Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • What British treats can’t you get in Germany?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

She’s going on a bus trip for 14 hours, in summer. How on Earth can she take bacon??! Even if it survived it would be a supremely odd house visiting gift.

montgomery
    Free Member

She can’t take a roast dinner on a 14 hour bus trip FFS

That’s the point. She doesn’t have to take anything – I’d rather a visitor showed me how to cook a new, unfamiliar dish with locally available products than simply throw some ultra-processed, over packaged sh!te at me. And anyone who thinks a roast dinner isn’t good isn’t doing it right. My sister’s German husband much preferred this kind of traditional food to the bland stuff he grew up on.

alpin
    Free Member

Kimmt drauf oan wo der Bub augwachsn ist….

Preiß?

slowoldman

It may no longer be the case but it used to be de rigeur (though in German of course) to take flowers when visiting.

rickmeister

Wurst Kaise scenario is the flowers get eaten but personally I’d prefer a pie. They usually have enough preservatives in them to survive a nuclear winter….

I can just imagine how greasy and yummy that would be after 14hrs on a bus in central Europe in summer….

alpin
    Free Member

Fray Bentos?

hot_fiat

Following Brex$hit you’re not meant to take any meat, processed or otherwise, or dairy products from the UK into the EU. We are persona non grata, for obvious reasons. Even going back to Ireland it’s supposedly forbidden.

Jaffa cakes?

A Viz annual?

A king charlie tea towel?

molgrips
    Free Member

She doesn’t have to take anything – I’d rather a visitor showed me how to cook a new, unfamiliar dish with locally available products than simply throw some ultra-processed, over packaged sh!te at me

She’s a 14 year old schoolkid not Gordon bloody Ramsey! She can cook a few basic items but not much more. In any case, it’s tradition to bring a small gift when visiting people’s houses in Germany. When the exchange student came here she gave us chocolates, for which we were grateful because it’s a nice gesture and we’re not snobs.

sparkyrhino

Another Rail franchise😉

colp

Decaf tea bags and proper bacon

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Decaf tea bags and proper bacon

Awaits another tirade from molgrips about people having the damnable temerity to respond in good faith to his OP with suggestions….

😏

montgomery
    Free Member

She’s a 14 year old schoolkid not Gordon bloody Ramsey!

Oh, in that case, easy – Lucozade and Monster Munch. But for the full teenage Brit experience, they should then be encouraged to go outside to somewhere nice, maybe a park, and dump all the resulting litter. Preferably close to a litter bin.

alpin
    Free Member

German kids ain’t cool enough to vape. Maybe she could introduce that trend.

colp

A nice big jar of Stevia sweetener.

Sarsons vinegar

colp

Proper gloss paint, like Dulux One Coat or similar

johnners
    Free Member

Proper gloss paint, like Dulux One Coat or similar

She’s a 14 year old schoolkid not Max bloody Ernst!

molgrips
    Free Member

😆

d42dom

When I visit my daughter and ex wife I usually get asked for  Robinsons orange squash, Bisto Gravy and cheap paracetamol from Tesco. I used to have to bring biscuit selection boxes, Frey Bentos pies and Walkers crisps. I think apart from Frey Bentos the biscuit and crisp selection has improved from paprika or peanut flavour… I do like the peanut flavour though.

rickmeister

…bring a small gift…

Rishi Sunak…

The Boris Johnson book of actual facts…

A carrot in a box…

ButtonMoon

Proper take away curry!

Tea bags

Daddies brown sauce + back bacon

jonswhite

I’ve never found Tangfastics

andrewreay

Marmalade.

Proper coarse stuff, not the orange jelly.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.