nice Porsche for that sort of dosh, you leap in and claim that he wants to carry your entire family around with him, which is really just wishful thinking…

Have you been drinking?

solamanda
    Free Member

Brycey
    Free Member

Mk 5 Golf GTI. Quality chassis, engine and interior.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

Yes. Just at the end of a lovely bottle of red. Thanks for asking.

He likes his BMW coupe which doesn’t really suggest that he’s looking for a family-friendly estate wagon.

First response to the OP suggested a Mondeo Estate. Oh, that was you.

BadlyWiredDog

Doh, when I suggested the Mundano estate I was in fact mocking the tendency of people on this forum to perversely hold up estate cars as objects of automotive desire. The fact that people took it seriously tells you everything you need to know. Anyway, I’m just being mean, don’t mind me, you just keep drinking and driving your Saab, mate 🙂

solamanda
    Free Member

Baron_von_drais – are you pissed off that you bought a car that’s now made by a ruined car company or are your knickers in a twist?

It’s just a car!!

waihiboy
    Free Member

Golf GTI Ediion 30

Brycey
    Free Member

Seconded – best car Ive ever had! You got one Waihiboy!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not usually interested in cars that cost as much as you’re talking about, but those new Sciroccos are about the price you’re looking at aren’t they?

Not as nice looking as the old ones, but quite attractive by modern standards and apparently very nice to drive too.

Or embrace middle age, buy a new Mondeo and watch as it plummets in value over the coming years.

Brycey
    Free Member

Scirrocos are closer to 20k with smaller engine, and a bit over otherwise.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

you just keep drinking and driving your Saab, mate

But obviously not at the same time 😉

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

I too will endorse the MK5 GTI – I had one before the work of the devil I now have.

Brycey / Waihiboy,

Im saying a very sad goodbye to my mk5 golf gti in a few months – 100,000mls in 3 yrs, the best car ive ever owned, despite a massive loss in power over the last 20,000 miles….

Looking closely at a scirocco next, but not sure how practical the smaller hatchback would be for bike carrying duty?

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I’d add another vote for Octavia VRS 😉

Brycey
    Free Member

Photobucket

Funny you should say that, I got rid of my 90,000 miler GTI a few months a go and I couldn’t decide if it was slower or I was just used to it. Replaced it with this Ed30 DSG which is noticably gruntier – cracking car!

PePPeR

I’m sorry BadlyWiredDog, but everyone knows that the recommended estate for a singletrack forum reader is the Skoda Octavia Estate.

Buy one now, you won’t regret it!!

PS, don’t listen to me I own a Kia!

MoreCashThanDash

*waits for Saab owners to refer to them as “the Koenigsegg diesel estate”*

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’d say a SAAB, ignore the hype and get some comfort. Or my mate’s Jag (4l engine, 7mpg, lovely drive) for £400.

Brycey – mine is a company / lease car, and despite being noticeably slower, the lease company and VW both say there is nothing wrong, even though ts out of warranty…. At the last service the diagnostics computer picked up serious faults with the fuel injection system, but the leasing company wouldnt pay to fix it, but said to wait until it breaks down!! Just what you want to know when planning on driving to the alps in the summer!!

Brycey
    Free Member

Ach, you’ll be fine. Positive mental attitude. Mine was an ’05 so one of the first on the road, and despite a few niggles here and there never missed a beat. Alps bound in mine also.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘what car?’ is closed to new replies.